Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat closing eye

• 14-04-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I have an approx 6yr old male cat. He had been abandoned at about 2yrs of age, so i adopted him and got him neutered. He tries to make friends with the neighbourhood cats, but not all are as friendly as him and sometimes it ends in scraps and scratches. I noticed last night that he was keeping one eye shut a bit. He is able to open the eye, pupil is reacting normally and the eye looks fine - no discharge or anything. I was able to just look under the eye lid and it is red, whereas under the other one it isn't. Just wondering if it is worth a trip to the vets tomorrow with him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I would say bring him to the vet just to be safe, eye complaints are very painful, and are extremely treatable yet can get so so bad if left for too long! Some ointment should sort out the redness for you! In the meantime use cooled teabags to give his eye some relief :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

LOL, i hardly think he's going to let me put a teabag on his face! I will take him to the vets though if he's still closing it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He might have got a scratch on the surface of the eye - a corneal ulcer. Very painful, OP. Deffo bring him to the vet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

mel.b wrote: »
    LOL, i hardly think he's going to let me put a teabag on his face! I will take him to the vets though if he's still closing it tomorrow.

Use some cold tea and cotton wool to clean his eye! My cats always try take the teabag to play with it! My Smudge is always hurting her eyes

Advertisement