Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edmonton 2013

Options
  • 14-04-2013 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys,

Calgary have their own thread so thought I would start one for future Emontonians! Hopefully we'll get a crew together to help and advise :)

Me and the bf are hopefully heading to Edmonton Oct 2013 (hard choice to decide between Calgary or Edmonton, but have chosen Ed - wise choice??!) I've done loads of research and have found:
    - Get the SIN asap
    - Presidents Choice for bank ac
    - Kudoo for phone
    - change over to the international driving licence before going & get a drivers history report and copy of no claims bonus
    - use airbandb for first few weeks accommodation
    - 2 years travel insurance with backpackerstravelinsurance.ie
    ...did I leave anything out??

Few more questions if anyone wants to help or add to the thread:
    - what areas are good to rent in?
    - how much is the average price for a car to get to work?
    - best car insurance company's?
    - how much money is roughly needed per person to start out?
    - good temping agencies for admin work?

There is a also a good facebook page called Irish in Edmonton for anyone moving over and I have found the moving 2 Canada web page really helpful.

Any other tips and hints for finding work or settling in to share... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I went with go4less, you can go home more on their policy than backpackers
    http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

Have a look at this site for phone;
    http://mobilicity.ca/plans/multi-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mjkredmond

Hi!

Myself and my boyfriend are doing the same thing- but in the new year.
    Edmonton seems a lot more desirable than Calgary, with Calgary having over 70% ethnic minorities compared to edmontons 20% and with high wages and low housing prices alongside all it's amenities.

Have you discovered anything else in your research?
    I believe the areas to avoid are north edmonton (that dosnt include north west) millwoods, Oliver and the 107....
    I'm hoping for something in westmount or crestwood...they seem lovely but there's alot of talk of st alberts being rejuvenated... Is it something like City West in dublin though I wonder??

Are you applying for the permanent residency visa through Alberta immigratiom or getting a 2 yr visa??

Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

oliver is a lovely place, been living there for a year now, there are loads of pockets of Irish around the city, westmount, oliver, terwiliger, oliver is only 10 mins walk to city center but the transport system is really good here if you are living a little further out!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Edmonton seems to be doing better than Calgary and the rest of Canada at the minute in terms if growth and low unemployment.
    A beautiful city . Plenty of Irish about for sure , the Irish club there is thriving .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mjkredmond

Brilliant!
    Can you recommend any suburban areas that are a little bit out of the city but have a good amenities nearby and good transport?

Did anyone go over on the Alberta immigration programme?

Maria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eilsf87

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice on the areas to look out for renting wise. I've overloaded myself with research in terms of practical stuff, banking, job searching etc but am clueless in regards to Edmonton itself!! I'm going over on an IEC 2 year visa. Bf is a plumber so got to try get him sorted with online courses and AIT registration which is very confusing to say the least. I went to Oz for a year and didn't do 1/4 of the research I've done for Canada!! Hoping to arrive the end of Oct, nervous about the snow!! Really looking forward to what seems like a better way of life in terms of activities to enjoy and career possibilities...fingers crossed!

Advertisement