Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer freezing

Options
  • 14-04-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,122 ✭✭✭✭

This has been going on a while on and off now.
    Basically when turn on the PC, it may get as far as the Starting Windows(7) screen before stopping and needing a hard reset.

Or it could happen at the login screen, randomly while on the web but once th PC is logged in it's usually okay until I try doing someting like playing a game.

Currently playing Tomb Raider(My specs are good enough to play it). Sometimes I can go hours with no problem while other times it freezes after about 20 minutes with just the last sound being constantly repeated.

I've got it in my head that it's the hard drive that's the problem(Hoping as may be cheapest to replace. :)). Would anyone else agree, or has anyone seen or heard of similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

have you run a disk check? if not do this first.

Laptop or desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Sounds very much like a hard disk problem. I'd back up your important files if I were you, and run a chkdsk, see if that turns up any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,122 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's a desktop. Running windows chkdsk now. Will post when done

Chkdsk finished and didn't report any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Could be a memory issue, I had a similar problem a while ago and re-seated my RAM. All is good now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

DO a full virus scan, make sure you have at least 5 gig free space on drive c.
    Check your cpu or graphics card is not overheating,
    SEE http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Opened it, made sure everything was in tight and now it won't even get to the blue bios screen. Had this happen previously as well where I just had to keep powering off and on until it did.

So guessing more of a motherboard issue?

Got it working again and even managed to play tomb raider without freezing. I just disconnected the front audio out from the motherboard. Seems to just be a temp fix since it still took a few attempts to load windows

Advertisement