Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc broadband from multiroom socket

• 14-04-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

When we moved into our house we went with sky TV and the cable was brought in one side of the room. There is a ntl box on the wall on the other side of the room. We are now looking to get upc in as Internet providers it the point in our sitting room for the ntl doesn't suit as there is nothing around it for the router and placing it on the floor on shelf does t work with an 16 month old daughter. However there is ntl boxes in the bedroom (resume for multiroom TV from previous owner so wonder can we use not of these boxes to get in broadband and use wireless router to get it around the rest of the house?
    Any thoughts would be good
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Chances are it could be cabled directly from the side of the house from the main incomer, so should be the same quality as the one downstairs. If it was looped internally can sometimes cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

thanks for that, is there any way to check is it internally looped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Just open the UPC box and see how many internal cables terminate in it.

I'm told the wifi from the UPC supplied CISCO router is poor (have UPC coming today to install) so have bought a rangemax router I'm going to flash with DD-WRT to plug into it..

(I'm trying to find out of my existing cable which is used for a satellite dish can be used for UPC broadband as well using a splitter - not sure. Can use independent/unused feed to bedroom if not..)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

cheers for that, how many cable should be terminating in it?

i would imagine that the router that they supply wouldnt be fantastic but I will worry about that problem later on as it is not difficult to fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement