Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ennis

• 14-04-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i have seen where tesco ireland r in advanced discussions with nama to acquire a large development site on the outskirts of ennis with a view to building a very large supermarket similar to coonagh cross or the large one in naas.in addition they will be trialing a dobbies garden centre.com.they also plan for a pharmacy, opticians and bistro style cafe/ eatery.

car parking is being put at over 600 spaces.the development will include a creche and other child friendly free services.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A few capital letters would really make that easier to read.

Have you any links to articles or anything like that that would contain a bit more details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Hope this doesn't go through myself. Drain more footfall out of the town. Going to end up with the donut effect that ruined Limerick city center. Let them redevelop the current premises and put up a carpark like Dunnes did.. not that the town really has a shortage of spaces anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

souza64 wrote: »
    i have seen where tesco ireland r in advanced discussions with nama to acquire a large development site on the outskirts of ennis with a view to building a very large supermarket similar to coonagh cross or the large one in naas.in addition they will be trialing a dobbies garden centre.com.they also plan for a pharmacy, opticians and bistro style cafe/ eatery.

car parking is being put at over 600 spaces.the development will include a creche and other child friendly free services.

the overstaffed and underworked planing dept in clare co co gonna have fun with this:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast with this 1 and say that I think it's an absolute disgrace that the Tesco in Ennis is the state it is and they should be allowed build their new shop, the location by the West County would have been ideal but didn't happen.

I know a lot of business and people fear about what'll happen if Tesco moves out of where they are, imvho not many people park in Tesco and walk up town, I also think it's very tough on them to have to supply parking to Cusask Park, for half the Sundays of the year you don't go near Tesco cause you won't get near it. Also, Tesco have said that they will not close their existing store, just change it to a Tesco Express type shop. Personally I tend to shop in either Tesco Kilrush or Coonagh cause it's just easier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There is already a Tesco there, the town has a Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes and a lot of other ones. It would likely leave a car park with more spaces where the current one is.

The sherwood did do up their restaurant so it would hit them badly if tesco move out.

Parking is way too expensive around town with gives me more of a reason to go to coonagh cross and aldi/lidl, both have free parking.

The current tesco is a disgrace. The staff are helpful there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Pardon me for intruding:

I live in Newbridge & I have seen what has happened to Naas first hand since Tesco built their large store out on the Monread ( next to the Highway to Limerick/Cork/Waterford). While this was going on, Naas Town Council ( NTC) were building a large shopping centere right in the centre of Naas and Dunne's were supposed to be the anchor tenant. Whatever happened there, Dunne's pulled the plug, and eventually NTC also pulled the plug on that half built site.

Naas also has a terrible problem with parking, with €2 ( iirc) per hour or part thereof. Between all three occurances ( and probably another one or two ) the centre of Naas is a ghost town, with LOTS of shop fronts boarded up. Naas was once a beautiful town, still is, but to see all these derelict sites ( remember the Superquinn site is also deserted now) is a sad indictment on everything that's wrong with this once beautiful country.

As I say at the start, I am intruding, but I just want to paint the picture here so that Ennis doesn't become another Naas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Naas was once a beautiful town, still is, but to see all these derelict sites ( remember the Superquinn site is also deserted now) is a sad indictment on everything that's wrong with this once beauti
    As I say at the start, I am intruding, but I just want to paint the picture here so that Ennis doesn't become another Naas.

Your always welcome :D

I would be afraid of this happening, ennis is one of the few large towns nowadays that has a lot of the businesses still in town.

Everyone is terrified of Ennis turning into a ghost town cause of Tesco moving, but I would argue that Tesco doesn't bring that many people into town anyway and that their proposed site isn't that far out of town anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Mr. G wrote: »
    Your always welcome :D

I would be afraid of this happening, ennis is one of the few large towns nowadays that has a lot of the businesses still in town.

OK Mr. G, BUT now the SC where Tesco's in Naas is, has a Boots, an Argos, hairdressers, a coffee shop ( which must be up there with being the most expensive in this country), a butchery, Vodafone among others ( can't remember them all, sorry). ALL businesses which has taken from Naas Town Centre. YET NTC won't drop their parking fee...it's utter madness whats going on.

Sorry for the rant, and apologies for deviating...I only hope Ennis doesn't end up like Naas. You live in the MOST beautiful county in Ireland, it would be terrible to see Your largest town centre blighted by boarded up shop fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Don't think that's intruding Le Deux. Just giving us a taste of what's going to happen. There are enough supermarket options in Ennis already. We don't need two Tescos. That'd be ridiculous. If people want to drive 30 minutes to save 2 euro parking let them. I'm pretty sure it's costing them more in petrol.

Supermarkets always seem like a good idea initially but once they get established and kill off local business they run riot. It's probably going to happen eventually anyway but might as well not accelerate the process too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

The same argument over and over again ''doughnut effect'' ''doughnut effect'' ''doughnut effect''. It's like a broken record (which incidentally you can no longer get in Ennis) at this stage. Ennis is already dead its a town full of pound shops,chippers,mobile phone shops,and charity shops not to mention cash for gold outlets there is very little left of the town centre to safeguard against the big evil shopping centre's as some people see them.What damage will a Tesco on the outskirts of town do to Ennis that hasn't already been done by years of trying to make Ennis into a 'Boutique' town.While it is admirable that businesses try to remain unique and independent but it just does not work in this day and age people can longer pay boutique prices How many people in Ennis can honestly say that they can get everything they need in town? My guess would be none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

dpofloinn wrote: »
    The same argument over and over again ''doughnut effect'' ''doughnut effect'' ''doughnut effect''. It's like a broken record (which incidentally you can no longer get in Ennis) at this stage. Ennis is already dead its a town full of pound shops,chippers,mobile phone shops,and charity shops not to mention cash for gold outlets there is very little left of the town centre to safeguard against the big evil shopping centre's as some people see them.What damage will a Tesco on the outskirts of town do to Ennis that hasn't already been done by years of trying to make Ennis into a 'Boutique' town.While it is admirable that businesses try to remain unique and independent but it just does not work in this day and age people can longer pay boutique prices How many people in Ennis can honestly say that they can get everything they need in town? My guess would be none

Well one thing for sure if this goes ahead with a mall type store with pharmacies, restaurants, phone shops etc. it will put even more pressure on the small shops of Ennis that are trying to eke out a living.

I guarantee you that there are another dozen businesses at least that are on the edge of staying open. This would finish them off, causing unemployment, boarded up shops etc.

Read up about it, the Americans have sold their souls to the Wall Marts and Home Depots of the worlds, Big Box Swindle is a great book to see the detriment on small towns that large stores cause. This is the same thing on a smaller scale.

I disagree that Ennis is full of useless shops like chippers and gold shops etc. that you say. We have some nices Cafes, bakeries, bike shops, hardware stores, gift and book shops in the town centre.

Why on earth do we need a super sized Tesco store when we have Dunnes, Tesco , Lidl and Aldi already? West Clare are served well by Kilrush and East Clare by Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

buck65 wrote: »
    Well one thing for sure if this goes ahead with a mall type store with pharmacies, restaurants, phone shops etc. it will put even more pressure on the small shops of Ennis that are trying to eke out a living.

I guarantee you that there are another dozen businesses at least that are on the edge of staying open. This would finish them off, causing unemployment, boarded up shops etc.

Read up about it, the Americans have sold their souls to the Wall Marts and Home Depots of the worlds, Big Box Swindle is a great book to see the detriment on small towns that large stores cause. This is the same thing on a smaller scale.

I disagree that Ennis is full of useless shops like chippers and gold shops etc. that you say. We have some nices Cafes, bakeries, bike shops, hardware stores, gift and book shops in the town centre.

Why on earth do we need a super sized Tesco store when we have Dunnes, Tesco , Lidl and Aldi already? West Clare are served well by Kilrush and East Clare by Limerick.

For a start I never enter the above stores in Ennis. The Dunnes and Tesco available in Caherdavin is vastly superior, the shops are bigger, parking is easier and its easier to get there from the motorway.

If there was a shopping centre beside a motorway in the Ennis area I would use that, this would save me time and stress, and like most people that's all we really care about, not small shops in Ennis.

A shopping centre beside the motorway would create jobs which in turn offsets those that might be lost in the centre of town.

If you worked in Limerick for example and lived in Inagh then I would say everybody does their big grocery shopping in Caherdavin on the way home rather than Ennis on the way home.

For a start I never enter the above stores in Ennis. The Dunnes and Tesco available in Caherdavin is vastly superior, the shops are bigger, parking is easier and its easier to get there from the motorway.

If there was a shopping centre beside a motorway in the Ennis area I would use that, this would save me time and stress, and like most people that's all we really care about, not small shops in Ennis.

A shopping centre beside the motorway would create jobs which in turn offsets those that might be lost in the centre of town.

If you worked in Limerick for example and lived in Inagh then I would say everybody does their big grocery shopping in Caherdavin on the way home rather than Ennis on the way home.

Well unlike you I do care about the small shops in Ennis because like it or not these shops do support local employment, pay rates (albeit far too high) , use local services such as printers, local tradesmen etc that creates more business.
    For instance if my business wants to run a promotion do we use the local printers, papers for leaflets, signage etc? Absolutely wherever possible I do.

Will Tesco? Not a chance.

If I need work done in my shop do I employ a local tradesman? Yes .
    Do Tesco - no they bring down builders etc from the north or somewhere else.

Local accountants , solicitors etc. also benefit form local business. Tesco user their central offices for all work this so people in the UK or maybe Dublin do that work.

So there is more to it than saying a job gets replaced by a job.

Also these jobs are often filled with part time workers on minimum wage. I never worked for these companies but I do know that Dunnes won't tolerate Unions so I imagine not everyone is happy with their lot but maybe I'm wrong.

So what if you have to drive 20 minutes or half an hour to Coonagh to do your shopping. Work away, we all shop in these big stores but having them everywhere is detrimental to indigenous business.

If Tesco closed in Ennis and built out at the Ennis National School and replaced like with like that would be fine I think but they will look to double their store size and add in another 20 or so new shops/units added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Noone but the significantly well-off can shop in Ennis for clothes, blinds, curtains, furniture, computers and a lot else besides. Prices in Ennis are very high and there is very little to choose from.

A decent sized Tesco in Ennis would mean that I wouldn't be stopping in Coonagh on the way back from Limerick. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Balagan wrote: »
    . Prices in Ennis are very high and there is very little to choose from.

You have some sort of link or the like to back up this statement I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did I miss it? ........ what is the proposed location of the new Tesco?

At the end of the the day it comes down to survival of the fittest if the shops and businesses in Ennis are able to provide goods and services that people want and need then they have nothing to fear from Tesco,but if they cant then why should the people of Ennis and indeed Clare have to travel to Limerick for the things that a town the size of Ennis should have.

It can be argued all day, but Ennis needs to become more like Killarney a town of comparable size which manages to combine high street shops like Tesco,M&S,etc and its own indigenous local shops and businesses very successfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Palmach wrote: »
    You have some sort of link or the like to back up this statement I presume?

Just my brain, calculator and bank balance! And the accompanying scores of Clare people in Limerick with me doing their shopping and slowing down the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

souza64 wrote: »

Where did you see this ? Where is the development supposed to be?

The site opposite the West County has already been ruled out by the planning refusal so where is the proposed site you're referring to ?

• Advertisement

At the end of the the day it comes down to survival of the fittest if the shops and businesses in Ennis are able to provide goods and services that people want and need then they have nothing to fear from Tesco,but if they cant then why should the people of Ennis and indeed Clare have to travel to Limerick for the things that a town the size of Ennis should have.

It can be argued all day, but Ennis needs to become more like Killarney a town of comparable size which manages to combine high street shops like Tesco,M&S,etc and its own indigenous local shops and businesses very successfully

Hardly a level playing field now is it?

Ennis is well catered for, the big 4 are all here and Ryan's, Lynch's Centra and Roslevan provide decent alternatives too.

As I said fine if Tesco replaces like with like sizewise with better parking but you can be sure they will want to double their size and add a load of new stores that will put others out of business and eventually close up themselves leaving a ghost mall like in Jetland Limerick.

Ennis and Clare can not sustain flagship Dunnes and Tesco stores and have viable smaller businesses.

I know a business in Kilrush that is going to close soon because it can't compete with Aldi and Tesco, and it isn't a grocery shop.

These "boxes" want to have it all but sure it's convenient so why stop them.

I run a business that competes with much larger businesses and I guarantee you I am far cheaper than these companies. You might be surprised if you investigated prices a bit further.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Where did you see this ? Where is the development supposed to be?

The site opposite the West County has already been ruled out by the planning refusal so where is the proposed site you're referring to ?

Ennis National School (BNS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

buck65 wrote: »
    Ennis National School (BNS)

That doesn't tally with the initial poster on this;

"i have seen where tesco ireland r in advanced discussions with nama to acquire a large development site on the outskirts of ennis"

The old National school could not possibly be in NAMA or else its just more of the usual bullcrap rumour mill that does the rounds

Not sure had heard the BNS but in fairness there are plenty of sites outside Ennis I'm sure if they want to buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Balagan wrote: »
    Just my brain, calculator and bank balance! .

So you decided to have a livelinesgue whinge about prices but you have not one shred of evidence to back up what you said.

''I run a business that competes with much larger businesses and I guarantee you I am far cheaper than these companies. You might be surprised if you investigated prices a bit further.''

That's great that you have found a way for your business to compete and survive while others go to the wall,but for these businesses to blame Tesco and other large organisations for their demise is just a cop out , these businesses failed to adapt to the times we are in and sadly have paid the price.We all have overheads to pay but I don't see why I or anyone else should pay extra for goods or services just because its local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

If all the shops in Ennis were selling clothes made in liscannor or kilkee, fish from lough derg, potatoes from Inagh, beef from Crusheen, TVs and electronics made in Shannon, mobile phones made in Quin, then yes they might have a case.

If the reality is that most of what they sell is imported anyway then its just sour grapes, business is all about evolution.

Lets leave the EC and slap 50% tax on all imports and see where that leaves us.

All I hear you all mention is price. Is there not more to it than cost? Do you make a decision based only on price?

Do you buy your burgers in Tesco or do you go to the local butcher who sources his meat from traceable sources.

What about customer service. I like to buy wine from a small shop who will let you sample a bottle and give you a free bottle when you accumulate 10 bottles.

the boxes sell the same trash, mass produced for the masses. These malls are souless with European and English owned companies. Look at Grafton St in dublin you might as well be in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

''I run a business that competes with much larger businesses and I guarantee you I am far cheaper than these companies. You might be surprised if you investigated prices a bit further.''

That's great that you have found a way for your business to compete and survive while others go to the wall,but for these businesses to blame Tesco and other large organisations for their demise is just a cop out , these businesses failed to adapt to the times we are in and sadly have paid the price.We all have overheads to pay but I don't see why I or anyone else should pay extra for goods or services just because its local

in local retail for 30 years ,family buisness for almost 100.one thing ive noticed
    (seen a lot come and go) is the very people who lament the loss of a small local
    buisness didnt support it in the first place:mad:adapt my arse its about economies of scale and race to the bottom.i live eat drink etc here and MY ****ING TAX DOLLARS STAY HERE:mad:

• Advertisement

''All I hear you all mention is price. Is there not more to it than cost? Do you make a decision based only on price?''

Sort answer yes Price is everything I don't want to be your friend,I don't want to chit chat about the weather I just want to get what I came to town to get and go home.
    From what I can see from this thread the traders and merchants of Ennis don't like competition and it would seem they prefer to blame all their woes on big faceless multinationals

Advertisement