Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kre alkalyn or Creatine Monohydrate

• 14-04-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

I've been using Kre Alkalyn for over a year now and I don't think it is been a worthwhile investment.

Has anyone else on here got an opinion of Kre-Alklyn and whether it is superior to Creatine Monohydrate?

I was thinking about changing to CM, but was not sure. The only supplement I take is BCAA.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Are you at a level where you think it'd make a difference? I'd say try monohydrate, the internet seems to regard it as well as the other fancy creatines. I think a certain percentage of the population are non-responsive to creatine supplementation, you might be one of them (Robb Wolf did some articles on it a while back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I don't know if I'm unresponsive:confused:

I train regularly and seem to have plateaued in the past year as my weight has not increased at all.

I've been injured for the rpevious 3 weeks and I've already lost over 1kg :(

I take BCAA and approx 2.2g protein per kilo per day (combination of natural and synthetic proteins).

I spoke to a PT who told me I need to eat porridge and squat a lot and the bulk will come.

I don't know if I'm unresponsive:confused:

I train regularly and seem to have plateaued in the past year as my weight has not increased at all.

I've been injured for the rpevious 3 weeks and I've already lost over 1kg :(

I take BCAA and approx 2.2g protein per kilo per day (combination of natural and synthetic proteins).

I spoke to a PT who told me I need to eat porridge and squat a lot and the bulk will come.

So you're eating "enough" protein. What do you do in the gym? What is your bodyweight?

Like if you're 100kg and ripped and not making progress I certainly don't know what to tell you! I do think that the issue most likely goes beyond what variety of creatine you're using though.

65kg @ 5'6.

I know creatine is not the issue. I think my diet is pretty clean. It's the routine and intensity I think. Spoke to a few PT's but found them not inspriing much confidence.

What does your training usually look like? Do you think you're doing enough volume?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

"My diet is pretty clean" usually means "I eat like a bird".

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

u mention protein...but what about your carbs?

I'm not training recently due to injury, but when I was I used http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to determine what my split should be.

This resulted in the following:

Training Day
    8678305105_1b4975530e_c.jpg

8679415732_a19a50a401.jpg

Rest Day
    8679415796_6e0d10ec8c_c.jpg

8678305021_cfed0436c6.jpg

My protein intake is limited to 160g per day maximum - non negotiable.

This was just when I was getting into the swing of it, so it is not quite fully where I want it to be. But for me, it is pretty close. The only real change to it is that I've now swapped out the Bran Flakes for porridge with grapes and apples diced through it.

The IF calculator showed me 2148kCal for rest days and 2864kCal for training days. I've been trying to get as clsoe to 50% carbs intake as possible, but sometimes that is just not possible.

In terms of training, I've recently been doing routines sourced from Muscle & Strength such as:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/himl-4-maximum-muscle-building-workout-system.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Well creatine monohydrate is one of the most researched and tried and tested forms of creatine, also the cheapest AFAIK. It will do exactly what a creatine should do (for most people). Try monohydrate and see how you do, for a lot of other creatines are just hype and marketing.

I'm roughly the same height and weight as you and for me roughly 2600kcal a day is needed to maintain weight, bearing in mind I train 5 days a week. But, if you're not gaining weight, and that's your goal, eat more.

Man, that program looks unnecessarily complicated for where you are at the minute. I think your PT might not have been too far wide of the mark when he told you to squat more and eat porridge, simplistic, but not necessarily wrong. Squatting only comes up once a week in that, I know some people have one leg day a week but I think you could benefit from two or maybe three squat days where you give what you do your full attention.

You could probably ditch a load of those "shaping" exercises such as flyes and whatnot and that "pre exhausting" stuff is either unnecessary for you or just plain silly. I think that program has a place and a time where it'd be useful for certain individuals. You, for the moment should give your attention to heavy compound lifts, squat, front squat, press, bench, row, pullups, weighted planks, deadlift, romanian deadlifts, dips. Do higher repetitions, in the region of eight to maybe ten reps (five on the front squat, they don't like high reps, maybe five on the deadlifts too) across 3-4 sets

Do the assistance, isolation and machine stuff at the end of your session if you still have the energy. You probably do need to eat more calories if you can manage it, try to get more of your protein from meat and eggs rather than shakes, well over 50% of your intake comes from "synthetic" sources. You're probably going to need to put in a lot of effort in the gym, plateaus are not easy to break.

• Advertisement

Any idea as to where I would get a routine to fulfil this?

Thanks.

Dropped 1kg now. :(

Dropped 1kg now. :(

:'(

hm, I'm on me phone but I was thinking if you train three days.

squat, bench press, pullups, curlzz

front squat, Rdl, press

squat, row, dips, Abs (weighted planks etc)

big movements should be 8-10 reps, apart from front squats. Do three fives on these. Start week one light, don't go to failure, keep form tight but make sure things are becoming pretty challenging at the 4 week mark. By challenging I mean you will need to psyche up before the working sets but you can still maintain movement mechanics. You do need to eat more, I'll link Ridleyrider's post when get near a pc Edit: here. He went from around your weight to 75kg or so by hitting things hard in the gym and at the table. Ya can't really just go through the motions if you want to change. You could gain on any number different routines as long as you keep it reasonably free of clutter and hit it hard with movements that recruit a lot of muscles and move a comparatively large weight. Traditional splits work for people too, as do push-pull etc as long as you are consistent.

Squat: 90kg x 5 reps (2 sets), 100kg x 3 reps (2 sets)
    Row: 45kg x 10 (1 set), 50kg x 10 (1 set), 60kg x 10 (2 sets)
    Dips: Failed (Sternum injury makes this very painful)
    Replaced with Triceps Push Downs on Cable Machine: 30kg x 10 (3 sets)
    Abs: 25 situps (4 sets [100 reps in total])

Is this anything like it or am I miles off where I need to be for my size and weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

By the looks of those numbers it does seem that you would be a bit off. However it's hard to tell by height and weight; if you were shredded at 65kg and 5ft 6', I think you'd look fairly good. From the lifting numbers it looks like you have room for improvement (Theres always room for improvement) but if you're relatively new to lifting you should have some decent potential for increases in strength and size.And if you're injured I wouldn't really recommend trying to train through the pain, get it seen to. Better to be out for a few weeks now and clear the injury than to do long term damage.

Depending on your goals, but I think it would be a good idea to build up a solid strength foundation but at the same time I think it would be a mistake to neglect volume as this is very closely linked to growth. Mix it up between low and highe rreps. I would agree, however that the big compound movements should be your best friends. Keep a training log so you can try and beat what you did in the previous session.

Consistency is key, both in the gym andin the kitchen. Eating every 2 hours is excessive micro-management and may even be counter productive in some cases. Eat when you can,just be sure to hit your macros (Protein, carbs and fat) and calories for the day. Keeping a food log can be very useful.

At the end of the day if you're not seeing changes it's going to be due to your diet or training and not one type of creatine vs another.

Sorry about the somewhat lengthy reply,been overdosing on caffeine all day to finish some college work, hope this has been of some help!:D

Goin90 wrote: »
    By the looks of those numbers it does seem that you would be a bit off. However it's hard to tell by height and weight; if you were shredded at 65kg and 5ft 6', I think you'd look fairly good.

:(
    From the last time I weighed mysel (using the stand on machine at the gym) March 29th:
    Weight: 65.2kg (10st 3.7lbs)
    Height: 166cm (5ft 5.4in)
    BF: 18.2%
    Fat Mass: 11.8kg (1st 12lbs)
    Free Fat Mass: 53.4kg (8st 5.7lbs)

I'm not sure how close the BF% is as I would have thought it was actually lower than that, but I have no proof to disagree with it.

the lifting numbers it looks like you have room for improvement (Theres always room for improvement)

How far off and where exactly?
    * I'm not offended, just curious as to where I'm lacking.
    relatively new to lifting you should have some decent potential for increases in strength and size.

Been training for numerous years now.
    I wouldn't really recommend trying to train through the pain, get it seen to. Better to be out for a few weeks now and clear the injury than to do long term damage.

Got the all clear from physio, lackign a bit of strength and focus, but otherwise good to go.
    Keep a training log so you can try and beat what you did in the previous session.

Always do - every session! :D
    Eat when you can,just be sure to hit your macros (Protein, carbs and fat) and calories for the day. Keeping a food log can be very useful.

I do keep a food log as shown on previous page, I just find it tough to get the macros to balance out some days.
    At the end of the day if you're not seeing changes it's going to be due to your diet or training and not one type of creatine vs another.

Yes, I've slowly realised that I need a shake up here and that supplements are not the issue.
    Sorry about the somewhat lengthy reply,been overdosing on caffeine all day to finish some college work, hope this has been of some help!:D

It is very much appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement