Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 port valve with trv head

• 14-04-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Is there such thing as a 3/4" two port valve onto which I can fit a standard TRV head?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a 3/4" two port valve onto which I can fit a standard TRV head?

Not sure what you are trying to achieve but an Injection Control Valve (ICV) might be of use. They are used on UFH systems to control the temperature going to the manifold. The head is similar to a TRV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I want to put a 2-port valve on my cylinder CH coil.

I plan on putting electronic TRVs on all the rads but the company that supplies the TRVs do not do any kind of cylinder control.

I was just wondering if I could put a 2-port valve on the cylinder coil and put the TRV head on it.

Why not a cylinder stat with a standard 2 port valve.
    Remember is all has to have boiler interlock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Yeah I want to tie it all together so the boiler will only run if at least one of the valves are open. You can do that with a special radio signal relay the company provide but to incorporate my cylinder into the equation I'll have to use one of their TRVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

http://diyheatingtips.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/cheaper-hot-water/

Try a myson tcv like this. Ive never checked to see if a trv head fits on it. Looks quite similar tho. Once there's full interlock... it will be a efficient system.

• Advertisement

How is a company selling you a system that they do not have a specific product that deals with domestic hot water?
    Check out the Honeywell EvoHome System. I have installed a few of them & they work a treat. It encorates a motorized valve with a wireless cylinder stat to communicate with the central touch pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MichaelLis

I'm trying to figure out the best wireless control set up for 2 zone CH and separate DHW. I currently have 2 analogue thermostats controlling motorised valves and an old Siemens programmer connected to the boiler. I can't reuse any existing wiring so considering going completely wireless.

I have been researching Honywell evohome and it looks like I need the following:

evohome controller (works as a thermostat in the living room)
    3 x wireless links to control motorised valves in the hotpress (2 x CH zones + 1 DHW)
    wireless cylinder thermostat
    wireless digital thermostat (master bedroom)
    wireless link to control the boiler

To me, it sounds like an overkill but I can't figure out how to do it differently (or may be this is the right way?). Can anyone offer an advice?

Just remember that there is still considerable amounts of hard wiring with "wireless" controls. The motorised valves have to be hard wired with mains from the heating system isolation spur, hard wiring is required also from the wireless receivers to the boiler & pump.
    The Evo Home can be used with their wireless TRV but it gets very expensive then. It then only requires 1 motorised valve for hot water.

Check out EPH Controls wireless controls also. They are much cheaper & have a 5 year warranty. Also Irish!

www.ephcontrols.com

Unfortunately EPH don't support wireless boiler link or wireless motorised valves. Back to drawing board then ...

Unfortunately you will not find any system to power motorised valves wirelessly as the motors will always require 230v.
    This is why I said there will always be some hard wiring with wireless systems.

• Advertisement

Are you familiar with Heatmiser products?

They have a wireless wiring center UH1-W that can control 8 zones and domestic hot water. I can install a programmable wireless thermostats in each room and one of them can control hot water. All fits nicely bar the hard wired link to the boiler which I can sort out with wireless remote switch.

MichaelLis wrote: »
    Are you familiar with Heatmiser products?

They have a wireless wiring center UH1-W that can control 8 zones and domestic hot water. I can install a programmable wireless thermostats in each room and one of them can control hot water. All fits nicely bar the hard wired link to the boiler which I can sort out with wireless remote switch.
    Yes very familiar with Heatmiser. The UH1 is wireless communication with wireless room stat. One room stat will have dual function, Heston for that zone plus hw but it is only switching hw. You will still need a motorised valve on each zone to control the flow of water to that zone. This will require a motorised valve & mains hard wired 230v cable.

I have 3 motorised valves in place already - 2 x CH and 1 x DHW. All is currently hard wired via analogue thermostats to 240v. So all good on that side.

I'm looking at the wiring diagram and it seems that they suggesting wiring valves into the boiler enable circuit. Also their FAQ says that the Hot Water Output doesn't enable the boiler and it has to be enabled via the valve. Will that cause boiler to cycle too often or UH1 takes care of it?

MichaelLis wrote: »
    I have 3 motorised valves in place already - 2 x CH and 1 x DHW. All is currently hard wired via analogue thermostats to 240v. So all good on that side.

I'm looking at the wiring diagram and it seems that they suggesting wiring valves into the boiler enable circuit. Also their FAQ says that the Hot Water Output doesn't enable the boiler and it has to be enabled via the valve. Will that cause boiler to cycle too often or UH1 takes care of it?

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. The dhw should have a cylinder stat wire to the motor of the motorised valve. This in turn makes the NC of the grey wire to the orange which fires the boiler.
    So what's the issue? If your room stats are basic live in live out and you do not have a neutral to them, for accuracy you could change them to digital with a battery. Cylinder stat does not require a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maguidd

Hi Shane,

New to boards, been following threads about wifi systems and think my house is suitable for upgrade with this type of system as there is just a switchable pump to the rad circuit and a thermostat on the hw boiler and trvs on some rads. No zones, thermostats, very basic, nothing fancy. I am interested in upgrading for the long term.

Would you be interested in a trip to Meath to give me a quotation on an installation of a suitable system?

Maguidd wrote: »
    Hi Shane,

New to boards, been following threads about wifi systems and think my house is suitable for upgrade with this type of system as there is just a switchable pump to the rad circuit and a thermostat on the hw boiler and trvs on some rads. No zones, thermostats, very basic, nothing fancy. I am interested in upgrading for the long term.

Would you be interested in a trip to Meath to give me a quotation on an installation of a suitable system?

Have you a camp bed & a bottle of wine?

Why do you want wireless, and what are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maguidd

shane0007 wrote: »
    Have you a camp bed & a bottle of wine?

Why do you want wireless, and what are you trying to achieve?
    just don't want to rip everything up with new plumbing/zoning and hard wiring, if I don't have to, and we like the idea of individual room and some zone controls from a central point.

Had conventional 3 zone system in previous house, 2 zone on stats and HW which was good- would like to go one better this time for a mixture of comfort and hopefully energy efficiency-though I have an inkling herself will want much higher room temperatures than me- still Happy Wife- Happy Life.

Wine has trickled out to us in Meath...

Advertisement