Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humourous Books

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

How about the Ross O'Carroll Kelly ones? They are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mystery Man by Colin Bateman, a comedy detective tale, his character is one part Bernard Black, one part Dirk Gently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

its another non Irish book but... Yes man by Danny Wallace is probably the funniest book I've ever read.

ignoring the film that wasn't remotely as good. this literally had me in tears laughing in places.

its laddish humour but particularly well done at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison. He lived in Ireland for a while so there's a (tiny) bit of an Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The Superchick trilogy is very funny.
    If anyone knows of any similar books, I would love to hear about them

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superchick-Stephen-J-Martin/dp/1856354644/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369321581&sr=1-3&keywords=stephen+j+martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Not Irish, but Fever Pitch is very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How about the Ross O'Carroll Kelly ones? They are hilarious.

Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

The Secret World of the Irish Male - Joseph O'Connor
    Non-irish would be The Hitchhikers Guide - Douglas Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

delux wrote: »
    The Secret World of the Irish Male - Joseph O'Connor
    Non-irish would be The Hitchhikers Guide - Douglas Adams

I read Star of the Sea by O'Connor but never got around to Redemption Falls or the abovementioned. How do they compare to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

I read Star of the Sea by O'Connor but never got around to Redemption Falls or the abovementioned. How do they compare to it?
    I haven't read his other books so I don't know but I get the impression it's different based on the descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The World Cup diary part of The Secret Life of the Irish Male is very good, the book is quite funny in parts.
    It is non-fiction so obviously completely different to Star of the Sea(one of the best ever Irish books IMO), Redemption Falls is hard work at the start but is well worth it once the story gets going, Ghost Light is probably the weakest of the trilogy but that's not to say it's a bad book. One of his earlier novels The Salesman is also a cracking read.

I like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly in the Times but I haven't read any of the books, tried to read Triggs recently and it was absolutely crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Mystery Man by Colin Bateman, a comedy detective tale, his character is one part Bernard Black, one part Dirk Gently.
    I second this. Actually had to put the book down on the train because I was laughing too much and getting weird looks. He also has a huge back catalogue so no waiting for the new book to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Rachels Holiday by Irish author Marian Keyes is extremely funny. It wouldn't be a genre I'd usually enjoy but I found myself laughing outloud in the middle of the night when I was reading it. It tells a very poignant story,it doesn't shy away from the big issues it tackles but it manages to be absolutely side splitting hilarious at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

pigtown wrote: »
    I second this. Actually had to put the book down on the train because I was laughing too much and getting weird looks. He also has a huge back catalogue so no waiting for the new book to come out.

I predict a riot
    Another laugh out loud one, right from the first page, involving yank tourists in the middle of a Belfast riot

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Swordfish trombone

Granted its just a collection of newspaper articles, but 'The Best Of Myles' is hilarious, and a book that can be dipped into randomly again and again. It never fails to make me laugh.

For a non Irish read, I have to agree with 'A Confederacy Of Dunces' - an amazing book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Ginger Man by J. P. Donleavy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Not Irish but catch 22 by Joseph Heller had some very funny parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Not Irish but catch 22 by Joseph Heller had some very funny parts.

Way too long and repetitive, if it had been edited to half its length and didn't repeat jokes so often it would be a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not Irish, but as he died today - anything by Tom Sharpe, particularly his earlier books. Not for the easily offended though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Way too long and repetitive, if it had been edited to half its length and didn't repeat jokes so often it would be a masterpiece

The repetition is partly the point of that novel. Deja vu and that guy who sees everything twice. Instances of trauma recur over and over in the sufferer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Anything by Charles Bukowski, filthy and depraved but laugh out loud funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

snausages wrote: »
    The repetition is partly the point of that novel. Deja vu and that guy who sees everything twice. Instances of trauma recur over and over in the sufferer etc.

All well and good but it made for an irritating read, one which I really enjoyed at the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I'm a big David Sedaris fan. He's more of an essayist, but I find him laugh out loud funny.

Advertisement