Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student & Full Time Grad Dip Question.

Options
  • 14-04-2013 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been accepted for a full time Grad Dip/Masters in UL. I'm going to be 36 when I start it in September.

I'm working freelance at the moment. Not getting full time work out of it, but tipping away.

I am not sure if I should be applying for anything in terms of grants or assistance as a mature student? I'm not assuming I am entitled to anything, but am curious. I have been told to get in touch with my local VEC. For what exactly, I am not so sure yet.

I did do a Grad Dip way back in 2001/2002 and got a mature student grant at the time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Maintenance grants for post-grad students were discontinued a couple of years ago, however some fee support remains. Details here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

To be honest its unlikely you will be eligible for any funding support for this course if you already hold a qualification at this level. Funding tends to follow progression and isn't available to do a 2nd qualification at the same level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yes, I was told that I would have to be progressing in order to be eligible for anything. Again, I was not assuming I would be, but thought I would at least suss it out. I will look into fee support if possible. Anything at all would help.

Should I be getting in touch with the VEC concerning fee support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

No, All grant and fee support for new applicants are being handled by SUSI.
    The VEC's and County Councils are only dealing with students who applied for grants up to 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cheers. I got in touch with them in the meantime.

Advertisement