Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for leftover white lasagne sauce?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I'm making lasagne tonight and although I make it all from scratch, I do sometimes use a jar of white sauce.

What I'm wondering is..what can I do with the leftover white sauce?

I do pour it generously in layers of the lasagne but I'm always left with some and I end up throwing it out, which is very wasteful.

Any ideas what I could do with leftover sauce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm making lasagne tonight and although I make it all from scratch, I do sometimes use a jar of white sauce.

What I'm wondering is..what can I do with the leftover white sauce?

I do pour it generously in layers of the lasagne but I'm always left with some and I end up throwing it out, which is very wasteful.

Any ideas what I could do with leftover sauce?

Freeze it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Would it freeze well?
    The sauce contains cream so I don't know...I always thought defrosting sauce would make it watery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Could you use it for a carbonara or another creamy pasta dish?

Or maybe if you were cooking fish/ham etc, maybe use it instead of a gravy or something?

Maybe make extra lasagne portions and freeze those?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you have sauce left over then you're doing it wrong, make more lasagne.

If you have sauce left over then you're doing it wrong, make more lasagne.

Hehe, I do pour lots of it on but if I use the whole jar, the lasagne will be swimming in the stuff!

• Advertisement

Toast4532 wrote: »

Or maybe if you were cooking fish/ham etc, maybe use it instead of a gravy or something?

Good idea..there wouldn't be enough sauce left for a whole lasagne but I could make mini ones! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Add a little mustard and a bucket load of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and have it with ham or bacon. Will freeze ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

I know you said you make it yourself from scratch sometimes but it can be done more quickly than a lot of recipes make out in my experience. I know I've tried recipes involving bay leaf, nutmeg, peppercorns etc which need to be sieved out ... I don't think you don't need any of that and you can then knock it up in about 3 minutes using just a small pot and a pint glass so no mess:

1) Put about 25g flour and 25g butter together in a pot on low heat (with a little experience you'll be able to eyeball it)
    2) start microwaving about 3/4 pint of milk (takes 2:00 in my 800w micro)
    3) whisk the flour and butter in pot while micro hums away
    4) when the micro dings, pour the milk slowly into the pot, whisking as you go
    5) add a pinch of chicken stock, salt and pepper

It costs less than a jar of sauce and you need only make the amount you need too.

Anyway, to answer your question: you won't have much left from the jar so maybe if you have any leftover ham or chicken you could mix through with a spoon of frozen peas. You then basically have pie filling so you could:

- have it in a mug topped with mash or puff pastry, baked for 20 mins

or just heat it up and serve with:

- brown bread and some salad, as an open sandwich
    - with chips and salad
    - as topping for a large baked/microwaved potato with some grated cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Could you use it for a carbonara?
    How to insult any Italian food lover in one sentence.
    Good for a filling for a chicken based pie or as part of a topping for a croque mouseuir

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no cream in Carbonara! :)

I say freeze it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

awec wrote: »
    There is no cream in Carbonara! :)

I say freeze it tbh.

Or flour or butter or milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

freeze it or add some extra cheese and make mac and cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

If you sweat down some white cabbage, mix the white sauce through and pour it in to an oven proof dish cover in grated cheese and bake, it makes a nice side dish. You can add whatever other flavourings you think would work.

Also cheese sauce for broccoli or cauliflower.
    White sauce for ham.
    Add lots of cheese and a dash of worchestshire sauce, put on toast you have not a true welsh rarebit but damn tasty.
    Add to a soup if not that much at all, gives mushroom soup a nice creamy consistency.
    Blend with loads of baby spinach add a pinch of grated nutmeg, makes a nice sauce for chicken or fish.

And last of all it will freeze well if made with a roux, but when defrosted will split on you, just use a hand blender to bring it back together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Keep it to top a spinach and ricotta cannelloni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Cauliflower gratin!! delish.

steam some cauliflower, pour in oven proof dish, add the bechamel, then sprinkle lots of emmental or gruyere on top and stick in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then grill for a bit to get a bit of color and crunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You could use it as the bechamel in Kroketten if you had enough of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

you could pour it over some veg and bake it in the oven.. maybe top it with breadcrumbs or cheese.. things like leeks, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (as mentioned above) work well.

Advertisement