Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Hiking/ Trekking/ Mountaineering must haves.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    the OP stated a day hike or a one to two hour stroll.
    i can assure you that some water and a mars bar will be plenty enough for that.
    so you can all put your expensive kit away and relax.

however if one is mountaineering or climbing or as stated even doing some extensive walks over the reeks then some extra equipment may be needed , a compass and a map maybe if trekking unfamiliar territory , i am quite alarmed that some posters are off playing bear gryliss and lighting fires all over the place with tampons and the like, odd behavior in my humble opinion.

use a bit of common sense with weather conditions , wear appropriate clothes and even in Ireland wear some suncream!
    wear decent footwear and watch your step , youll come back alive

but there is no harm in playing soldier boys or girls if its your thing

I'm getting the kind of answers I wanted, and some of the stuff listed I'll add to my pack. What I meant by a strenuous hike was anything from 5 -6 hours up, across any type of terrain or altitude and in any condition. I could have put it more specific and will change the title to suit. :)

Binoculars and a camera too? Phone could double as a camera and cut down on weight. Just thought of a spare boot lace would be handy if any on your boots split.

Binoculars and a camera too? Phone could double as a camera and cut down on weight. Just thought of a spare boot lace would be handy if any on your boots split.

First few hikes I brought a camera. Now I don't bother. Every now and again you get the spectacular alright and wish you had one, but I can't be done with the stopping, taking it out etc. Binoculars are neat enough but as with a camera not a necessity. Have never brought spare boot laces myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's what I wear the paracord bracelet for. It can be unravelled and used for many things - tying a splint, replacement laces, securing an emergency shelter, etc. It's no weight or room in the bag either. Cost less than €1 and 10 mins to make too. It definitely falls in the category of a nice-to-have but if it's ever needed it'll be worth its weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

First few hikes I brought a camera. Now I don't bother.

I carry my camera all the time now, keep it in the top pocket of my pack and can access it without taking the pack off. It's a bride camera, far better than the phone for photos. Didnt bother for years with taking one but have fallen back into the habit recently, it's usually worth bringing along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Was on a nine hour hike in the galtees two weeks ago and saw one other person the whole day ... Plenty of places in ireland like this and it's only when the weather changes and visibility is down to 5 feet that you realise that you need or could need the items mentioned earlier but for an hour or two walk then you don't need a whole lot.. Just the basics.

A day hike to me is anything over 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

My own day-walking packing list. All go into my Deuter 28l daysack (although a few of the items attach to my trouser belt).

Necessities:
    Camera (nex-6 which fits into a bag I can attach to my trouser belt for easy and quick access).
    Compass, Map, GPS.
    Croakies (they look a bit silly, but necessary if you wear specs) and specs repair kit.
    First aid kit (+dextrose sweets).
    Food.
    Gaiters.
    Hat (tilley for summer, Russian flap thingy for winter).
    Large Rubbish bags (emergency waterproofing and/or rubbish removal).
    Monocular (attach to trouser belt)
    Odds and ends: Spare boot laces / Ziplock bags / Whistle / Duct repair tape
    Pen, pencil and paper.
    Phone.
    Small hand towel/face cloth.
    Suncream and Insect repellent (April-October).
    Swiss army knife.
    Tissues and wet wipes (a 100 and 1 uses).
    Torch.
    Trekking pole.
    Water (1.5 litres minimum - I use a Camelbak pouch).
    Waterproof leggings and jacket.
    Windproof fleece and gloves.

Optional extras:
    Change of clothes (which I leave behind in the car for my return).
    Mallogen cup.
    Plastic folding mat (for sitting on)
    Reading materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

My list (full list at its maximum - adjusted for length and type of hike)

Map
    Map Cover (Cheap tesco one)
    Compass (Silva Expedition 4)
    Gaiters (Berghaus Snowline)
    Mora Hunter 711 knife (very cheap versatile knife - extremely sharp)
    Extra pair of hiking socks
    Whistle
    Torch and spare batteries (in a zip lock bag)
    Energy bars
    First Aid Kit (see below)
    Emergency Blanket
    Trekking Pole
    Water Purification tablets (just a few in a zip lock bag)
    Food (usually sandwiches)
    Flask (usually with soup)
    Parachute Cord (can work as spare laces amongst a load of other things - very light)
    Firesteel & Firestraws (probably never use it but just feel safer to have it - doesn't weigh very much)
    Anti-bacterial Gel
    Tissues
    Camelbak Water Bottle with an extra plastic bottle for longer hikes
    Sunscreen
    Lip balm
    Sun hat
    Water proof Pants

First Aid Kit (zip lock bags - one big filled with a number of small ones to keep some stuff separate):
    <Mountain warehouse first aid kit>
    zinc oxide plaster roll
    adhesive plasters small
    adhesive plasters medium
    knuckle plaster
    gauze pads medium
    adhesive plaster large
    pbt bandage
    eye pad
    scissors
    alcohol prep pads
    triangular bandage
    </Mountain warehouse first aid kit>
    blister patches
    Antiseptic cream (savlon)
    medi gloves
    paracetamol (pain/fever with blood injury)
    ibuprofen (fever/pain/swelling - no blood)
    aspirin (pain/fever/inflammation/heart attack)
    Benadryl Skin Allergy Relief Cream
    hydrocortisone
    Next of kin/contact details
    deep heat
    Tick tweezers/card
    safety pins (large/small)
    hotel sewing kit
    superglue
    iodine tablets
    electrolytes
    Elastic bands

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

UDP wrote: »
    My list (full list at its maximum - adjusted for length and type of hike)

iodine tablets

Can I ask where you are getting the iodine tablets?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Can I ask where you are getting the iodine tablets?
    Oops, shouldn't read iodine - they are chlorine dioxide tablets.

• Advertisement

Seen from the Angling forum Aldi have some offers on tomorrow with plasters and some outdoor gear. Waterproof pants at €9.99, anyone buy these before and know if there worthwhile? http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week16Thursday13.htm?WT.z_src=main

Lidl have some cycling performance style under tops and men's undies too. http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-AD11B863-91A7A066/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=30336

Seen from the Angling forum Aldi have some offers on tomorrow with plasters and some outdoor gear. Waterproof pants at €9.99, anyone buy these before and know if there worthwhile? http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week16Thursday13.htm?WT.z_src=main
    The waterproof pants are not breathable so you will sweat like a pig in them but if you are on a budget then you might not have much choice. The boots are fine for general use. They are not bad comfort wise, the sole isn't very thick so you would be more prone to feeling sharp objects. I don't know how they handle in wet weather/muck but you are generally going to get your feet wet in such conditions anyway. Worth a buy for 23 euro - better quality boots you are looking at 50/60 at a very minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Alun wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the tube to be honest.

I use a Source hydration bladder, think it's the Widepac one. Haven't cleaned it since getting it yet (over a year). Often left water in it for a week in between hikes too, then just topped up what was there and off out.
    I only use it for water though, never anything sugary.

Bear in mind Source are designed for minimal cleaning so I wouldn't chance that with all bladders. I'm still kicking I'm glad to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

I used bladders all the time when hill running.

Now as a hill walker I prefer a plastic bottle in a side pouch. I can see how much is left, can refill it easily at a stream or tap, can use it more easily for first aid purposes, can separate it from my bag when bags are being squashed into car booths and don't have to put up with the bas*ard job it is to reinsert a refilled bladder into a fully packed bag. Then when the bottle gets a bit manky it goes for recycling.

Only downside is paying for the water that comes with it initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

PosNeg wrote: »
    I used bladders all the time when hill running.

Now as a hill walker I prefer a plastic bottle in a side pouch. I can see how much is left, can refill it easily at a stream or tap, can use it more easily for first aid purposes, can separate it from my bag when bags are being squashed into car booths and don't have to put up with the bas*ard job it is to reinsert a refilled bladder into a fully packed bag. Then when the bottle gets a bit manky it goes for recycling.

Only downside is paying for the water that comes with it initially.

http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm

You might be better off in the long run buying a proper water bottle.

duckysauce wrote: »
    http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm

You might be better off in the long run buying a proper water bottle.

What kind of bottle would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

What kind of bottle would you recommend?

BPA free bottles

http://walking.about.com/od/prpack/tp/bpafreebottles.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    the OP stated a day hike or a one to two hour stroll.
    i can assure you that some water and a mars bar will be plenty enough for that.
    so you can all put your expensive kit away and relax.

however if one is mountaineering or climbing or as stated even doing some extensive walks over the reeks then some extra equipment may be needed , a compass and a map maybe if trekking unfamiliar territory , i am quite alarmed that some posters are off playing bear gryliss and lighting fires all over the place with tampons and the like, odd behavior in my humble opinion.

use a bit of common sense with weather conditions , wear appropriate clothes and even in Ireland wear some suncream!
    wear decent footwear and watch your step , youll come back alive

but there is no harm in playing soldier boys or girls if its your thing

I completely agree.

Generally, unless you're incompetent, or intentionally making things difficult for yourself (by scrambling steep ridges, running, climbing or setting out in extreme weather), the probability of anything going wrong in the Irish hills is quite small.
    Alun wrote: »
    If we were to take your description of the facts about walking in Ireland at face value, we could probably disband every single MRT in Ireland tomorrow and save them all the bother. Forgive me if I believe my version of the truth.

It's even safer to hike in a city right? so why not remove ambulances from the cities? Mountain rescue doesn't necessarily exist because the Irish mountains are a wild and dangerous place. It exists because sometimes when people are injured, they happen to be in the mountains, and a regular ambulance doesn't travel so well over bogland and rocky ground.

Don't get me wrong, there's no harm in bringing your entire survival suitcase, a satellite phone and a GPS. It's fun to have and use gadgets. But 99 times out of 100, you're going to be just fine without it.

The most important things for fair weather walking in the Irish hills, in order of importance are probably :

1) Warm and/or waterproof clothes
    2) Mobile phone
    3) A map

(Edit: This is coming from somebody who has done a good deal of technical alpine climbing in locations that really are remote and dangerous, so perhaps my rosy view of Irish hillwalking is biased by this experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Sev wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Don't get me wrong, there's no harm in bringing your entire survival suitcase, a satellite phone and a GPS. It's fun to have and use gadgets. But 99 times out of 100, you're going to be just fine without it.

yeah you're right, but the point most people here who bring first aid kits, shelters with them is for when that 1 time out of a 100 goes wrong you will need some extra kit..even in ireland.

A man died in teh Reeks over the weekend...it doesnt have to be Alpine or K2 to be dangerous...I do all my walking on my own generally mid week. What is your suggestion should I trip break/sprain an ankle or my leg in the middle of bad weather with no one for miles? Not trying to be smart..just want to know why having some kit to prepare for that possibillity is so ridiculous for some people?...you have even admitted there is a 1 in 100 chance of something going wrong...quiet high odds considering the potential outcomes if you ask me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Generally, unless you're incompetent, or intentionally making things difficult for yourself (by scrambling steep ridges, running, climbing or setting out in extreme weather), the probability of anything going wrong in the Irish hills is quite small.
    Because only the incompetent have accidents :rolleyes:
    But 99 times out of 100, you're going to be just fine without it.
    And that 1 time in a hundred I'll be glad I had my first aid kit.

• Advertisement

The most important things for fair weather walking in the Irish hills, in order of importance are probably :

2) Mobile phone
    3) A map

A map but no compass?

?????

Have to say I do the opposite, always always a compass, but not necessarily a map unless I am unfamiliar with the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

2) Mobile phone
    3) A map

A mobile phone? Yes, by all means carry one and have it fully charged etc. But the idea that it's an essential piece of kit is a dangerous mindset, IMHO. God be with the days when people had to be self reliant, whether we went into town at the weekend or up on the hills.
    I recall being amazed when on a club walk back in the early 1990s, a chap had to stop and take this brick like yoke out of his pack and have a chat up up 'in the middle of nowhere'. I thought it was a pretty ignorant thing then and still do :)
    My advice, carry a phone by all means; but never, ever plan on using it.. save in a serious emergency when you've exhausted self help strategies. And avoid the mindset that says 'I/we can go here or there and sure if anything goes wrong, we can put in a call'..........

Re Map/ Compass - you can get by without either and always remember that people did for many centuries. But, a map will give you a picture of the terrain you're in and map reading is the basis of most navigational technique. A compass is fundamentally only of use to tell you where north is and how to set the map and is only useful for that in poor visibility. Sure, you can walk a given direction with a compass if 'totally lost' but that's not much use if walking that direction brings you over cliffs or out into the ocean etc

BarryD wrote: »
    Re Map/ Compass - you can get by without either and always remember that people did for many centuries. But, a map will give you a picture of the terrain you're in and map reading is the basis of most navigational technique. A compass is fundamentally only of use to tell you where north is and how to set the map and is only useful for that in poor visibility. Sure, you can walk a given direction with a compass if 'totally lost' but that's not much use if walking that direction brings you over cliffs or out into the ocean etc

Would bring a map if I was unfamiliar with the area.

But if familiar with the area (including the cliffs and oceans ;)) I would get by on just a compass alone. Was walking in West Cork last night on the raised bog area between Caoinkeen and Knockboy in very thick fog in a fairly featureless terrain. Know the area, know that there are serious 300m cliffs just north of Caoinkeen, that peak is almost due north of Knockboy etc. If I had no compass, I would have been out there all night. Would never leave the house without one when out around the wilds of West Cork and South Kerry, particularly on very featureless landscapes like Mangerton, Knockboy etc.

But if familiar with the area (including the cliffs and oceans ;)) I would get by on just a compass alone.

Ah yes, Conor.. but in this case you have a mental map of the terrain, you know it well enough or at least, you think you do!! So in this sense, you have a map with you. Most people never refer to a map for local car journeys etc., they just use their mental picture and local landmarks. However, most of us don't journey regularly over the same patch of hills - you'd have to be a hill farmer and even they go astray and have a healthy respect for the 'fog'.

Ah yes, Conor.. but in this case you have a mental map of the terrain, you know it well enough or at least, you think you do!!

Oh I agree, as I said, in unfamiliar terrain, a compass and map, in familiar territory, a compass alone...but always the compass, as opposed to always a map. In fog, on featureless ground, if you don't even know what way you are facing, the best of maps are of limited use when you can't see what they show. The thing with a compass too is that it fits in a pocket. I didn't bother with it for the first year or 2, was sticking with tracks, was out in good weather. But as I started to push the walking into more remote areas in worse conditions, and started learning by mistake and getting caught out in thick fog or whiteout blizzards, it became the first thing I check in my bag.

Well doctors differ and patients die etc. A magnetic compass offers just one piece of reliable information, where magnetic north is, essentially nothing more. A map, any map, even a comparatively useless map, contains a vast amount of information, highly compressed by means of a graphic language. A map is one of those concepts that sets humankind apart :)

I make maps and I sometimes consider the fact that if I were to try and write down in text, in a book - just one small area of one of my maps, I could fill many chapters and even volumes. The nature of topographic detail, it's size, extent, location and relationship to all adjoining detail. This written description wouldn't be much use to anyone. But a map distills and organises this data and renders it useful.

A magnetic compass offers just one piece of reliable information, where magnetic north is, essentially nothing more. A map, any map, even a comparatively useless map, contains a vast amount of information, highly compressed by means of a graphic language. A map is one of those concepts that sets humankind apart :)

But when out walking, in my experience a map is only useful if you can see or read the terrain ie. you need to see. If it's dark or there is a thick mist and the area becomes featureless and all you can see is a few metres of bog, the compass will work away. Plus a compass tells you not just one piece of information, but that most vital piece of information...in what direction you are heading or want to head.

As for humankind, the fact that animals do not need maps but migrate thousands of miles by reference to the earth's magnetic fields tells us just how useful it is...:D;)

I should say though, to a mapmaker, I love a good map. I think it could be a man thing.

But when out walking, in my experience a map is only useful if you can see or read the terrain ie. you need to see. If it's dark or there is a thick mist and the area becomes featureless and all you can see is a few metres of bog, the compass will work away.

Ah but you're missing or not recognising a fundamental skill in hill navigation. There are two important skills regarding map reading 1) looking at the terrain about you and relating it to the map, as you say above and 2) the obverse, looking at a map and visualising the terrain - this is what gives you the mental picture of the ground, on which you base your compass etc. work in poor visibility. You then test this mental picture against what you see or encounter as you move along. You learn the second skill by practising the first and then honing it.
    For myself, I'd always carry a map of some sort and some means of determining direction. I'd also have suitable clothing and weather gear plus a woolly hat and sometimes sun hat, bit of grub and a hot drink. I'd like to carry a phone, particularly if I'm on my own but wouldn't intend to use it and wouldn't be too worried if I forgot it either. Spare top and a bivvy bag. First aid kit? Useful the odd time on your own and more so if looking after other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Don't get me wrong, there's no harm in bringing your entire survival suitcase, a satellite phone and a GPS. It's fun to have and use gadgets. But 99 times out of 100, you're going to be just fine without it
    How often do you walk in the hills? Once a week on average, perhaps?

So, let's say the risk of an unfortunate incident is, as you say, 1 in a 100 or 1%.

If you walk once a week, you will go on 52 walks a year and 104 walks over a two-year period.

So, on average, you will run in to trouble at least once every two years. Is that an acceptable level of risk for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Judge wrote: »
    How often do you walk in the hills? Once a week on average, perhaps?

So, let's say the risk of an unfortunate incident is, as you say, 1 in a 100 or 1%.

If you walk once a week, you will go on 52 walks a year and 104 walks over a two-year period.

So, on average, you will run in to trouble at least once every two years. Is that an acceptable level of risk for you?

You're dead right. You hit the nail in the head. It's really just a question of your personal appetite for risk. The risk of hurting myself a little in the Irish hills and not having some basic first aid materials pales in comparison to the much more dangerous situations I have found myself in before, in say, the Alps. I'm perfectly happy to break my ankle in Wicklow and hop my way to the side of a road somewhere. I think if you have the three things I mentioned before :

1) sufficiently warm clothes (to shiver through the night in the rain and wind)
    2) a mobile phone (so you can simply just ring somebody if you have coverage)
    3) a map (so you know where you are)

Then in the rather mild climate of Irish mountains, populated by weekend walkers, you're hardly screwed.

Sure, if you're really unlucky, you might find yourself with a more life threatening injury than that, but then a first aid kit probably isn't going to do you much good anyway.

Regarding the importance of map vs compass:

I agree that if you know the terrain, you don't need a map, so obviously a compass is more important then.

But in completely unknown terrain, what good is a compass? At least if you have a map, you can deduce north and south by identifying landmarks on the map that you can see, and there are many ways to identify north and south without a compass (even in poor visibility combined with your map, you could make decent guesses based on, say, wind direction, slope aspect, rivers). But there's no substitute for a map.

Advertisement