Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner Question

• 14-04-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

hey im new to the radio scene and i bought myself the ubc92xlt to listen to the aircraft frequencies, i was wondering if i used an external antenna with this radio would it work or would the antenna be too big for the size of this radio?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Roof top discone is best. Then coax.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Discone as suggested is a good option, outside is best or in the attic if you are restricted. There's other options like this if you don't like the look of the discone. You'll be amazed at the results of a proper external antenna compared with the built-in antenna.

If you are listening to a specific set of frequencies i.e. airband, you could always make an antenna yourself, and it'll obviously be cheaper than buying a manufactured one.
    http://www.hamuniverse.com/scannerantenna.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bandit7388

outside antenna is the way to go alright,shop around for best deals ebay is always good but sometimes postage can cost more than the item so look around first, www.longcom.ie based in donegal are great for stuff like that and aftersales service is 2nd to none, ray long knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I can only add - I have a similar, smaller uniden scanner and adding an external antenna does magic! I've built one myself and it's a difference between not hearing anything at all and hearing everything like you're standing next to ATC tower

before you buy anything, make sure the antenna comes with the right connector - if it does not, remember to order an adaptor as well

Advertisement