Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ennis

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Mr. G wrote: »
    If you look at the cresent, everything moved out- Its dead handy. M&S applied for planning outside of town but were refused. The council wanted them in town but they refused. Remember at christmas time years ago? Limerick used to be a brilliant place to shop and had a lovely atmosphere at Christmas.

I don't think Tesco will get planning. The council won't risk it. Ennis is a really nice town and we don't want to ruin it. I would be gutted if Ennis turned into something like the centre of Limerick.

But, if a tesco was built out there I would be reluctant to shop there. I do my best to shop locally, but I haven't time or the money. I would still shop in the same places. The one we have is a discrase.
    You could be speaking about up here in the midlands also. Our local tesco ( Newbridge) is also a disgrace, seems to have half empty shelves as the norm. We head up to the Hypermarket in Naas as it's got a good selection. But as has already been proved ( especially by that clip Mrs. D submitted) moving out of the town centre has a seriously detrimental effect on the town.

Hope You are right about Ennis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm afriad that's the viewpoint from a lot of families around. A lot of people have their salaries cut and are on high mortgages so can't afford to shop locally.

And of course thats where we discover just how committed the local shop is to bringing down the COL with their deductions.

Our local Centra has ( in all fairness to Him) brought down their prices a fair bit, and has to be commended for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    And of course thats where we discover just how committed the local shop is to bringing down the COL with their deductions.

Our local Centra has ( in all fairness to Him) brought down their prices a fair bit, and has to be commended for doing so.
    Centra is a very popular local convenience store, they've really upped their game in recent years and they've been achieving impressive sales results. They're part of the Musgrave Group along with Supervalu, Londis, Superquinn, Daybreak and Mace so together they've greater purchasing power and it's making it possible for them to deliver better choice and value to customers. The other great thing about the stores is that they're (mostly) independently owned by people who live within the community they serve.
    Centra success proves local shopping is still a favourite as sales hit €1.435 billion in 2012

25/02/2013

Centra has announced that it recorded retail sales of €1.435 billion in 2012. This performance underpins Centra’s position, as Ireland’s number one local convenience brand, serving over three million customers per week................

Centra remains committed to local employment and sourcing from Irish producers, purchasing over €1 billion of Irish goods, with 75% of all products sold in store produced or sourced in Ireland. This included €130 million of Irish fresh food in addition to over €40 million spent by Centra store owners on products sourced from suppliers within their local community.

http://www.musgravegroup.com/en/news/news_article/Centra_success_proves_local_shopping_is_still_a_favourite_as_sales_hit_1.435_billion.php

Centra to create 400 jobs as sales reach €1.4bn

"In 2012, we [Centra] increased value to our customers by 15pc, or almost €90m, through price reductions and continued to evolve our range to stay in tune with consumer trends.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/centra-to-create-400-jobs-as-sales-reach-14bn-29093708.html

Centra expansion promises 400 jobs

“Together with our retail partners we employ almost 10,000 people, making us one of the biggest employers in the country. As our stores are all locally owned, we also invest back into the community by sourcing from local producers and making a real difference by contributing to local sports clubs and charities.

For example, in 2012, our retailers spent €40m directly with local suppliers and also donated €2.1m to community organisations,” he said.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/centra-expansion-promises-400-jobs-223816.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Palmach wrote: »
    Your selfish viewpoint is of course one you are entitled to hold. But if that credo took hold across the economy how long before someone says to you "sorry mate I have someone who can do your job cheaper"

They did have someone to do my job cheaper. Me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Balagan wrote: »
    They did have someone to do my job cheaper. Me!

Oh they can find someone cheaper mark my words.

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »
    Oh they can find someone cheaper mark my words.

"Buy Local...Or Else!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Just so I'm clear on this: Nobody knows anything about whether or not a new Tesco is opening and they definitely don't know where it's not going to be?

catallus wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear on this: Nobody knows anything about whether or not a new Tesco is opening and they definitely don't know where it's not going to be?

No. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That's what this thread is about.

catallus wrote: »
    That's what this thread is about.

It was a first and only post with no documentation. I assumed it was someone floating the idea for one reason or another. And anyway, we haven't had a discussion in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Ennis is dying on its feet but this has nothing to do with out of town shopping centres, for a start Ennis has none and please dont mention Aldi or Lidl like An Taisce did as retail parks whilst objecting to Tesco on the Limerick Road. There is nothing in the way of real choice in the town. A lot of scaremongering went on comparing the proposed new store to Naas and the Cresent, but in fact it was more like Coonagh Cross . Limerick has worked side by side for years with the Crescent. Look at Killarney a town half the size of Ennis has retail parks and an out of town Tesco and the town is buzzing. Maybe the shopkeepers and council need to look at more ways of getting people into town not by forcing them to leave and shop in Limerick or Galway. Ennis is run by the same people who have only their own interests at heart.The Chamber said that there is a lot of sites closer to the town suitable foe a shopping centre well lets see what happens with the national school site. Already some councillors are giving out about extra traffic if a shopping centre is built there.Also why is Ennis one of the only towns not to provide a proper site close to the town centre for funfairs and circuses. The shows especially the fun fairs lose money by being down the Quin road. Why cant they go and use the Fair Green like they did a few years ago. By definition Fair Green is for fairs, especially now as there is plenty of pitches for sports in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Is Tesco going to move out into that new building on the Kilrush Road?

Was driving on the bypass and saw a big new development, in the latter stages, and wondering what it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ulinbac wrote: »
    Is Tesco going to move out into that new building on the Kilrush Road?

Was driving on the bypass and saw a big new development, in the latter stages, and wondering what it is.

No that's the new primary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I haven't been in Tesco Ennis for nearly 10 years, but I used to work there as a part timer when I was in secondary school from 2001 to 2004. Aside from the really small car park, I'm surprised to hear so many people complaining about it. Maybe it has only gone downhill recently. What do people dislike about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I haven't been in Tesco Ennis for nearly 10 years, but I used to work there as a part timer when I was in secondary school from 2001 to 2004. Aside from the really small car park, I'm surprised to hear so many people complaining about it. Maybe it has only gone downhill recently. What do people dislike about it?

Its years since I was in there but if you compare it to Tesco Coonagh or Kilrush its probably tiny and with limited parking and a pain for access.

I doubt it carrys the same range of products at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Its years since I was in there but if you compare it to Tesco Coonagh or Kilrush its probably tiny and with limited parking and a pain for access.

I doubt it carrys the same range of products at all.

Correct, correct and correct. Car park is small, you pay for it (refundable), its an old store that has not been done up in years. It doesnt have anywhere near the samd range as coonagh.

Advertisement