Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PartTime V FullTime?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

As it says, part time V full time college?

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Depends on the course I'd say. I have never studied part time so I can't speak for anyone who has.

It would be difficult to study physics part time IMO. Not impossible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Depends on a whole range of things. Part time education suits a lot people's lifestyle, be they employed or with family commitments. Part time education is also a different college experience, largely focusing on progression, usually leaving little or no time for any extra-curricular activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It depends on your lifestyle, i work full time and study in Kevin Street part time three nights a week. It's tough to juggle and I dont have much time to do anything other than study in my time off.

It helps that im really interested in the course im doing so its not difficult to motivate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

pauliebdub wrote: »
    It depends on your lifestyle, i work full time and study in Kevin Street part time three nights a week. It's tough to juggle and I dont have much time to do anything other than study in my time off.

It helps that im really interested in the course im doing so its not difficult to motivate me.

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually currently studying full time in Kevin street myself, computer science...

But, as you where saying, it depends on your lifestyle, and after experiencing full time work in the industry, and then leaving it to go to college full time, I think Id prefer to work full time, and study part time, I just haven't been getting what I wanted out of full time study, though I still want my degree, so wanted to explore my options.

What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

How do you manage the work/study/ life balance?

Cheers for the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mudderagod

As someone who has been studying part-time and working full-time for the last 4 years (Kevin's St. also), I honestly think that if you can afford to study full-time then go for it. Part-time has taken all of my weekends, family time etc. and it takes twice as long to complete the course. I had planned to do 6 years total but I just cant take another year I'm sick to my eye teeth of it, which is a pity because I was very enthusiastic for the first three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

But, as you where saying, it depends on your lifestyle, and after experiencing full time work in the industry, and then leaving it to go to college full time, I think Id prefer to work full time, and study part time, I just haven't been getting what I wanted out of full time study, though I still want my degree, so wanted to explore my options.

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting to get out of full-time that you didn't? You don't have to answer that obviously if it's personal :P I'm studying full-time at the moment and working every other hour, it's hell and I'm assuming having it the other way around would be the same only more dragged out. Currently on extensions for two assignments that I still don't think I'll have done in time, and no preparation for my exams at all :( It isn't all work-related, I have other personal **** going on, but it's a large factor and I can't count how many times I've wished I didn't have to work while studying! Having basically no free time takes a lot out of you after a while, I couldn't imagine doing it for six years!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting to get out of full-time that you didn't? You don't have to answer that obviously if it's personal :P I'm studying full-time at the moment and working every other hour, it's hell and I'm assuming having it the other way around would be the same only more dragged out. Currently on extensions for two assignments that I still don't think I'll have done in time, and no preparation for my exams at all :( It isn't all work-related, I have other personal **** going on, but it's a large factor and I can't count how many times I've wished I didn't have to work while studying! Having basically no free time takes a lot out of you after a while, I couldn't imagine doing it for six years!

No, it's not personal :) - I wasn't a standard applicant, like others coming from second level education.. i am 21, having worked in the IT industry last year, i thought it would be best for me to go back to college, full time, to experience what everyone else my age was doing "the college/student life" i built the idea up in my head, before i started, telling myself it was going to be this great thing.. where i would party every night, and just have an all round awesome time.. but, i have come to realize, while still enjoying parts of my degree, it's not all it's made out to be.. that is, it's not all i "thought" it would be...

Perhaps, i think i might be more suited to working in the industry, while gaining my degree part-time.. because i am 100% passionate about my area of study, being IT, and i know 100% i want a degree, no matter what.. so just looking at exploring my options, though im not committing myself to the change just yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

An awful lot of courses simply aren't offered part-time, especially smaller ones. I would probably have gone for this option but simply couldn't.

If yours is, then it depends on you. If you work a full time job, and need to pay your own way through college, then you may need to consider part time. On the other hand, if part time work is enough to get you by (or of course if you're not working at all) then you should go for the full time option. In terms of which is better academically, you'll undoubtedly get more contact hours and in general a better learning experience from the full time I'd say.

Advertisement