Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humourous Books

Options
  • 14-04-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, Sorry if theres already a thread on this but I was wondering would anyone recommend any humourous books? Preferably Irish ones!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Hi, Sorry if theres already a thread on this but I was wondering would anyone recommend any humourous books? Preferably Irish ones!

not Irish,but anything by Irvine Welsh cracks me up.filth is especially funny

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Again not Irish, but Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen is the funniest book I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Well-Remembered Days, by Arthur Mathews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Thanks for the replies! that Arthur Mathews book looks particularly interesting! I read a very good book called Rock and A Hard place a few weeks back and was looking for something in that kind of genre!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The Artemis Fowl books are funny. Albeit they are kids books but are exceptionally written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Ulysses. Not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

The one that really sticks out is About a Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Our Man In Havana by Graham Greene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, was genuinely in tears reading it.

As for Irish books, try At Swim Two Birds by Flann O'Brien (prepare for a strange ride, however)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Third Policeman and At Swim Two Birds would probably stand out as the two LOL Irish novels.

Cant think of any others. On the other hand, if you wanted bleak depressing etc Irish novels, one could name about 200.

In Irish literature then, Paul Durcan has some very funny poems (although a lot of bleak and depressing ones also).

From overseas......I read Oliver Twist last Christmas, that surprisingly contained a lot of humour.....mostly deep sarcastic humour. Catch 22 also is a goody.

Funniest of all imho is Jeeves and Wooster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

A confederacy of dunces - John Kennedy Toole
    Its a brilliant book, I've read it several times.
    Book was published 11 years after the author committed suicide
    Went on to win a Pulitzer prize too

Looks like there are some great recommendations i this thread, thanks very much to all who recommended!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you read McCarthy's Bar ?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12502.McCarthy_s_Bar

That fits the bill of being really funny and based in Ireland.

adrian522 wrote: »

I did actually! The author describd parts of Rural Ieland very honestly and it was quite funny too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

qwerty93 wrote: »
    I did actually! The author describd parts of Rural Ieland very honestly and it was quite funny too!

Cool.

He did write a follow up but I haven't read it. It's called the Road to McCarthy I think.

I can second "A Confederacy of Dunces" an excellent book, but it's not irish, it's based in New Orleans.

A confederacy of dunces - John Kennedy Toole
    Its a brilliant book, I've read it several times.
    Book was published 11 years after the author committed suicide
    Went on to win a Pulitzer prize too

Really? I got 30 pages in and I haven't wanted to pick the book up again (a bad sign), Also didn't find one single thing humorous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Flashman series.

Some genuinely hilarious moments throughout.

Flashman is such a scoundrel and a cad.

From Wikipedia:

"Fraser's Flashman is an antihero who runs from danger or hides cowering in fear, betrays or abandons acquaintances at the slightest incentive, bullies and beats servants with gusto, beds every available woman, carries off any loot he can grab, and gambles and boozes enthusiastically. Nevertheless, through a combination of luck and cunning, he usually ends each volume acclaimed as a hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

adrian522 wrote: »

great read,i think the author,Tim mc carthy passed away last year at a youngish age.was he the same guy that penned 'around Ireland with a fridge' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paglynncashel

Cormac McCarthy's The Road, the feelgood novel of the decade. Hilarious.

great read,i think the author,Tim mc carthy passed away last year at a youngish age.was he the same guy that penned 'around Ireland with a fridge' ?

Pete McCarthy. He passed away in 2004.

Don't think he wrote Around Ireland with a fridge.

He had intended another book about the 6 counties of northern ireland but never got to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Tony Hawks wrote the fridge book.

I know there's absolutely no Irish connection but give me a P G Wodehouse any time. Not just Jeeves and Wooster, mentioned in an earlier post, but also the Blandings Castle, Psmith and Mr. Mulliner sagas/stories. Recent TV series of Blandings Castle was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Don Quixote

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Mentioned here in passing but Round Ireland with a Fridge is definitely worth a read. Based on a pub bet to simply travel Round Ireland with a Fridge, even the late Gerry Ryan gets involved to regularly check in on his progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Not Irish but I recently read The Princess Bride by William Goldman I thought it was hilarious, one of the few books that actually made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anything with Spike Milligan written on the front.

blackhound wrote: »
    Not Irish but I recently read The Princess Bride by William Goldman I thought it was hilarious, one of the few books that actually made me laugh out loud.

I read his 'Adventures in the Screen Trade' were he revealed that his script for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was so funny that he was forced by the studio to remove half of the jokes as they were marketing it as a serious western (it's still awful funny though)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I read his 'Adventures in the Screen Trade' were he revealed that his script for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was so funny that he was forced by the studio to remove half of the jokes as they were marketing it as a serious western (it's still awful funny though)

Really? Haven't read that but going on Princess Bride I love his style, it could so easily come across as arrogant but it's so clever and self aware. I may look into it.

Other books I love that I find quite funny even if they can also be quite depressing are any of Bukowskis novels, Hollywood is especially funny imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Irish and funny. Skullduggery Pleasant, aimed at teens, the writer can write dialogue and character interchanges as well as I have seen. The writing will make you laugh, their actual things that people would say not any cheesy Twilighty sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Almost as funny as the Kite Runner, The Bell Jar and my personal "lol" favourite... Anne Frank's Diary.

Advertisement