Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water changes

Options
  • 14-04-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, Just looking for some advice regarding water changes.

Getting the water out isn't a problem I just have my siphon attached to the garden hose and I siphon it straight out into the drain in the back garden.

Getting it back in is where I'm looking for some advice/tips. I'm thinking of filling a 50l bin the night before treating and heating it. Now what I'm wondering is how I will get the water from said bin back into the tank.

Does anyone know if there is a small water pump I could buy somewhere that will just attach to garden hose and pump the water back into the tank from the bin??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Get a bin that's small enough for you to lift it and tip the water into the tank.

This is what I do. I siphon out the water into a 25 litre bin and carry out the back garden and tip it into the drain. I then fill the bin back up with cold water from the garden tap and add a kettle of boiling water to warm it up a bit. I also add water conditioner to the bin. I then tip the water back into the tank.

During the summer months I don't add a kettle of water as the water from the tap isn't that cold.

Try keep your water changes simple and easy because you're more likely keep a regular routine if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just realised I had a spare powerhead lying around which does the job perfectly! No more lifting for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've a similar system. I use a water butt to prepare water and heat it over night. I syphon straight out via a garden hose and use a fountain pump to pump the water into the tanks. I can't do much lifting so necessity was the mother of invention for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

I got this off Amazon. It's brilliant! Was a real pain trying to lift bins with 30 litres of water up to a height of about 1.5 meters to pour in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003620LYY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an electric pump. You put the pump at the bottom of your bucket/bin, and run a hose pipe up to your aquarium, then turn it on, and viola, the water flows in. It takes a bit more than a minute to pump in 30 litres, which is a good balance of speed without too much pressure.

I did have to buy the hose separately (Seahorse in Dublin) and it was only a couple of euro.

Cheers,
    Al.

Advertisement