Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden gates

Options
  • 14-04-2013 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Folks im looking for someone who will make and fit a pair of hardwood gates , anyone know of anyone in this line of work, im based in Buncrana.

thanks in anticipation..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Theres a guy in the North who has been advertising regularly on DoneDeal a range of wooden gates, with fitting a small extra charge.

If you search for "WOODEN GATES" and change the area to DERRY, you will see his advert.

I have no connection to this seller at all, just might be contacting him in the future as I am also considering buying some. If someone more local in Donegal could do similar gates at a good price then I too would like to know about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

NIMAN wrote: »
    Theres a guy in the North who has been advertising regularly on DoneDeal a range of wooden gates, with fitting a small extra charge.

If you search for "WOODEN GATES" and change the area to DERRY, you will see his advert.

I have no connection to this seller at all, just might be contacting him in the future as I am also considering buying some. If someone more local in Donegal could do similar gates at a good price then I too would like to know about them.

Thanks NIMAN ill let you know how I get on..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Based in Rathmullan, I too am looking for wooden gates made and fitted by same person. Seems to be a bit of an issue finding someone, loads of suppliers but none of them will fit there own product, find that strange.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I looked for ages for wooden gates, but unless your span in 10ft or less, then solid wooden gates just sag or they'll catch too much wind and could be ripped out of the walls. My span is 14ft and although its possible to get 14ft wooden gates, the people that make them dont want to fit them as they will be responsible when they go wrong. Only option I have is to buy metal frame gates that have a wooden exterior, but even that isn't ideal (too heavy).

There was one company based in the north who were willing to make and fit the gates, but the style I wanted was working out at €1600. I'll try and find their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a 12ft span, and I would plan 2 x 6ft gates, secured at the centre.

Would this not help in high winds? Surely if they are not left lying open in high winds then they would be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have a 12ft span, and I would plan 2 x 6ft gates, secured at the centre.

Would this not help in high winds? Surely if they are not left lying open in high winds then they would be ok?

You can certainly find the gates you want and you may have no problems at all. My drive way is very exposed and a fairly high elevation, so I was informed that wind would be a problem especially seen I wanted a solid gate. A slated gate wouldn't be as bad in windy weather.

This was the style of gate I wanted;
    Wooden-Gates-165753_image.jpg

Advertisement