Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooliganisim rears its ugly head once again.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Football Hooliganism still goes on in England make no mistake about that, however the Newcastle and Millwall incidents were out of the ordinary to say that **** goes on every week is quite daft, fighting happens but not in the public eye like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Madworld wrote: »
    Nothing like it was in the 80s. - Agreed
    It doesn't happen very often in with high profile teams like Man Utd. - Agreed
    Hooliganism is worse in Eastern European countries. - Agreed

I don't really have the time to do it but if you scrawled through the message boards of all the English teams for every week this season, I'm certain you would find at least one incident each weekend.

In Ireland, we only hear of the incidents involving high profile teams. But it's naive in the extreme, to think that what happened at the weekend are isolated events in British football.

Oh I agree that few small incidents do take place, but incidents like Newcastle/Millwall do not happen every week. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm getting pretty concerned about this fixture as well. I figured enough time had passed for it to be okay, but the last week has left me worried that elements interested in trouble may well target it.

We should be ok with the FAI tickets. Outside the ground could be messy alright. Get in early I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was over for the game on Sunday in Newcastle. Ridiculous carry on. I didn't see any of it taking place luckily but I did see a load of lads rushing towards where the incidents took place.

Real pity. At the end of the day, it's a game of football. Shame that the majority are being tarred with the brain dead minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maggie Thatcher once described football fans as animals, she might be frolicking, where ever she is now. And that German F1 driver, Michael Schumacher, once suggested to use football hooligans instead of animal testing.

I really hate, if mor**s like them are proven right by a minority of all fans, any club in this world has, are proven right :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Oh I agree that few small incidents do take place, but incidents like Newcastle/Millwall do not happen every week. Thankfully.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10008220/Kidderminster-Harriers-violence-fans-angered-at-Stockport-hooligans-rampage.html

Happened again this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There were no police at all at the Kidderminster game yesterday, surprising when both teams had something to play for and both were only recently in the football league, you would think they would know better. You do still get trouble in the non league, for a couple of years Kings Lynn had a dreadful reputation for crowd trouble. To say its anything like what it is in the 80s though is ridiculous. The problem now is about 5% of what it was then. You get as many mass punch ups outside nightclubs at kicking out time as football these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There were no police at all at the Kidderminster game yesterday, surprising when both teams had something to play for and both were only recently in the football league, you would think they would know better. You do still get trouble in the non league, for a couple of years Kings Lynn had a dreadful reputation for crowd trouble. To say its anything like what it is in the 80s though is ridiculous. The problem now is about 5% of what it was then. You get as many mass punch ups outside nightclubs at kicking out time as football these days.

There shouldn't even be a problem. It doesn't happen when people congregate for other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Having had the situation where I have been to Europe supporting Ireland and on 1 occasion been attacked by Neo Nazi let me tell you England is nothing compared to many Eastern European countries.

Moscow in 02'? I was there too. Mental.

• Advertisement

Madworld wrote: »

1 match from how many?

Shall we lock ourselfs indoors while we are at it?

Come on.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Moscow in 02'? I was there too. Mental.

No was actually Czech Republic in 07. Just in wrong place at wrong to time. Was trouble that night too.

You were at that Russian game! Yikes!!!

I have met people who were at that game. Have heard this story from 2 seperate people so will ask you.

Was their Northern Ireland fans at that game who were helping the Russians? I heard there was Union Jacks in stadium that night. That's not too surprising as a wind up but apparently songs been sung that Russians not know much about and there was talk that people had seen Northern fans at game.

Only saying cause heard it from 2 seperate people.

Also heard story of guy dressed up as leprechaun in the Russian end. Irish guy living abroad. Apparently he was asked to leave and some saw few try go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No was actually Czech Republic in 07. Just in wrong place at wrong to time. Was trouble that night too.

I have met people who were at that game. Have heard this story from 2 seperate people so will ask you.

Was their Northern Ireland fans at that game who were helping the Russians? I heard there was Union Jacks in stadium that night. That's not too surprising as a wind up but apparently songs been sung that Russians not know much about and there was talk that people had seen Northern fans at game.

Also heard story of guy dressed up as leprechaun in the Russian end. Irish guy living abroad. Apparently he was asked to leave and some saw few try go for him.

I was at both those games and didnt see anything though heard some fans got attacked in Moscow. What happened in Prague?? This is the first ive ever heard of it.

I was at both those games and didnt see anything though heard some fans got attacked in Moscow. What happened in Prague?? This is the first ive ever heard of it.

This happened as we were walking back to our hotel after the night. We were going to go to main square where all Irish fans met up before the game. We met group of young lads who said we be best to head home as things were kicking off.

As we were were walking back we sadly met bunch of skinheads who were each 6ft 7ins and thats from shoulder to shoulder. The rest goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

There shouldn't even be a problem. It doesn't happen when people congregate for other sports.

Obviously never seen Greek basketball games! Also, that Louth twat attacking the ref in the Leinster final a few years back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This happened as we were walking back to our hotel after the night. We were going to go to main square where all Irish fans met up before the game. We met group of young lads who said we be best to head home as things were kicking off.

As we were were walking back we sadly met bunch of skinheads who were each 6ft 7ins and thats from shoulder to shoulder. The rest goes without saying.

Genuinely didnt know there was any bother that trip. ye get a doing?

• Advertisement

Genuinely didnt know there was any bother that trip. ye get a doing?

One of my mates got broken nose. 3 of lads got black eye. They went for the guys who had flags wrapped around them on their necks. My flag was around my waste. Those lads got scars around their necks too for few days. Once they got the flags they were happy. We just legged it. I got few boxes but gave few back but I think his punches hurt me more;)

There was 7 of us and we counted 11-12 of them. Had it been 1 on 1 I say we would of been able to handle it, but 2 lads said they saw 1 fella coming towards them with knife so it was time to leg it out asap.

Was great trip otherwise cause we did that double header. Savage trip actually bar the results.

We heard of other incidents too. In saying that we forgot about it pretty quickly cause we were on the piss up in Dublin for rest of week once we got back that Thursday, so we weren't too bad:pac:

You be surprised at the amount of things you dont hear about when away. The last Russia game in 2011 was meant to be much smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

A lot of stories going around about that Moscow match are rubbish. This was height of the Celtic Tiger when every Joe Soap had thousands and started travelling around following the Irish team. The amount of tossers on the trip was unreal, I could see the warning signs on landing in Moscow as the Russians looked on in disgust at this roaring drunken mob who thought they were just f'kn hilarious.

There were two flare ups, one was in Red Square were the Ole Ole Brigade started roaring and shouting around Lenin's tomb and slugging from bottles of vodka. From nowhere this group of skinheads steamed in and gave them a good, if not well deserved hammering. The other was a hotel bar that got a canister of CS gas thrown in and the fans stumbling out were met by possibly the same group of skinheads. People have to realise the xenophobia in Russia. Any foreign nationality, even the "lovable" Irish are hated.

The match itself was incident free, we were applauded into the ground by the Russians who behaved impeccably, no northies, union jacks or any crap like that.

I try and keep myself away from the main group on away trips as the ole ole stuff drives me insane. We had five days in Moscow, very enjoyable and the people were very friendly towards us.

bohsboy wrote: »
    A lot of stories going around about that Moscow match are rubbish. This was height of the Celtic Tiger when every Joe Soap had thousands and started travelling around following the Irish team. The amount of tossers on the trip was unreal, I could see the warning signs on landing in Moscow as the Russians looked on in disgust at this roaring drunken mob who thought they were just f'kn hilarious.

There were two flare ups, one was in Red Square were the Ole Ole Brigade started roaring and shouting around Lenin's tomb and slugging from bottles of vodka. From nowhere this group of skinheads steamed in and gave them a good, if not well deserved hammering. The other was a hotel bar that got a canister of CS gas thrown in and the fans stumbling out were met by possibly the same group of skinheads. People have to realise the xenophobia in Russia. Any foreign nationality, even the "lovable" Irish are hated.

The match itself was incident free, we were applauded into the ground by the Russians who behaved impeccably, no northies, union jacks or any crap like that.

I try and keep myself away from the main group on away trips as the ole ole stuff drives me insane. We had five days in Moscow, very enjoyable and the people were very friendly towards us.

When we went to Slovakia/Czech Republic double header we met 1 group in particular who deserved a right good hiding.

Not all Irish fans are nice as pie.

Just when I heard these stories from separate people I thought they might have some truth to them.

Advertisement