Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally out of touch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Mother of Christ almighty. And the sympathisers will still defend him in his downgrade of the city, how can you trust this loon. Get up the yard

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/big-phils-big-bill-in-exotic-bird-brasserie-29194727.html

If it was in the UK he'd be forced to resign but here he'll probably end up running the country.
    On a side note, whats this got to do with Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Mother of Christ almighty. And the sympathisers will still defend him in his downgrade of the city, how can you trust this loon. Get up the yard

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/big-phils-big-bill-in-exotic-bird-brasserie-29194727.html

When in opposition I can understand why Fianna Gael would have had supporters with their grand promises of "real change", hell they got my No.2 vote but how anyone can still support this crowd with their mirror imaging of Fianna Fail antics is beyond me. At least Fianna Fail were doing it during a time of prosperity but the absolute cold-heatedness of Fianna Gael doing this at a time when people are truly suffering is downright evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What are ye all shyting on about, should we be like North Korea and nobody goes anywhere?!

Typical hack journalism, intended to stir up exactly the kind of childish responses ye have come out with - no figures given for how many trips for how many people are included in the €133k - or how many people ran up the bill at the restaurant in Rio.

They do say Hogan himself was out of the country 30 times though, never mind anyone else who travelled from the department.

I don't see how ye geniuses can compare it to Fianna Fáil without anything to compare it to, also conspicuously absent.

And no, I'm not a FG head before ye try any of that craic, I couldn't give a toss about politics - it's stupidity that bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Meatwad wrote: »
    If it was in the UK he'd be forced to resign but here he'll probably end up running the country.
    On a side note, whats this got to do with Waterford?

Fair point, but this is the man spearheading the downgrade of the city and with these antics were supposed to trust him!!?? Get real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

What are ye all shyting on about, should we be like North Korea and nobody goes anywhere?!

Typical hack journalism, intended to stir up exactly the kind of childish responses ye have come out with - no figures given for how many trips for how many people are included in the €133k - or how many people ran up the bill at the restaurant in Rio.

They do say Hogan himself was out of the country 30 times though, never mind anyone else who travelled from the department.

I don't see how ye geniuses can compare it to Fianna Fáil without anything to compare it to, also conspicuously absent.

And no, I'm not a FG head before ye try any of that craic, I couldn't give a toss about politics - it's stupidity that bugs me.
    Agreed. And Phil Hogan is from the second worst class of Irish politician like John O'Dononghue and that ilk, just ahead of the outright corrupt ones like Lowry and Ahern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

He is the Minister for the Environment who has to date not implemented one significant change to Irelands environment(water charges DONT count), he is not the Taoiseach and he is not the minster for finance so how a bill of €133,000 can ever be justified in any situation is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

O Riain wrote: »
    He is the Minister for the Environment who has to date not implemented one significant change to Irelands environment(water charges DONT count)
    I'm not sure you understand what that portfolio entails. Were you hoping for a better climate or something?
    O Riain wrote: »
    he is not the Taoiseach and he is not the minster for finance so how a bill of €133,000 can ever be justified in any situation is beyond me.
    Yeah, it sounds steep - but without details, it's hard to say whether it's excessive.
    "The minister and the department are very aware of the costs incurred due to business conducted abroad. These trips are undertaken as part of the normal business agenda of the department and the size of delegations (which, in the main, comprise officials of the department rather than advisers, as stated) and the costs are kept to an absolute minimum at all times," according to Mr Hogan's department.

"Economy flights are the norm and 95 per cent plus of these trips have been economy class," according to a department spokesman. "Trips abroad are kept to a minimum and the minister only travels abroad on official business. The need to keep carbon emissions to a minimum is always a priority."
    Take the €800 restaurant bill - was that just Hogan and the missus pigging out on the taxpayer's dime? Outrageous, if so.

Was it a dozen DOE guys and/or Hogan meeting some Brazilian counterparts having a dinner to forge trade links with fast-growing Brazilian companies? Quite reasonable, in that case.

But the Sindo leaves out all the details - presumably to allow them to blow it up into a story and get us all riled up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Absolutely nothing to do with Waterford. Start the thread in the Politics Forum.]

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement