Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guinea-pig sick.

• 14-04-2013 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

hi i noticed my guinea pig lost hair on his back,as i had just moved him and his brother to the shed and switch his bedding from chippings to straw i assumed it was ticks,so i gave him a bath and treated him with tick spray but as i was doing this i noticed he had a lump on his back.

so i moved him and his brother back inside the house but now he wont come out for his food although he will eat if i hand it to him, i have seen him fall over twice now and he has an empty expression on his face compared to his brother who is 100% any way im very worried as i have him five years and never seen him like this.

he is booked in to the vet for 9am in the morning.has anyone ever had a guinea-pig with these symptoms and if so...what was wrong? did they survive? and how much did the vet cost you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Hairloss could be a case of mites. Severe cases do result in patches of hair loss. Is he itching much? Not sure about the lump. You did the best thing getting him booked into the vets.
    If he stops pooping and eating then it becomes an emergency as they can go into gut stasis and can deteriorate quickly so keep an eye on that.

Also just as a side note, straw isnt really suitable for piggies. It's too sharp and can easily poke them in the eye because they are so low to the ground. Hay should be used as bedding instead, it's an essential food for them and should make up the majority of their diet.
    I would also lose the chippings as depending on the wood they can be very bad for a piggies respiratory system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Hairloss could be a case of mites. Severe cases do result in patches of hair loss. Is he itching much? Not sure about the lump. You did the best thing getting him booked into the vets.
    If he stops pooping and eating then it becomes an emergency as they can go into gut stasis and can deteriorate quickly so keep an eye on that.

Also just as a side note, straw isnt really suitable for piggies. It's too sharp and can easily poke them in the eye because they are so low to the ground. Hay should be used as bedding instead, it's an essential food for them and should make up the majority of their diet.
    I would also lose the chippings as depending on the wood they can be very bad for a piggies respiratory system.

its a dark purple pea-sized lump,im terrified now i just got off the phone with another vets and she believes it could be cancer,i will be devastated i had these guys through thick and thin.

i will have to wait and see tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I know its still early but let us know how you got on at the vets.
    I've got my fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could it of been from a bite and it's turns into like an abcess or blood blister? Tumours can be common but it might be treatable. Let us know how you get on.

hi im in shock they did not know what the lump was but gave me (xeno 450)

heres my receipt PAIDI:CONSULT (EXOTIC PET) E26.43 + VAT E3.57 = E30

SKIN SCRAP IN-HOUSE-(NEGATIVE) E17.62 + VAT E2.38 = E20

6x XENO 450 SPOT ON (1) E31.71 VAT E7.39 = E39

TOTAL E89.00

paidi and his brother only cost 10e for the two of them dont get me wrong they are priceless to me now but this bill is a joke they dont even know whats wrong with him yet they charged me this. i think they seen me and paidi coming,the good news is since i woke up and checked him this morning he appears to have got a 2nd wind he is still poorly but hes moving a lot more etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

hi im in shock they did not know what the lump was but gave me (xeno 450)

heres my receipt PAIDI:CONSULT (EXOTIC PET) E26.43 + VAT E3.57 = E30

SKIN SCRAP IN-HOUSE-(NEGATIVE) E17.62 + VAT E2.38 = E20

6x XENO 450 SPOT ON (1) E31.71 VAT E7.39 = E39

TOTAL E89.00

paidi and his brother only cost 10e for the two of them dont get me wrong they are priceless to me now but this bill is a joke they dont even know whats wrong with him yet they charged me this. i think they seen me and paidi coming,the good news is since i woke up and checked him this morning he appears to have got a 2nd wind he is still poorly but hes moving a lot more etc...

The €30 consultation is a little high but not totally out if bounds.

It's the xeno that gets me. The active ingredient is ivermectin, and my vet gives me a few mls of a different brand (same ingredient) into a plastic bottle rather than the pipettes and it's MUCH cheaper (as in about €15 to dose my 14 piggies twice and still have a good bit to spare), so if you go back I would query that.

I hope your little man is okay. The lump might be a bite or scratch or straw poke, not necessarily something sinister. But even if it's a tumour there's always the possibility of surgery.

The main thing is to make sure he keeps eating, drinking and pooping. Once he's doing those he has a really good chance.

Vojera wrote: »
    The €30 consultation is a little high but not totally out if bounds.

It's the xeno that gets me. The active ingredient is ivermectin, and my vet gives me a few mls of a different brand (same ingredient) into a plastic bottle rather than the pipettes and it's MUCH cheaper (as in about €15 to dose my 14 piggies twice and still have a good bit to spare), so if you go back I would query that.

I hope your little man is okay. The lump might be a bite or scratch or straw poke, not necessarily something sinister. But even if it's a tumour there's always the possibility of surgery.

The main thing is to make sure he keeps eating, drinking and pooping. Once he's doing those he has a really good chance.

whats the different brand name?? i have to go back in 4 weeks they are going to measure his lump again and sell me more xeno,the xeno is a joke i used it on both piggies and as they are monsters that both weigh just over 1.2kg. i had to use two dosses each at a cost of around 24e!!! i have two left to be applied in two weeks.

hopefully hes ok hes in a open kids tent in the spare room with guinea friendly chippings with fresh italian hay, carrots and some gurtys guinea food hes eating well thank god!

they warned me to keep him away from his brother due to the possible risk of barbarism. but i will keep a close eye on them instead they have always been together for the last 5 years i dont want to keep them apart and they have never attacked each other yet either.....

The brand is Ivomec. It comes in a big bottle and it's marked as "for injection", but my vet puts about 5ml in a bottle for me and gives me some 1ml syringes. Then I measure out 0.1ml in the syringe and drop it onto the back of the neck, and then repeat a week later. There's a chance they don't have the big bottle in stock, but I would have thought it was a fairly standard thing to have in.

I wouldn't separate pigs just for barbering, to be honest. It's my personal opinion that separating a pig from his friend is stressful for the pigs and only to be done when strictly necessary. I've found that my pigs get very upset when I've had to separate them (e.g. when one had infectious conjunctivitis), so if you don't mind Paidi's fur getting chewed (and you don't know for sure that's happening), I would leave them together.

However, I think you should watch them very closely to see if there's any nipping or biting going on. If that's the cause of the lump then you will have to separate them. You can't leave them together if they're fighting. But watch them for a few days and see how they are, don't just separate them without reason.

The brand is Ivomec. It comes in a big bottle and it's marked as "for injection", but my vet puts about 5ml in a bottle for me and gives me some 1ml syringes. Then I measure out 0.1ml in the syringe and drop it onto the back of the neck, and then repeat a week later. There's a chance they don't have the big bottle in stock, but I would have thought it was a fairly standard thing to have in.

I wouldn't separate pigs just for barbering, to be honest. It's my personal opinion that separating a pig from his friend is stressful for the pigs and only to be done when strictly necessary. I've found that my pigs get very upset when I've had to separate them (e.g. when one had infectious conjunctivitis), so if you don't mind Paidi's fur getting chewed (and you don't know for sure that's happening), I would leave them together.

However, I think you should watch them very closely to see if there's any nipping or biting going on. If that's the cause of the lump then you will have to separate them. You can't leave them together if they're fighting. But watch them for a few days and see how they are, don't just separate them without reason.

thanks,yeah im on guard duty tonight lol but i dont think they are biting. and like you i would of thought with paidi so sick and depressed that separating them could really send paidi on a downward spiral thanks for the advice and for the product tip to!!! i will give daily updates on the lads.

i am just happy that its unlikely to be cancer and that at least he is eating etc. because if he was to die id imaging that would be the end of his ginger fat brother seamus to,you know what guineas are like they look for any excuse to die. lol

hes falling all over the place this morning i had to ring the vet and tell them that i actually have no money left and that i will pay them next week. i have to go in to them at 11.30

this is it,iv have never seen a dog act like this and live let alone a guinea pig

• Advertisement

Poor little man. Let us know how you get on. Fingers crossed for him!

he got an antibiotic shot,but they found a new lump on his belly under the skin,they waved the consultation fee and only charged me 10e for the shot. but if he does not show signs of improvement he has to go for a scan tomorrow,im trying to do everything not to get him put down.

he looked like he had mad cow disease this morning so thats what it could come to but it will be a last resort.
    poor paidi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

hes falling all over the place this morning i had to ring the vet and tell them that i actually have no money left and that i will pay them next week. i have to go in to them at 11.30

this is it,iv have never seen a dog act like this and live let alone a guinea pig

This sounds like ataxia. I had a mouse that was given the wrong dosage of anti-mite meds and started flopping and jerking around, with no control over her limbs. She pulled out of it but it was quite difficult.

I would get a second opinion, if it was my piggy :/

Silverfish wrote: »
    This sounds like ataxia. I had a mouse that was given the wrong dosage of anti-mite meds and started flopping and jerking around, with no control over her limbs. She pulled out of it but it was quite difficult.

I would get a second opinion, if it was my piggy :/

thanks i will look in to this, but he had these symptoms on a lesser scale before he was treated. im going to have to pay for his scan tomorrow to once and for all get an answer on the cancer issue.

if its bad im going to have to find neutered 4/5 year old female for his brother seamus because he is healthy now but with out paidi id imaging he would die withing a month!!

Any updates on Paidi?

hes hobbling but eating still,he showed no improvement except when i came in with grass he jumped around fairly fast. so im clinging on to that as something.

i will bring him in for his scan at 3pm today,i got a good private message off a poster, so im going all in. if they scan him and find something that they say cant be fixed im going to take him to an exotic vets in wicklow or dublin. i should of bought pet insurance.

That's good that he's still showing interest in his food.

I know the feeling with pet insurance - one of my pigs had to get his eye removed a few months ago! - but there is no pet insurance for guinea pigs in Ireland so don't be too upset that you've missed out on it.

I'll pm you my vet's details too. He's not an exotic, but he's really good with piggies :-)

That's good that he's still showing interest in his food.

I know the feeling with pet insurance - one of my pigs had to get his eye removed a few months ago! - but there is no pet insurance for guinea pigs in Ireland so don't be too upset that you've missed out on it.

I'll pm you my vet's details too. He's not an exotic, but he's really good with piggies :-)

thanks vojera.

my vets have amazing facilities its like a human hospital,but as i said to another poster when i put paidi down with his chin on the table and half dead face wobbling around with one leg shorter than the other,they looked at me and said should he not be like this???!!!

i am going to use them for the scan though as i want to know whats up with him today.

vojera you said you have/had a lot of guineas have you ever heard of a guinea sounding this bad but still eating???
    have any of yours ever ate and still died?? he has half size poo and is still peeing too.

vojera you said you have/had a lot of guineas have you ever heard of a guinea sounding this bad but still eating???
    have any of yours ever ate and still died?? he has half size poo and is still peeing too.

Normally when my pigs are sick they go off their food. I've never had one be really bad and still have a good appetite. It's no guarantee, but it's a good sign!

The worst one I ever had stopped eating completely so I had to syringe food into her mouth for weeks, and at the beginning she went almost a full week without pooping a single time! But she came around. They can be pretty resilient, it just depends on what the underlying problem is.

• Advertisement

Normally when my pigs are sick they go off their food. I've never had one be really bad and still have a good appetite. It's no guarantee, but it's a good sign!

The worst one I ever had stopped eating completely so I had to syringe food into her mouth for weeks, and at the beginning she went almost a full week without pooping a single time! But she came around. They can be pretty resilient, it just depends on what the underlying problem is.

i though he could have an ear infection hes showing all the signs but hes not head tilting!

i was reading online and apparently guineas behave as if they are about to die when suffering from this. i got the vet to check but she said she couldnt see inside his ear properly and that she didint believe this was the case.

ah i dont know hes lost hair and has two lumps so its hard to ignore that and blame it on his ears,i will update after his scan,thanks for the pm.

i checked him again i would say hes 95% as bad as yesterday but he turned around really fast for grass and is lifting his head up a bit more,today i have enough money for the injection and oral solution or the scan and im leaning towards the injection,hes shown a minute improvement
    and surely he wouldnt eat if he had cancer etc.

this is a very annoying choice last friday i bought them a new outside run and the tick treatment i have e6.50 left after i pay the vet today.
    if i had not of bought the guinea-run it would have been affordable.

if its an infection he would be more likely to eat than if it was cancer...and i dont think its a bladder stone as hes peeing fine,so im going to get the shot and see if they have a guinea-pig painkiller too just in case he is in pain.

Ask your vet about a payment plan. You might be able to pay it off weekly.

Ask your vet about a payment plan. You might be able to pay it off weekly.

on the vets wall there is a sign saying 'payment on consultation or after you collected your animal' but i will give it a go. i will post back after 3pm

im very optimistic,i had a different vet and i explained that paidi seemed a bit better and that reading online his symptoms resembled an ear infection to which she replied 'but hes not suffering from head tilt' at the very second for the first time he started to tilt his head really obviously!!,so she checked his ears just as the other vet did yesterday only this time she found a build up and gave him ear drops,shots and take home antibiotics,if this morning he seemed 5% better now just when i put him down he looks 30% better!

they can still die from this, but at least we know whats wrong and he seems more lively,im delighted!!!

C'mon...paidi!!!!!!!

Yay, I'm delighted he's perking up. Fingers crossed he continues to improve. You can do it, Paidi!

the ear drops seemed to work instantly,paidi diagnosed himself,what a time for the lil fecker to start the head tilt haha.

will post back tomorrow with hopefully another positive update. hes back in friday for another check up so wel know for sure then.

hes looking ok this morning,i just gave his antibiotics,but last night he seemed a bit rough,im after robbing the dark long wire grass from my neighbors garden{they must think im mad} but thats paidis fav,i googled ear infection and found out,its totally different than i thought its very bad for guineas and kill them most of the time or destroys their movement for ever im just hoping because he only started to head tilt that he will be ok!

It's great that he's still eating. Yay! Have you to go back to the vet at any point or just see how he goes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why did the vet give a medicine containing Ivomectin just curious because I know that Ivomectin on it's own is normally give ONE drop only onto the ear of the pig to get rid of parasites and it's really cheap so the vet really should of given you some to drop on the ear only once and then another drop a week later if it was to treat parasites and it should of cost no more than a fiver.

Ear infections can be common but the vet should of checked the ears in the first place (after all they do that with dogs and cats no matter what it wrong with them).

I wouldn't be happy at all at the amount of meds given to the pig, I'd put the pig straight on a pro biotic while on antibiotics, like those little capsules of acedopholis you burst one capsule and squeeze the contents into the pigs mouth a half hour or so before giving the meds.

So frustrating when vets don't to a proper initial health assessment time is so important when it comes to smallies and guinea pigs are so vunerable.

Don't worry yourself sick when googling stuff though, go on to Peter Gurneys pages before looking at anything else. Sometimes the more natural the solution the better. If you need to clean the ears use warmed olive oil and cotton balls..just place a little ramekin of olive oil into a saucer of warm water to warm it through make sure it's not hot. You can drip and rub some of the oil down into the ears as well.

Although if already given medicated stuff for the ears obviously follow the vets advice, if not then use the olive oil.

Hope he feels better soon.

Advertisement