Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The dole

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Calgary22 wrote: »
    i am on the dole. I am a redundant apprentice i begged sw/fas could i go on jobs-bridge to finish my time and get the hell out of this debt ridden country. of course they refused they then taught they were doing me favour by offering me a computer course which (1) has got nothing to do with my trade and (2) i have no interest in. its a ****ing disgrace what they are doing to us redundant apprentices. so i have no shame what so ever of being on the dole.

You wont be offered too many jobs with an attitude like that to be honest. Nobody is going to be handed a dream job anymore particularly without demonstrating some initiative, some flexibility and some ability to accept further training however outside their comfort zone that training may be. Believe it or not you almost certainly have an aptitude for some other sort of work.

If its all 'no, no, no,' and 'this country is shi#', it doesnt come across well, fine in private, but in public you/we need to demonstrate some eagerness to employees.

BTW I dont accept that the state should freely educate or qualify people at its expense just so they can emigrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I cant my trade is illegal to work in unqualified as it is regulated so what is the point in going unqualified when i have spent 3 and half years at something and am short by 6 months i would be mad to leave especially while i am in the situation you described minus the drink and betting and a father.

tbh mate you have took me up quite wrong i don't cry me the fas story i have stated very clearly on here what my story is and many others like me who are redundant apprentices. i am ashamed to be on the dole i don't claim rent allowance or fuel i merely wrote that to be sarcastic in reply to a previous poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod: Well that escalated quickly!

Cut out the personal posts, if you can't be constructive or civil, don't bother posting. That goes for everybody.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Calgary22 wrote: »
    I cant my trade is illegal to work in unqualified as it is regulated so what is the point in going unqualified when i have spent 3 and half years at something and am short by 6 months i would be mad to leave especially while i am in the situation you described minus the drink and betting and the boys and a father.

tbh mate you have took me up quite wrong i don't cry me the fas story i have stated very clearly on here what my story is and many others like me who are redundant apprentices. i am ashamed to be on the dole i don't claim rent allowance or fuel i merely wrote that to be sarcastic in reply to a previous poster.

3 & 1/2 years??
    You paid tax for the 5 years of your apprenticeship earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Melion wrote: »
    Exactly, you can't answer. You're a complete joke.

Bit strong Melion? If you know every intrinsic detail of Calgarys situation then by all means make such comments, However it's clear you don't, I don't, and others on this thread don't so I'd tread easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi,
    You clearly haven't read my statement properly. I am not painting everyone on the dole with the same brush. Did you not see my opening sentences? I am clearly speaking about a certain group of people on the dole. I disagree with the behavior or certain people on the dole (NOT EVERYONE) and yes I am mostly talking about one guy that I know but if u want I could name many people that I know who dont want to work. Working (for some) is seen as a contagious virus and they don't want to work. In fairness on 188 a week I probably wouldn't want to work either if I was younger living with parents getting free money week in week out.

I agree with what you have said. People on the dole are from different backgrounds. People stay on it (probably for years) while it motivates others to try and perfect the CV even if that means a 1000 km per week commute and I respect your decision to do so. But you are clearly getting confused with other comments people have made. Someone educated who has worked previously or trying to look for a job does not bother me

Yes I am younger but my age doesn't mean anything. Lets say someone at 40 is reading this I'd be sure that they are agreeing with my every word.

My point to begin this thread was the fact that I couldn't understand certain people never/not having to work and it drives me crazy. For those who have worked and find themselves in an akward situation doesn't bother me. READ MY OPENING SENTENCES
    I can't understand why someone would turn down a job (like the guy I mentioned)which would guarantee 300 euro a week. Jobs are so precious these days. What use is a blank CV after 4 years on the dole? It's as if the dole traps some people and that's why we have so many unemployed (under 25) and this generation have never been forced to work.

With regard to your final statement I have every right to look down at certain people (not those who have worked in the past). For those who don't want to work dont deserve respect. They are polluted people that are costing our state Billions. How can I take these people seriously? No jobs and no education will get you nowhere in life but there's groups of people that don't understand. Even a walk down to the local post office on a Thursday is seen as a tough task for some. How are the next generation of children going to get motivated if neither parent has ever worked?

OK, I have to say that makes a lot more sense and I agree with you based on this post, however what you said in your opening post was:
    Hi guys,
    I think that is an absolute disgrace that people can stay on the dole for so long. I understand that certain people can't work (disabilities, injuries, young kids etc....) and I understand that people sign on (for a few weeks up until they find a new job) which I find acceptable. But certain lazy people ( in great health) clearly don't want to work.

.. which reads to me that you think/thought? that anyone who is on the dole for more than a "few weeks until they find a new job" clearly "don't want to work"

My point was that the vast majority of people who are on the Dole "long term" are there through no fault of their own and are doing everything they can to get off it again.. not just for financial reasons, but because they WANT to work and be productive/contribute

The problem is though that despite this, there simply aren't enough jobs to go around at the moment, and that has to lie largely at the feet of our government's policy of enforced austerity (for some!) with very little incentive for employers to create employment.

I completely agree with you that the "lifers" who laid about even in the "good times" deserve no sympathy and the barest minimum of support, but like your friend (for want of a better term) these people are still a minority - what annoys me about it is the "one size fits all" attitude to people who are on the Dole that is extremely prevalent not just on this forum from certain elements, but Irish society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

In fairness on 188 a week I probably wouldn't want to work either if I was younger living with parents getting free money week in week out.

At your age you wouldn't be getting the full rate , it's €89 for people under 24. I think the biggest section of people unemployed are currently under 25's and that's a depressing statistic.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    The problem is though that despite this, there simply aren't enough jobs to go around at the moment, and that has to lie largely at the feet of our government's policy of enforced austerity (for some!) with very little incentive for employers to create employment.

This is a problem that seems to get ignored in these types of discussion , for example during the "Celtic Tiger" there was full employment , was it 4% or 5% ?
    but anyway this 4/5 % are either people who can't work or won't work. I can't see the current figure of 15% consisting of people who can't work or won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

zeds alive wrote: »
    At your age you wouldn't be getting the full rate , it's €89 for people under 24. I think the biggest section of people unemployed are currently under 25's and that's a depressing statistic.

Dole is mean tested so if some under 24 is means tested and it works in there favour they will get 100 euro if they signed on a few years ago for any amount of time it will go by the system so they will get the full 188.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You have openly admitted that you expect the Irish Government to finish your education so that you can .....(in bold)

You basically want FAS to give you an education so you can go to another country and apply it there. You'll understand why I don't feel sorry for you.

For me it sounds like you have two choices:
    a) Leave now and accept the $20 an hour instead of $40 you'll get abroad.
    b) Adapt, as many people are doing and be open to learning a skill in a different sector, one that has higher employment. (IT comes to mind, why do you think FAS are pushing this computer course?)

My two cents on the overall issue. Both Social Welfare payments and minimum wage need to be lowered if we want to create jobs and encourage people to get moving. There are plenty of genuine SW cases out there - but we need to address the mass of the problem - I don't think we can perfectly accommodate EVERYONE in the situation we're in.

I would not agree with droping the minimum wage. Last time it was droped service companies again began a race to the bottom with wages. All that happens it allows new cleaning companies etc to under price existing contracts and reduce pay to certain sections of private sector workers.

The issue is that if you are on welfare minimum wage jobs are not attractive because of welfare and benifits.Even if welfare droped it still will not make min wage work a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

The amount snide remarks belittling demoralising comments of some people on this is appalling . Some ignorant judgemental people on this who are very bitter putting others down and yet they dont know the person.What gives you the right??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OK, I have to say that makes a lot more sense and I agree with you based on this post, however what you said in your opening post was:

.. which reads to me that you think/thought? that anyone who is on the dole for more than a "few weeks until they find a new job" clearly "don't want to work"

My point was that the vast majority of people who are on the Dole "long term" are there through no fault of their own and are doing everything they can to get off it again.. not just for financial reasons, but because they WANT to work and be productive/contribute

I completely agree with you that the "lifers" who laid about even in the "good times" deserve no sympathy and the barest minimum of support, but like your friend (for want of a better term) these people are still a minority - what annoys me about it is the "one size fits all" attitude to people who are on the Dole that is extremely prevalent not just on this forum from certain elements, but Irish society in general.

I guess there is not too much more that I can say about the subject. As soon as I speak my mind it seems that I am becoming one of the most hated people on boards.ie. I guess, there is just a section of society that dont want to work or earn their own money while others look for jobs with limited success. I suppose once people never started working they don't see the need to do so. Up north the dole is only 60 pounds aprox 1/3 of what it is here so it's clearly too much.

My main point is that people don't change. I can guarantee you that this time 5 years this guy (in my original example) will still be jobless without even going for an interview. I guess some people just don't care what they do with their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I guess, there is just a section of society that dont want to work or earn their own money while others look for jobs with limited success. I suppose once people never started working they don't see the need to do so.
    No argument there. The "lifers" are a problem for sure, but they're the minority.
    Up north the dole is only 60 pounds aprox 1/3 of what it is here so it's clearly too much.
    That's like comparing apples and oranges, but to be fair you aren't the only one on this forum to do this. NI is a completely different jurisdiction with different costs of living, taxation and so on.
    My main point is that people don't change. I can guarantee you that this time 5 years this guy (in my original example) will still be jobless without even going for an interview. I guess some people just don't care what they do with their lives.

More than that, by not giving these people the appropriate incentive/kick in the ass to get and (re)train and actively look for work, we as a society are implicitly condoning this behavior.

What's needed here is a sliding scale of benefits. Now bearing in mind the reality of the economic and employment situation I'd suggest that anyone on the Dole for > 2 years but who can't show verifiable evidence of applying for jobs, learning new skills etc should have their benefits cut by a certain percentage every quarter until they either get on board with the plan, or are reduced to just enough to survive.

The obvious downside to this idea though is that those "lifers" who are generational would probably resort to black market work or crime to make up the difference (which I'm sure a percentage already do), so that'd need to be addressed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Davy r wrote: »
    I know il go on a thread on boards.ie and belittle and patronise someone I know so little about or the circumstances or situation he/she is in so I can feel great about meself . People like this make me feel sick to my stomach. Sad cases
    Thats really not what I am doing. I can't really afford to say anything. I have a crap job and barely make enough money. I have never had a job that pays over 10 euro an hour. Not really trying to belittle anybody. Just want some answers why people don't want to work????and prefer to stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

con1421

so are you saying everyone on the dole doesn't want to work ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Simply just to lower the cost of employment and create more jobs.

The primary offset is that people will see the dole as the better option, similar money for doing nothing, which is why it must be lowered too. That would probably need to be complimented with other actions though - some decent suggestions on this thread.
    The trouble with this, is that you need increased demand in the economy, to support new jobs (whether they are on lower wage or not), and by cutting wages, that contributes to deflation of wages in general, increasing cost of living as a percentage of wages, and reducing demand.

Cutting wages largely goes into company pockets, whereas to counteract lessened demand, you want to be putting money into employees pockets, not taking it out.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    KysussBishop is going to come on and tell us, it dose not need to be like that, we could have a society where every one has a job.:)
    Indeed :) though unfortunately not likely to happen with Europe's current configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Reading this it seems some people have an interest of painting as bad a picture of the economy as they possibly can thus justifying their approach of not bothering their arse. 'Ah sure, nothing out there, everyone knows that .'
    Others play the blame game -> Fianna Fáil, banks, 'Austerity'
    All I say is nobody owes you anything it's your life you've only got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Captain Plan It

So look harder.Do you not use jobs.ie?

Its not as easy as just "looking harder", especially online. If you go on to jobs.ie now there seems to be a lot of jobs available. But unless you have expertise across several professions, the majority of the jobs are instantly ruled out, then there's geographical constraints - some people for one reason or another cannot move to where suitable jobs are. A lot of the jobs posted are repeated i.e. different recruitment agencies will post the same jobs over and over. Then there's the abundance of "No Experience Required - Direct Marketing" jobs, which are essentially door to door sales, these are commission based so there's little security and are not suitable for everyone. So while at a glance there may seem to be loads of jobs available, it really is much more limited than that.

Just on another note, I saw jobs advertised in my local paper recently, the council were looking for general operatives for the summer/autumn months - cutting grass, trimming hedges, roadworks etc. The pay offered was 450-500 euro a week, depending on experience! Couldn't believe it, that's more than most grads I know are earning

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Davy r wrote: »
    The amount snide remarks belittling demoralising comments of some people on this is appalling . Some ignorant judgemental people on this who are very bitter putting others down and yet they dont know the person.What gives you the right??

I'm paying for their lifestyle. And, in certain cases I could name, I'm paying for them to have a higher standard of living than I can afford for myself and my family.

Take, for example, the woman living 2 doors down from me, living in a house the council are renting for her, claiming SW for herself and her daughter, who got pregnant at 16, and is now claiming her share of the single parent pot. 3 generations in the same house, at least 2 of whom will never contribute to our society.
    A new car every 2 years, 2 holidays last year. 3 large flat screen TVs, sky package (you can see them from the road), the works

Meantime, we drive a 9 year old banger (no second car), have one 19in tv
    with terrestrial/Saorview only. We went on a holiday in 2007. Last year, we managed a weekend in west Clare, and another in Tipperary (Thanks, Supervalue).

I've worked from the age of 16, part time while in school; paid my way through college (no free fees in my time), and have never been out of work, even though not always in my chosen field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Hi guys,
    I think that is an absolute disgrace that people can stay on the dole for so long. I understand that certain people can't work (disabilities, injuries, young kids etc....) and I understand that people sign on (for a few weeks up until they find a new job) which I find acceptable. But certain lazy people ( in great health) clearly don't want to work.

I know one guy in particular that has not worked for 4 years. He got a job at the local shop after school (never went to college) and then left the job after a few months and never went back to work. Anytime I see him he is waiting in the post office for his dole (my tax money). I was in town one day with him and we walked past Argos who were hiring staff. I told him to send an application in and he said that he would never work there. Last Christmas (during our busy spell) I offered him a job in my bar and his response was "if I get a job I won't be able to get my dole". Other people have tried to motivate this guy to at least go to college but he WON'T DO ANYTHING with his life. It upsets me because I have to work 4 or 5 late night every week and I barely make enough money to keep myself going. But people can get FREE MONEY every single week for doing nothing.

Luckily for me I have worked continuously for 8 years now (in Ireland and the US) since I was 16 and I have never been on the dole. Even when I was in college I never got a grant or any state benifit. If I was to go on the dole when I was younger my parents would just not accept the fact that I would be hanging around the house everyday with nothing to do and thy would insist that I'd do something beneficial with my life.

It's as if people just don't want to work and get the skills that become so important in later life. I mean come on what interviewer is going to take someone seriously if they have a limited CV?It's as if this generation of people don't want to work and as a result become lazy and too dependent on state benefits.

Guys I know that there is a recession on but THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE if you look. Even sweeping the streets for a living is hugely beneficial. Would you prefer to say you sweep the streets or say that You are on the dole?

I have a big problem with certain people and I just can't accept the fact that this country has become so backwards. I mean if people don't want to work why not go to college? This country is one of the cheapest in the world for education. In the US alone an average course would cost in the thousands of euro and these students end up paying these fees well into their adult life. In Ireland an average degree would cost you 2000ish euro a year.

I just don't like people wasting their life away when there are skills, jobs available. What influence is that going to be on the kids if they see parents never working?

What do you guys think?

Ad fcuking nauseum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

skafish wrote: »
    I'm paying for their lifestyle. And, in certain cases I could name, I'm paying for them to have a higher standard of living than I can afford for myself and my family.

Take, for example, the woman living 2 doors down from me, living in a house the council are renting for her, claiming SW for herself and her daughter, who got pregnant at 16, and is now claiming her share of the single parent pot. 3 generations in the same house, at least 2 of whom will never contribute to our society.
    A new car every 2 years, 2 holidays last year. 3 large flat screen TVs, sky package (you can see them from the road), the works

with terrestrial/Saorview only. We went on a holiday in 2007. Last year, we managed a weekend in west Clare, and another in Tipperary (Thanks, Supervalue).

I've worked from the age of 16, part time while in school; paid my way through college (no free fees in my time), and have never been out of work, even though not always in my chosen field.

Get a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Sin City wrote: »
    Get a better job

Harsh.

I'm glad to see there are people at least willing to pay their own way, even when the 'benefits' may be more attractive. It clearly shows the character of the person.

The problem is the system - Not everyone can get 50k+ jobs - so would you prefer this person to copy the neighbour down the road and live off the state?

Thats all well and good but what about people like myself on the dole.

€188 a week
    €50 for my daughters school
    €75 for rent
    Half the shopping with my partner (€25/€30 each)
    Petrol
    Try and pay something off bills so they dont get cut off

Am i a scumbag living off people like you?

My sister, who i dont speak to, is living the highlife you mentioned. 3 kids, 3 different fathers, 3 years younger than me and i can guarantee she doesnt have to worry about feeding herself like i do. I wouldnt paint myself with the same brush as her.

tails_naf wrote: »
    Harsh.

I'm glad to see there are people at least willing to pay their own way, even when the 'benefits' may be more attractive. It clearly shows the character of the person.

The problem is the system - Not everyone can get 50k+ jobs - so would you prefer this person to copy the neighbour down the road and live off the state?

Not everyone can get a job in the first place , but they seem to be fair game . That poster should be glad he has a job , I'm sure given the chance there are plenty of people on the dole who would do his job and not bitch about it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The whole modern problem now since the collapse is... Irish citizens are turning against each other in a vile way.

You can go on and on about dole scroungers, but the crystal clarity fact of the matter is that we are all struggling, so instead of attacking a person on the dole, people should start attacking the structure of the corrupt banking system and government and give the rest of us trying to get by, a break.

It's like the Joneses, except a lot worse.

€188 a week
    €75 for rent
    Petrol

My sister, who i dont speak to, is living the highlife you mentioned. 3 kids, 3 different fathers, 3 years younger than me and i can guarantee she doesnt have to worry about feeding herself like i do. I wouldnt paint myself with the same brush as her.

Absolutely not - of course your situation is different from your sisters.
    Your situation is the REASON dole should exist (assuming you are looking to get off the dole), your sisters is the REASON the system should be overhauled.

The whole idea of dole is that it should be temporary, but this country has not seemed to grasp that idea (though it does seem to be making baby steps in the right direction).

Multiple previous governments created a situation so open to abuse, that we have generations of families living on it, with no intention of working. This is not good for them, and it is not good for us.

• Advertisement

Not everyone can get a job in the first place , but they seem to be fair game . That poster doyle be glad he has a job , I'm sure given the chance there are plenty of people on the dole who would do his job and not bitch about it,

I'm not complaining about my job....... I'm dam glad to have one, and I'm happy to able to support my family.

Its not the job I'm bitching about, its the fact that my taxes are used to fund life styles I can't afford for people who have never contributed anything to society.

There is work available.... read the post above about the local council looking for temporary staff.

I'm not trying to sound high and mighty, just venting a bit at the scroungers, and yes, I realise that not everybody on SW falls into the same category,

€188 a week
    €75 for rent
    Petrol

Apologies, my comments, though broad were not intended for the majority of people on SW who are trying to find work.

Why €50 PW for your daughters school?
    Why no rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

There is work available.... read the post above about the local council looking for temporary staff.
    No; there is not enough work available. A year and a half ago, there were 26 people for every job vacancy, i.e. only enough jobs for 1 out of 26 of the unemployed:
    6a00d8342f650553ef016300281718970d-500wi

Apologies, my comments, though broad were not intended for the majority of people on SW who are trying to find work.

Why €50 PW for your daughters school?
    Why no rent allowance?

I pay the €50 a week for her playschool instead of maintenance straight to her mother.

The place I'm living in doesn't qualify for RA. There are no houses/apartnents/cardboard boxes anywhere in my town or vicinity that qualify for the ridiculous rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

€188 a week
    €75 for rent
    Petrol
    You live a comfortable life while contributing nothing to the economy. That's something not even many employed people can say.

• Advertisement

I'm not complaining about my job....... I'm dam glad to have one, and I'm happy to able to support my family.

Its not the job I'm bitching about, its the fact that my taxes are used to fund life styles I can't afford for people who have never contributed anything to society.

I'm not trying to sound high and mighty, just venting a bit at the scroungers, and yes, I realise that not everybody on SW falls into the same category,

Bear in mind that those who have no intention of getting a job are in the minority of those on the dole. The majority would jump at the chance of having a job thus paying their way and contributing to society and thereby looking after their mental health. What they dont need is those who are in employment looking down their noses at them and saying they should be cut off or have their income reduced if they cant find work after say six months in an economy where there are roughly about 26 people applying for one job.

Most people are suffering in this economy, I have no idea how anyone can live a comfortable life on 188 a week. When you look at your own bills and are finding it hard to pay imagine what some one on the dole can pay it

If you think that there are some people playing the system and getting more than they should , then report those who are breaking the law and leave those who are really in need and just about surviving alone

You live a comfortable life while contributing nothing to the economy. That's something not even many employed people can say.

Feel free to give him your job and you can take up the dole to live a "Comfortable life"

As I have stated already in this thread. I worked for 11 years straight after school,I held 3 jobs at one stage, paying taxes every week. If you think I have a comfortable life, I invite you to try it for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You think €63 a week after housing and child costs is comfortable?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Bear in mind that those who have no intention of getting a job are in the minority of those on the dole. The majority would jump at the chance of having a job thus paying their way and contributing to society and thereby looking after their mental health. What they dont need is those who are in employment looking down their noses at them and saying they should be cut off or have their income reduced if they cant find work after say six months in an economy where there are roughly about 26 people applying for one job.

Most people are suffering in this economy, I have no idea how anyone can live a comfortable life on 188 a week. When you look at your own bills and are finding it hard to pay imagine what some one on the dole can pay it

If you think that there are some people playing the system and getting more than they should , then report those who are breaking the law and leave those who are really in need and just about surviving alone

yeah, you are right it is a minority who have no intention of working, but about 40,000 fall into that category, which us something that cannot be ignored, minority or not!

yeah, you are right it is a minority who have no intention of working, but about 40,000 fall into that category, which us something that cannot be ignored, minority or not!

Where did you get that statistic?

Where did you pull that number from?

The majority would jump at the chance of having a job.
    Definitely not any job, and that's one of the big problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

a job should at very least allow people to live, pay there bills or rent, mortgage
    buy food, clothes,

As long as the job was a full time paying job which would be better than the dole then yes, people would jump at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

I would like to point out that if you are working you can also get benefits. For example you can get lone parents and Fis if you are a single parent and you can get fis if your married or shacked up and your income is under a certain limit. You also get a medical card. Usually given for three years at a time and if you don't qualify for a medical card you get a gp services card usually once your income is under a certain limit. You don't need any contributions to get those payments and usually these people are not really contributing much to society at all financially as they are getting most of it back in benefits. I know the payments have been dropped a little in recent years but you can still get both those payments.

Also I worked for many years and did not go badgering students drinking their grant money in pubs for my tax money back. These self same students who emigrated after graduating and never had any intention of working in Ireland.
    Also I workedin a call centre that was littered with graduates all on low incomes getting lone parents and fis and not paying much back in the way of tax .

These payments are usually hassle free. No having to give bank statements to the sw every six months like you do if you are on lone parents and not working. Medicals cards given for 3 years at a time but if your on carers you have to begging to get it renewed every year for your seriously ill child. Oh and most of these people had private health insurance with their jobs but used the medical card anyway. Most of these people are working but are getting quite a lot in state benefits anyway. I had to leave my job due to my sons health but I was getting more per week from social welfare when I was working than I do now on carers.

So if you want to spit your bile at people you better include all those people on low incomes and part timers who technically are working but taking a nice chunk from the state too. Go tell them how to live their lives too.

More bull
    You already admitted you refused at least 2 offers.
    As long as the job was a full time paying job which would be better than the dole then yes, people would jump at it
    If the dole can be higher than min wage, then the dole obviously needs to be cut.

If the dole can be higher than min wage, then the dole obviously needs to be cut.

Or minimum wage should be raised

Or minimum wage should be raised
    It actually should be cut along with welfare.

Only if the cost of living is reduced accordingly

Also cutting the minimum wage will only mask the problem

People might have jobs but they will be still be caught in the poverty trap
    Things wont have changed , sure the figures will look better but thats it

As for welfare cuts, how are people to survive
    Most cant survive as it is, how do you expect them to survive with the cuts

All well and good you saying to get a job, but if they cant. If they want to work but actually cant seem to get one, possibly due to the numbers who are applying to the same job, how are they to survive on reduced income? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

But that might effect the poorest people in the country,you wouldn't want that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I don't see why the lazy on the people would want to get off it. They can get the dole and during the week they can provide services in the black market so they don't have to pay income tax. It's a win win situation for them.

Doublelime wrote: »
    I don't see why the lazy on the people would want to get off it. They can get the dole and during the week they can provide services in the black market so they don't have to pay income tax. It's a win win situation for them.

Yeah, cuz everyone on the dole is involved in the black market. They all work together and hatch plans on what to flog while down the old post office yeah?

Come back to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Was that 2 job offers from abroad?? get off your high horse, you cant expect anyone to have to do that!!

There are some very reasonable comments been made in here about a section of society who just sponge and have no real interest in finding a job.

But some of the comments iv'e seen being made in my opinion are shameful, and expecting someone to have to leave the country and his family to find work is totally unrealistic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But some of the comments iv'e seen being made in my opinion are shameful, and expecting someone to have to leave the country and his family to find work is totally unrealistic!!

I've family who've had to do exactly that. Their skills over so many years were so tightly focused in construction and related industries that there is no work for them here. None, they were willing to work anywhere in the country. The ones who moved were too old to realistically retrain (10 years or so to retirement) so they had to move to Dubai and similar to find work. A wife and several children were left behind in one case (the kids being secondary/college age).

It's not unrealistic, it's the actual reality for some people. Which is horrible.

Advertisement