Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd spot relegation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Friend's being very lenient, letting Swansea foul a lot. Doesn't excuse outrageously bad defending for 2 goals.

I can't watch anymore. That last goal was so bad it's killed my desire to continue watching

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Stoke
    Sacramento wrote: »
    A few, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal...

Is he good enough?

I wouldn't imagine he'd get near Chelsea and Arsenal and even at Liverpool I'd wonder is he an upgrade on Henderson/Allen?

Stoke
    CSF wrote: »
    Think Wigan are gone if they don't get at least a point here. The point might do them, if Newcastle don't win any of their last 2, which isn't impossible.

Yeah they really need at least a point.

Even the point would be huge - they'd likely leave themselves with a chance.

I said before that 4 points could be touch and go for them so they need to at least reach that. Therefore a point tonight is a must or they're relying on getting something against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sunderland
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Is he good enough?

I wouldn't imagine he'd get near Chelsea and Arsenal and even at Liverpool I'd wonder is he an upgrade on Henderson/Allen?

Chelsea play with Mikel, Arsenal play with Ramsey. Both are midfielders who are inferior to McCarthy in nearly any facet you can think of.

However I'd rather see him go to a team where he would be assured of a starting spot every week....Fulham maybe.

9 added minutes in the Wigan game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I can't understand why Stam didn't come back on, it's not as if he had a broken leg. He could of at least stood up front for the last 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Surely a world record for the fastest substitution ?

Is he good enough?

I'd say he'd be a good addition to Arsenal, in fact, he'd be a good addition to Man Utd. He would improve Liverpool for sure too. Chelsea I'd say will get some superstars during the summer, they always do. McCarthy isn't their type of signing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sunderland
    Stoke safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kirby wrote: »
    Chelsea play with Mikel, Arsenal play with Ramsey. Both are midfielders who are inferior to McCarthy in nearly any facet you can think of.

However I'd rather see him go to a team where he would be assured of a starting spot every week....Fulham maybe.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One step closer. Do the business in Sunday now please lads!

Stoke
    Stoke safe.

EDIT: Scratch that - wrong calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Stoke
    Take that Wigan! :D

Sunderland

You are right. Particularly that second point you made, salient doesn't even do it justice. And your concluding paragraph outlining your defense of Ramsey was pure genius.

Oh wait..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I'm surprised. I would have seen tonight as a better chance of a win that last Saturday. You can never say never with Wigan but they seem down and out. It would be typical of them however to get something against Arsenal but it's unlikely. There only hope appears to be to get above Norwich or Newcastle. All other teams would appear to be safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Norwich
    Wigan have gone to the well one too many times. That should be them done. I don't expect Arsenal to slip up against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Cheerio Wigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Norwich
    Feel sorry for Wigan tonight but that should be a mental knock out blow losing due to their own jitters.

Should make our game against them a bit easier.

Aidric wrote: »
    Wigan have gone to the well one too many times. That should be them done. I don't expect Arsenal to slip up against them.

It's not likely, I don't expect it to happen but Wigan could do themselves a double favour taking something off Arsenal. It could mean Arsenal needing to beat Newcastle on the last day. Not likely however.

QPR are full of mercenaries, Newcastle probably will get the win they need there.

Sunderland
    There is no guarantee that Newcaslte, sunderland and norwhich pick up any points at all. It's not over for Wigan yet...........

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    There is no guarantee that Newcaslte, sunderland and norwhich pick up any points at all. It's not over for Wigan yet...........
    There isn't alright. I can't see Wigan getting to more than 39 points at best. Sunderland should get at least a point next week to nudge to safety on 39. Norwich and Newcastle with draws at the weekend will not be as safe but it's asking a lot for Wigan to draw away to Arsenal and beat Villa who seem safe.

Stoke
    Now more than ever Sunderland and Southampton should consider playing out a draw on the weekend.

Surely both would be safe in that scenario.

A point would really suit both teams very nicely indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Now more than ever Sunderland and Southampton should consider playing out a draw on the weekend.

Surely both would be safe in that scenario.

A point would really suit both teams very nicely indeed.

Didn't Denmark Sweden do that in one of the World cups? Think a couple of South American teams did the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pavb2 wrote: »
    Didn't Denmark Sweden do that in one of the World cups? Think a couple of South American teams did the same

eh, I think we did it back at italia '90 , gainst holland .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Some hope for Wigan?
    posted in the Arsenal thread
    jester77 wrote: »
    So, Mike Dean will referee the Wigan game :(

Here's his record against the top 6, looks ominous for us.

article-2262230-16F02A22000005DC-219_634x171.jpg

Wigan won away to Arsenal late last season. While I can't see them getting anything next week, a shock win or even a surprise draw can't be discounted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Newcastle, Norwich and Sunderland are safe as it stands. Only Villa, and surprisingly, Fulham and Southampton can go down instead of Wigan if things stay as they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What looked to have great last day potential has turned into a disaster. Looks like everything bar 4th will already be decided by the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Norwich 3-0 :eek: West Brom gone on holiday.

• Advertisement

And Sunderland are back in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wigan won away to Arsenal late last season. While I can't see them getting anything next week, a shock win or even a surprise draw can't be discounted.

So what you're saying is you wouldn't be surprised by a surprise win?

Sunderland wouldn't want to concede another the way things are going elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Sunderland and Southampton are retarded going for a win in that game, the ramifications are far worse if they lose. Convenient draw ftw, means Wigan need a result against Arsenal which is unlikely.

Sunderland dropped from 11th to 17th from conceding that goal :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wigan now need 6 points from their last two games to survive. Looking like a very tall order now, just can't see them getting all 3 points away to Arsenal on Tuesday night.

• Advertisement

So Norwich and Newcastle are mathematically safe now.
    Wigan have to beat Arsenal on Tuesday. If they draw, only a 9 goal swing on the final day with themselves and Sunderland will see them survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So this is it. Everything has become clearer and in true Sunderland style we've blown our home games and are still in the mix.

If Arsenal beat or draw against Wigan, Wigan are gone. If Wigan beat Arsenal then a win against Villa on the final day will send us down as we are not going to get anything at Spurs so I'd rule everyone else as safe. It's Sunderland vs Wigan now.

COME ON ARSENAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

So Norwich and Newcastle are mathematically safe now.
    Wigan have to beat Arsenal on Tuesday. If they draw, only a 9 goal swing on the final day with themselves and Sunderland will see them survive.

Are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

G.K. wrote: »
    Are they?

Villa play Wigan on last day so that's correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Just realised that myself. God, revision makes me lose common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wigan are done mate. Gonzo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Delighted we saw West Brom off. Hope Wigan go down now, or Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Get Newcastle and Norwich off that mofo list :cool:

Paully D wrote: »
    So this is it. Everything has become clearer and in true Sunderland style we've blown our home games and are still in the mix.

If Arsenal beat or draw against Wigan, Wigan are gone. If Wigan beat Arsenal then a win against Villa on the final day will send us down as we are not going to get anything at Spurs so I'd rule everyone else as safe. It's Sunderland vs Wigan now.

COME ON ARSENAL!

Aree 1,000% - Sunderland have blown it. Failing to get 4 points from Stoke and Southampton, both home games, is a disaster. We can't have any complaints if we go down.

It is Sunderland vs Wigan in the relegation battle. We need Arsenal to do us a favour. Thankfully they need the win themselves to get back above Spurs and also to give themselves a chance to finish above Chelsea for third place.

Stoke
    You Sunderland lads should be rejoicing not complaining.

Safety all but confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The way results this weekend went, it all but assures Wigan of going down. On Saturday, 4 points might (just might) have done them. Now, it's 6 or nothing. They will not get 2 wins from Arsenal and Villa. One maybe. One win and a draw, again maybe. But not 2 wins.

They will go down holding the FA Cup, and they will be playing in the Europa League from the Championship next season. It was a brilliant few years for them, but it all came to a shuddering halt. The dropped points against Spurs and Swansea in the past few weeks have truly haunted them. Had they won both of those games, they'd be on 40 points. They surrendered leads in both games to go from winning both to drawing in one and losing the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Norwich
    jem wrote: »
    Did the bbc one,
    I have newcastle going down on GD by 2 goals, that is with wigan winning tonight 1-0.
    Think if they dont they are gone.

Did say that if Wigan didnt beat Swansee they would go down, looks like I am right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If Wigan had have beaten Swansea it would have been absolute carnage on the final day!!

SantryRed wrote: »
    If Wigan had have beaten Swansea it would have been absolute carnage on the final day!!

True I guess. It was a bad game for them to lose. Still in 10 years they'll remember winning the cup more. I won't write them off just yet though. They did beat Arsenal last year and pulled off a few scalps. Again at the same time, they've dug themselves an awful hole gifting Spurs a point and the losing a must win game to Swansea.

Stoke
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That is the goal you concede when you simply aren't very good.

Same again for Wigan.

Very difficult to stay in the league when you leak those type of goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement