Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd spot relegation ?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Stoke
    Wigan's relegation all but confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are no surprises here. It was crystal clear they were getting relegated about 10 games ago. No sympathy. They had a brilliant, brilliant run in the top flight nicely bookended with Saturday's win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gonna be the worst last day of the season ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We were spoiled the last two years!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Stoke
    Thank god I'm watching this on Sky+, gonna keep watching this over and over! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Aston Villa
    I'm gonna miss Wigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm gonna miss Wigan

You and dozens of people all over the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stoke
    I'm gonna miss Wigan
    I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm gonna miss Wigan

Me too im quiet sad really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Stoke

Race for 4th still on I suppose at least. Arsenal have a slightly trickier match than Spurs so a bit of interest there. Though I wouldn't hold my breath as a Spurs fan.

But yeah very uninteresting end to the season.

Wigan's best hope was that Villa would stumble a bit but 2 massive wins for them meant it was always going to be a very difficult uphill battle for them.

Can't say I'll miss Wigan and Dave Whelan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'll miss Wigan too. They play the game in the right way, very positive. I think Martinez with better players at his disposal will be very successful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sunderland
    I'd say Wigan's fan is very upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Don't really care about Wigan, except for James McCarthy but he'll be gone during the summer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

So now, there is only the fight between Spurs and Arsenal for 4th now.

No relegation battle now. All other teams now safe.

Goodnight, sweet prince for Wigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Stoke
    Kinda sad they won the FA cup and get relegated 3 days later. They were brave but when your fighting 3 season's on the trot trying to avoid the drop, ya gotta go down eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Tough on Wigan. Still, 10 years from now they'll be looking back upon a cup success. Championship football is not the end of the world. Sky of course big it up. Football is supposed to be about winning trophies. Wigan have my respect for going and doing that.

Outside the top 7, there isn't a whole lot between many teams. West Brom and Swansea had good seasons but can't exactly take anything for granted. No club outside the top 7 is showing any sign of breaking into that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Swansea and Newcastle (Provided Pardew is replaced) the most likely, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone below Liverpool are vulnerable next year.

If I was to take a guess now I'd say Stoke, Hull and Watford/Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm sad to see Wigan go down. They played good football and did brilliant in the cup final.

I think they will struggle to get back into the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

If Wigan lose Martinez, McCarthy and Maloney I can see them struggling big time next season unless they spend the parachute payments wisely and get a good manager in too. Hopefully they make some good choices, sad to see them go personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Sad to see them go. To be fair their fans will always have the Cup win which is more important than barely surviving each year. Best of luck to them in the Europa, they will enjoy the European experience. Will not be easy to get back up, some top teams in the league who are better set to mount a promotion push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm sad to see Wigan go down. They played good football and did brilliant in the cup final.

I think they will struggle to get back into the division.

You would imagine they will lose a few of their key players,

Looking at the 3 clubs who got relegated last season, Wolves have gone down again, Blackburn were in that same mix with 2 games to go, and a late resurgence by Bolton under Freedman still failed to get them a play off spot.

The Championship has a heap of "Big" clubs in its ranks. I'm not saying Wigan won't come straight back up, but gone are the days of the Yo-Yo clubs that constantly went down and back up.

There are so many down there with a chance of promotion, and outside of that chance you thread a fine line as Wolves have found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Whelan as chairman makes some good calls. I'd see them as being stable enough to push for a play-off place next season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm absolutely delighted we managed to stay up. Disgraceful that with the money we've spent over the years and the players we have had at the club at one stage or another since promotion in 2007 that we still manage to outdo ourselves by being consistently ****, but at least we've stayed up in perhaps the most important year to do so with the new TV deal coming in.

I'll miss Wigan and I'm sorry to see them go to. Any other teams involved apart from mine and I'd be cheering for them to stay in the league. It's a great away day for one, and another northern team has gone unfortunately. For a club the size of Wigan to stay in the league for 8 years is a huge achievement, and I'm glad Whelan and their fans have the cup to celebrate. That said, I would have to raise the question, is Martinez being overrated? Yes, they've won the cup but overall he has a win percentage of less than 30% and managers like Steve Bruce and Paul Jewell have achieved higher placed finishes with them. I guess we might get to find out if rumours of him getting the Everton job prove to be correct.

Advertisement