Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did I ever start smoking?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I actually liked smoking but could never get addicted. Not that I tried..
    Can't see the point in wasting 10 euro in something that could potentially end up destroying you. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

Get an electronic cigarette.

Besht.

Ting.

Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Poll needs another option - "Yes, but I love my ciggies". I hate the fact that I ever started and the fact that I've tried at least 10 times to stop and failled but I really love my smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I agree. Lovelytastyyummy fags :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I had my first cigarette when I was 11 or 12, smoked more or less full time between the ages of 18 and 26, (~7 or 8 a day, was never really a heavy smoker), cut down to just smoking when I was out drinking for a bit, and have completely quit in the last 4 or 5 weeks after a heavy weekend in Liverpool which left me feeling like death.

I'm sorry I ever started, but if I could be guaranteed I'd never get cancer from smoking, I'd happily smoke away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi can I ask what you would recommend to start vaping? I got the smokegreen but didn't stick to it as hit wasn't great

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/electronic-cigarettes-starter-kits/206-twisted-kanger-starter-kit.html?ps_full_site=1

As said earlier, pop over to the vaping forum.....an increasingly active forum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

81 blunts a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Shamozzle wrote: »
    What a stupid fucking thing to be at. It's the only regret I have. The wasted money, the stink of them, my teeth, can't run around for 30 seconds without having to stop and catch my breath. Dirty disgusting habit!

Do you smoke? Do you regret it?

I am an idiot.

Just give up man! Sounds like you're ready.
    I had the same thoughts as you about it when i finally did give up last June and haven't looked back.
    Go for it man-you've nothin to lose and lots to gain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm 37 and I've known since I was a child that smoking was dangerous. I don't get why teenagers still take up smoking. It might be somewhat understandable if it gave you an amazing high or something but all anyone seems to say about it is "it calms my nerves".

When I was about eight years old I saw a news report on the dangers of smoking. I rushed out to the kitchen and said to my parents "smoking can kill you". My father said "I know".

He died 13 years ago from lung problems.

I tried smoking once (when I was a teenager and before my father had died) and I was spluttering and wheezing for an hour afterwards. I didn't see the appeal in it so I never smoked another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

"Smokers are jokers kid, now get in the van." Those words saved me from a very nasty habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Smokers are jokers and jokers are funny and quitting is for quitters

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭internet_user

why do some young people think smoking helps them lose weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

'cos they have a fag instead of having a snack when the cravings hit.

it probably does help if you're already a smoker and just end up smoking more as the reason a lot of overeating occurs with snacks and such is down to boredom and the cigarette takes that away.

Never smoked tobacco on a regular basis. Don't see any benefit to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

smoking what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

8 months off them today.

/smug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm down to 60 a day after smoking nearly 100 a day for years. The plan is to cut down to 40 in the next 5-10 years then down to 20-30 in the following 7 years, then 20 or less in the following 5-7 years and then gradually over maybe 12-15 years to finally cut them out completely and by which time I will
    Hopefully be dead anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

smoking what?

How to spot a weed smoker 101.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi can I ask what you would recommend to start vaping? I got the smokegreen but didn't stick to it as hit wasn't great
    Boards has a Vaping section: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

I've been vaping for a year. A thread on 'em came up in AH a ways back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

because you smoke when you're hungry, and you stop being hungry.
    Thing is, chewing gum works too, without all the nasties from smoke.

My partner & my mother recently started e-cigarettes, both think they're excellent and have totally switched. It's cheaper, and just nicotine, and they're are quiting steps from that too, but heck, at least it's less harmful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

When i was 20 I was living in Vienna and being all 'cool' (and dating a Slovakian who used to get his €3 packs of cigarettes across the border) what else was there to do but take up smoking??:o

Anyway I smoked every day for 4 maybe 5 months, and I think I must have been inhaling it wrong. I didn't develop an addiction, and in fact the cigarettes never gave me anything but a sore throat.

Is it possible that some people just don't have the cigarette gene or what?

Looking back now it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. My friends are at the age where they're trying to give them up for economic reasons, sounds like fcuking hell but fair play if you can manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Anyway I smoked every day for 4 maybe 5 months, and I think I must have been inhaling it wrong. I didn't develop an addiction, and in fact the cigarettes never gave me anything but a sore throat.

Is it possible that some people just don't have the cigarette gene or what?

I have an aunt who smokes for enjoyment, sometimes for a month or two, but easily goes months without it. Currently going without as she lost her job, but anyways, she never has cravings for it, anymore than we'd have craving for a favourite meal.

So maybe some people just don't get addicted as easily/aren't affected.

My grandfather quit after seeing his reflection in a mirror holding a cigarette. He'd been smoking for years. But when he saw that, threw the packet in a bin and has never touched one since.. but, he also had scary wilpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Every time I see a smoking thread I just get the urge to smoke...

Advertisement