Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd spot relegation ?

• 14-04-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

Reading and QPR are more or less gone - but the 3rd spot ?

I hope Stoke go , but somehow I think my wish wont be granted -

who do you think will be relegated? 213 votes

Wigan
    0%
    Stoke
    46%
    gandalfNeil3030DoodeeBArraDempseycelticfcdubmickflanzerLister1homerjay2005delta_bravoNailzzarquonmuletideWisesmurfabelardciano1dsmythykeith16adaminho 98 votes
    Sunderland
    12%
    FenixBounty HunterPompey Magnuscrushproof3greenrizla'sMRPRO03aidan24326secmanKirbyartanevillagreendomghosttownkarma_YawnsSpook80Insane RamblingShoelacesBig Pussy Bonpensieroceltictiger32Tipsy McSwagger 26 votes
    Aston Villa
    8%
    FatherTedRoddy23TonyD79guinnessdrinkersugarmanLeBashmiralizeeverdead.ieMikeCork2009MonkstownHoopMr_AProfessional GrieferPauloConnlavine7astonaidanCopper_pipeScummyManA_Sober_PaddyBetterCallSaul 19 votes
    Newcastle
    8%
    SickBoygustafoRikandDuffsc86GavRedKinggav86Iron HideJohnDeeSt.Spododundalkfc10DietsquirtWrongway1985Mr WhirlyahnowbrowncowChaganKingJamsieirishfeen 18 votes
    Norwich
    24%
    machiavellianmeIagomikeymjemapplehunterwhatawasterbad2daboneToniojonnyfingersclickhereNukaColadobsdaveF1ngersMoneymakerrobby^5[Deleted User]listermintarodabomballybhoyHank Scorpio 52 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Hopefully Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Stoke
    Either Wigan or Stoke. Stoke hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm gonna say Norwich. That defeat yesterday would've hit them hard, and their form is diabolical at just the wrong time

I can't see Newcastle, stoke or villa ending up in the relegation spots come may, but villa have it on their own hands with games against Norwich, Sunderland and wigan to go. Lose all 3 and they'll go down. Win any one of them and the team they beat will likely end up dropping, win more than one and it'll get really interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Whoever has the least amount of irish internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Would love Stoke or Wigan to be the third ideally.To put an end to Tony pulis's Hatchet men and wigan because theyve flirted with relegation to many times now and to shut dave whelan up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Liverpool hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

After watching stoke today my money is on them to go down

Stoke have 1 point in their last 7 matches or 5 points in their last 13. Hopefully that can continue and they'll be gone and the people who love creaming themselves about the "doing what it takes to win" mentality (which Stoke usually don't do anyway) they supposedly have can shut up for a while.

Sunderland looked a good bet until today.

Stoke are tumbling down the league but I reckon it'll be Wigan. Getting to the cup final could be a big disadvantage for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Please god let it be Stoke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

STOKE They can feck off to Craig Doyle on ITV4 where they belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Watching stoke there id have them as favourites to go down at the moment, they are awful on the pitch their style and set up is shocking. Their form is as bad as you are ever gonna see in the pl too.

Itll be a good day if they do go down, although a bad day for the championship as theyd have to put up with them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Stoke
    I really hope Stoke go down, can't stand them. I for one would like to see Wigan stay up because I think Roberto Martinez is a very good manager and a likeable character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sunderland
    Stoke's form is really poor at the moment. They just don't look like a team who can score goals right now.
    They're away to QPR next week. If they don't win that, the pressure is really on.

I don't think the cup final will bother Wigan too much. Players will be playing for their place on final day and that can only improve performances.
    They have games coming up against West Ham, West Brom and Swansea who are all safe and sound in mid table and have little to play for. Wigan could pick up plenty of points in those games.
    They also have Villa at home last day of the season... that could be very interesting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Either way Pulis should at least be sacked in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Stokes form in the second half of the season has been shocking. They're tactics are stale and teams don't fear going to the Britannia like they used to. I still think they'll stay up though.

Personally, I hope Wigan stay up. Some good players, play good football and I like Martinez. Plus, with their cup run and the fact that they're only 3 pts off safety they've done well.

Stoke or Villa hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stoke have QPR away and Norwich at home their next two games. Expect them to win both to leave the haters super salty.

Sunderland
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Stoke have QPR away and Norwich at home their next two games. Expect them to win both to leave the haters super salty.

No guarantee Stoke will get a win next week.
    QPR's form has actually been pretty decent....well, for a side in the bottom two. They've only lost 3 of their last 6, and one of those was away to Everton who are on a roll at the minute. And QPR haven't lost a home game for quite a while.

Would'nt class myself as a Stoke-hater. But you'd have to say they're definitely in trouble, and their form is woeful right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At least?

What else did you have in mind? Tarring and feathering?

I think you're taking this hatred of Stoke a bit too far.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Stoke
    I think it could be Wigan. They could lose the FA cup final and get relegated within a few days of each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Whoever has the least amount of irish internationals.

Wigan:
    James McCarthy

Villa:
    Dunne
    Clarke

(Given, Stevens, Ireland, Burke)

Stoke:
    Wilson
    Whelan
    Walters

So for the good of the Irish team, we want Wigan to go down, and McCarthy to join another club in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gbear wrote: »
    At least?

What else did you have in mind? Tarring and feathering?

I think you're taking this hatred of Stoke a bit too far.:pac:

Tarring and feathering is to good for him. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stoke
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    Wigan:
    James McCarthy

Villa:
    Dunne
    Clarke

Stoke:
    Wilson
    Whelan
    Walters

So for the good of the Irish team, we want Wigan to go down, and McCarthy to join another club in the PL.

Given, Dunne and Ireland won't be at Villa next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hopefully Stoke. Gradually grown to hate them the last season or two. They contribute very little to the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Villa Vs Wigan last day of the season gonna be massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

And the irony about it all is that it will be their 3-1 win against your beloved that keeps them up and Pulis in a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Given, Dunne and Ireland won't be at Villa next year.

The players in brackets are there coz they're not in the squad, so if you just say Dunne wont be at Villa, that leaves just Clark. So then the question is, do we want Clark or McCarthy in the PL next year.

In that case, it'd be best for Ireland if Villa got relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Newcastle
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VILLA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Hopefully Norwich. Totally bloodless, no character about them, they won't grow much bigger than they are now. Stoke provide a hate figure and I'd like to see how Lambert and Villa progress if they stay up. Norwich don't bring anything to the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stoke

I don't mind a team being physical and playing to their strengths but right now they're just utter shit. Pulis has spent a relative fortune over the past few season on a load of donkeys for no return.

At least Villa are giving some young lads a go and it'd be a great confidence boost for them to stay up.

Villa:
    Dunne
    Clarke

You forgot Samir Carruthers, Jack Grealish, Daniel Devine, Josh Barton (NI) and Michael Drennan

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Villa Vs Wigan last day of the season gonna be massive

I don't think it'll matter to either side

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Hopefully Stoke. Tony Pulis is a horrible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Norwich
    Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Usually positive about Wigans chances when they get written off most years but the cup run may be a bit of a poison chalice. Most likely unfortunately.

Amazing how they've lasted so long though, their financial model is so far from premier league its frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Newcastle
    Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Stoke

I don't mind a team being physical and playing to their strengths but right now they're just utter shit. Pulis has spent a relative fortune over the past few season on a load of donkeys for no return.

At least Villa are giving some young lads a go and it'd be a great confidence boost for them to stay up.

Something like a net £75m over the past 4/5 years which is massive relative to the clubs around them.

Sort of puts the plucky underdogs maximising their ability by playing long ball tough tackling ****e schtick to bed somewhat.

They're entitled to play the way they do, and I'm entitled to hope they go down and never come back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sunderland
    Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Stoke but have a feeling it is going to be a straight shootout between Villa & Wigan on the last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Usually positive about Wigans chances when they get written off most years but the cup run may be a bit of a poison chalice. Most likely unfortunately.

Amazing how they've lasted so long though, their financial model is so far from premier league its frightening.

Rely on TV money for 88% of their Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Surely its time for Wigan to go and it would be good for McCarthy because he'd probably get a move to Everton or somewhere like that. Can't see much demand for any of the other irish players playing for the relegation threatened teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sunderland
    I really hope Wigan survive another year, especially if it's at Stoke's expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll preface this by noting that Wigan are where they are on merit - they've won the games to get them to the top level and keep them there which is more than fair.

However, in so many respects they don't belong in the Premiership. Their attendence levels have been poor for a very long time, and the empty seats on Saturday for a cup final were a little sad. Tremendous achievement to last as long as they have done given their fanbase and budgeting, but they absolutely would not be a loss to the top flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stoke
    The players in brackets are there coz they're not in the squad, so if you just say Dunne wont be at Villa, that leaves just Clark. So then the question is, do we want Clark or McCarthy in the PL next year.

In that case, it'd be best for Ireland if Villa got relegated.

All cards on the table, I am a Villa fan, however I will try to remain unbiased ;)

McCarthy could find another Premiership team a lot easier than Clark. So in the interest of both players operating in the top flight, I would suggest Wigan are the better relegation option, from a Hiberno-centric perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Wigan to stay up. If they can actually hold on to their good players (Kone, McCarthy, Jordi Gomez and the mighty Figueroa) in the summer they might not have to rely on a late season surge again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sunderland
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'll preface this by noting that Wigan are where they are on merit - they've won the games to get them to the top level and keep them there which is more than fair.

However, in so many respects they don't belong in the Premiership. Their attendence levels have been poor for a very long time, and the empty seats on Saturday for a cup final were a little sad. Tremendous achievement to last as long as they have done given their fanbase and budgeting, but they absolutely would not be a loss to the top flight.

I disagree - they show what a small club can achieve and they give hope to lower league clubs that given a certain amount of investment, they will be able to compete. There's not much they can do about their fanbase seeing as they are in a town whose 1st love is rugby league and sandwiched as they are between so many "glamour" clubs in the North West. Fair play to them and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hopefully Stoke go down. Horrible to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Stoke
    Hopefully Wigan will go down, annoying chairman far to ready with a quote, about anything, and poor support for years, stadium often a quarter empty and sometimes worse. Apart from QPR who's ground doesn't really allow many more in, Wigan have the worst attendance by a distance.

At least Stoke get decent support, are part of the local community and owned by a man willing to put his hand in his pocket for his local team and is rarely on TV talking about himself. Pulis should go though, as has been said, he has spent a lot on players that haven't added anything to their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Really loving what Lambert has taken on and started to do with villa. The talented youngsters and brand of football he has introduced to the club will stand them in good stead for years to come if they persist with the model. Staying in the PL will galvanise the squad and with one or two additions they will push on and I think, become a solid midtable team next year with an exciting bunch of youths.

Wigan I like because of the kind of football they play on a shoestring budget with a really good manager. So what if the chairman likes a quote or two, he doesn't play the football on the pitch. Hope they scrape their way out yet again, they are the anti-stoke.

With such a poor run of form, and a brand of football that no longer adds anything at all to the league I hope stoke go down. I think the attempt to buy ballers as opposed to kickers and the way that the team has failed to adapt to trying to play football has resulted in Pulis being exposed for the poor manager he is.

Sunderland
    Hopefully Norwich. Totally bloodless, no character about them, they won't grow much bigger than they are now. Stoke provide a hate figure and I'd like to see how Lambert and Villa progress if they stay up. Norwich don't bring anything to the party.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Norwich were excellent last season and really surprised a few people. Admittedly they're not quite as good this year, but Lambert was always going to be a big loss for them and I'd say survival - pure and simple - was the sum of their ambition for this season.
    They do have some decent players; Hoolahan, Holt, Pilkington, Howson are all quite good. And they have beaten Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton and Swansea this season. That's not bad going in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement