Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooliganisim rears its ugly head once again.

• 14-04-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭

First the Millwall fans kick off at Wembley and earlier today the Newcastle fans rioted against police after their three goal defeat in the Tyne-Wear derby.

A weekend of shame for football. It makes me think twice about trying to get a ticket for the England Ireland match in the summer.

What can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

One newcastle fan was so angry today he decided to fight a horse

249412.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well the man looks spry but the horse has height and reach.......I'll go for the Horse on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

klose wrote: »

Yeah disgraceful and idiotic in equal measure. You can see him in the video above. He is tackled to the ground seconds later. You'd think a man of his age would know better. Lets hope his family and co workers give him the stick he deserves over this.

Again these yobs see female police officers as fair game when it kicks off. Disturbing and thugish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What does be going through peoples heads...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Animals, really have to wonder what goes through their little minds.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A weekend of shame for football. It makes me think twice about trying to get a ticket for the England Ireland match in the summer.

I'm getting pretty concerned about this fixture as well. I figured enough time had passed for it to be okay, but the last week has left me worried that elements interested in trouble may well target it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Here is the horse fighter seconds after that first photo

article-2308933-194A5E85000005DC-336_634x434.jpg

Not so tough now.

This weekend we have unearthed two of footballs dumbest holligans

article-2308933-194A5EDF000005DC-710_634x418.jpgBHwDgVECUAAxy0A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm slightly suspicious of all these media reports. While there was a lot made of yesterdays riots, there were 10 arrests made in Wembly yesterday. How many arrests are made at old trafford, anfield or stamford bridge on any given game day. Again today, a big play being made out of limited trouble after a high tension derby game.
    I'm not saying lads acting the bollix around games is right, but this week in particular ( mrs thatchers death and funeral) there are a lot of vested interests in the media, police and politics who it suits to make public order issues part of tge agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The guy from the Millwall game probably stole the hat to cover up that haircut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I find their stupidity highly amusing. I wonder what they're trying to achieve, how do they justify it to themselves?

"We lost, I'm gonna go fight the police on their horses. That'll show them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Animals, really have to wonder what goes through their little minds.

I could hazard a guess.......

image_CAAX8_PKI_Copy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm slightly suspicious of all these media reports. While there was a lot made of yesterdays riots, there were 10 arrests made in Wembly yesterday. How many arrests are made at old trafford, anfield or stamford bridge on any given game day. Again today, a big play being made out of limited trouble after a high tension derby game.
    I'm not saying lads acting the bollix around games is right, but this week in particular ( mrs thatchers death and funeral) there are a lot of vested interests in the media, police and politics who it suits to make public order issues part of tge agenda

Its like banging your head against the wall.

Most of these arrests in the places you mention and others is that they have nothing to do with Violence.

These scenes are not something you see everyweek.

Its common sense really.

So these incidents are completely isolated and nothing like them have been seen in years? I'm not saying nothing happened but the incidents and in particular the high level of exposure of them on the likes of Sky News etc have to be seen through the prism of what's happening in England this week IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

What can be done?
    ]

It's not our problem so I don't know why you're asking...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily be 'suspicious' of media reports, I'd agree in general here. I think the Newcastle stuff wouldn't be reported on evening news bulletins and given such attention if Millwall hadn't happened yesterday.

Statue erected outside St James's park this evening

5475548851_51edc7d929_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dfx- wrote: »
    Whilst I wouldn't necessarily be 'suspicious' of media reports, I'd agree in general here. I think the Newcastle stuff wouldn't be reported on evening news bulletins and given such attention if Millwall hadn't happened yesterday.

The Newcastle stuff may be blown a bit out of proportion but the idea that anything in any way resembling what the Millwall scum element were at yesterday goes on at Anfield, Old Trafford or anywhere else as he seems to be suggesting is laughable.

Liam O wrote: »
    The Newcastle stuff may be blown a bit out of proportion but the idea that anything in any way resembling what the Millwall scum element were at yesterday goes on at Anfield, Old Trafford or anywhere else as he seems to be suggesting is laughable.

That stuff happens alot in the UK but isn't reported.

Tbh, the Newcastle stuff didn't look too bad apart from the Horse Puncher and a few eejits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The Po-po should be cracking skulls. If you find yourself on the front line of one of these stand off's with Police you have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

It has been creeping into Irish football also over the last few years.

Been a Bohs fan I have seen a few scraps (not involved) . Latest one was at a Cork City v Bohs a couple of weeks ago was marred by scumbags running onto the pitch and outside the ground causing trouble. Not the first incident like this

The Brits can scrap as much as they want for all I care but when Irish clubs are struggling to pay the bills and attract fans I wish they would stop.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That stuff happens alot in the UK but isn't reported.
    s

And all I'm doing is questioning the tone and reasoning of the reporting. As usual posting anything except the bleeding obvious around here makes you a gob****e or a laughing stock. While I'm not necessarily downplaying the events yesterday at the same time they were
    neither unheard of nor altogether surprising. Yet still news channels proclaimed loudly and 10 arrests were made as if this was something unusual.

All I'm saying lads is look past the headlines and question why all this is coming up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Smashing up their own city which makes it even more ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Utterly embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan today.

So many times we've been a laughing stock on the pitch.

Now we're a laughing stock off it.

So ashamed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    It has been creeping into Irish football also over the last few years.

I would say we've seen a decrease in events like that tbh

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Utterly embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan today.

So many times we've been a laughing stock on the pitch.

Now we're a laughing stock off it.

So ashamed right now.

Don't.

You did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

ollie1 wrote: »

If only the horse gave that clown an almighty kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    I would say we've seen a decrease in events like that tbh

Possibly but it has happened already with Bohs on their first away game this season. Happened on one of our last away games last season against Dundalk. Rovers up in Belfast against Linfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Statue erected outside St James's park this evening

5475548851_51edc7d929_z.jpg
    :D:D - thanks that gave me a good chuckle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

A dark day for NUFC, the club's name dragged through the gutter by a bunch of d**cks.

Hopefully sufficient punishment will be given to that horse punching idiot!

I mean to punch a horse.

When you stop and think about it for second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Down playing these incidents only increases the problem. What other sport would you see such things? and what other sport would you see people trying to down play it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Paully D wrote: »
    Smashing up their own city which makes it even more ridiculous.

Maybe they dont feel it's their city???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

hope that fella who punched the horse gets his head caved in.

always feel sorry for the horses. not sure i agree with them being used in the police. all the shouting and bangers and glass etc. maybe im wrong but i presume they are afraid.

hurricane fly runs with ear plugs in because the noise gets to him.

these police horses can't be enjoying that ****e.

****ing bellends.

cracking city for a piss up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

klose wrote: »

249412.jpg

Not the sharpest toon in the box.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Maybe they dont feel it's their city???

Sorry but what does this even mean? They're chanting "Geordies, Geordies, Geordies" and "We're Newcastle, we do what we want". Newcastle has a very strong sense of identity as far as I'm aware. Don't be making excuses for these toss pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I mean to punch a horse.

When you stop and think about it for second.

There is precedent...

mongo-horse-punch-o.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I wouldn't mind punching a horse tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bud the horse is none the worse for it.

article-0-194D518C000005DC-654_634x649.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Punching whores is great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I wouldn't mind punching a horse tbh

Boxing horses... You have the name for it to be fair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Down playing these incidents only increases the problem. What other sport would you see such things? and what other sport would you see people trying to down play it?

These incidents happen every single weekend in English football.

It just isn't publicised because these lower league teams aren't Man Utd or Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

West Ham said to be furious as shocking new picture is released of a Geordie horse being punched by a fan:

BH5TD9TCMAA3oa7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

Madworld wrote: »

It just isn't publicised because these lower league teams aren't Man Utd or Liverpool.

I'm pretty sure newcastle aren't Man Utd or Liverpool. And Milwall are in a lower division to these.

Thanks for the laugh.

No its not rife at all.

Yes they have a problem. Small problem. Its nothing like what it was in the 70-80's

I have been to fair few Man United away games(50+ at this stage in 13 years) and seen very little trouble.

You will get isolated incidents but nothing more.

I have seen more trouble at Hibs games in Scotland and even that is nothing.

Having had the situation where I have been to Europe supporting Ireland and on 1 occasion been attacked by Neo Nazi let me tell you England is nothing compared to many Eastern European countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

No its not rife at all.

Yes they have a problem. Small problem. Its nothing like what it was in the 70-80's

I have been to fair few Man United away games(50+ at this stage in 13 years) and seen very little trouble.

You will get isolated incidents but nothing more.

I have seen more trouble at Hibs games in Scotland and even that is nothing.

Having had the situation where I have been to Europe supporting Ireland and on 1 occasion been attacked by Neo Nazi let me tell you England is nothing compared to many Eastern European countries.

Nothing like it was in the 80s. - Agreed
    It doesn't happen very often in with high profile teams like Man Utd. - Agreed
    Hooliganism is worse in Eastern European countries. - Agreed

I don't really have the time to do it but if you scrawled through the message boards of all the English teams for every week this season, I'm certain you would find at least one incident each weekend.

In Ireland, we only hear of the incidents involving high profile teams. But it's naive in the extreme, to think that what happened at the weekend are isolated events in British football.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

I don't really have the time to do it but if you scrawled through the message boards of all the English teams for every week this season, I'm certain you would find at least one incident each weekend.

In Ireland, we only hear of the incidents involving high profile teams. But it's naive in the extreme, to think that what happened at the weekend are isolated events in British football.

You can't compare one incident every week to the scenes we saw this weekend. In the video in the first post you can see well over one hundred people charging at police and then being charged back by the mounted police. That is basically a riot.

What happened this weekend doesn't happen often anymore. There may be smaller incidents but not to this degree

• Advertisement
Advertisement