Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballad/rebel session on Thursday nights?.

Options
  • 14-04-2013 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Hey forum, I'll be up in Dundalk in May and wondering is there a decent ballad session about the town on Thursday nights?.

I'm only there for the one night so its got to be Thursday, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rebel session?????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The auld rebel scene isn't as big as you'd imagine on the border OP. You'll generally find some music on in the spirit store www.spiritstore.ie and a very nice different venue to what you'd be used to.

Usually Trad nights are Friday / Saturday but I am open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MugMugs wrote: »
    The auld rebel scene isn't as big as you'd imagine on the border OP. You'll generally find some music on in the spirit store www.spiritstore.ie and a very nice different venue to what you'd be used to.

Usually Trad nights are Friday / Saturday but I am open to correction.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Don't know of any Trad nights on a Thursday and would know a fair few pubs. Trad seems to usually be on a Sunday evening.

If I hear anything I'll update the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Looks like people have an impression that every pub in 'El Paso' is rammed to the rafters every night with people singing "you black and tans", "my little armalite" and "ballad of Mairead Farrell" till the wee small hours.

Whereas the truth is that I, a Dundalk native, had to search Wikipedia to find the names of 3 rebel songs to include in this post!

• Advertisement

I don't believe any offence was meant LM nor was a stereotype being raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to disagree. Rebel session for goodness sake! I certainly felt it was stereotypical, but perhaps the OP might explain.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Guys, give it a rest. The OP asked a simple question, there is nothing wrong with what he asked. Rebel music is a genre of music, just like techno, indie or death metal. If its not to your taste, then hold your breath, count to ten and click the back button on your browser.

There is absolutely no need to derail the thread.

I do think the OP was asking because of the stereotype, but I don't think any offence was meant, simply because the OP can't concieve of the fact that some people might be offended.

OP, please accept my apologies for derailing your thread.

• Advertisement

Anyway...was walking by The Phoenix on Park St. yesterday evening and they had a sign up for Trad sessions on a Thursday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

petes wrote: »
    Anyway...was walking by The Phoenix on Park St. yesterday evening and they had a sign up for Trad sessions on a Thursday night!
    doubt there would be nay rebel songs in the phoenix. are poitin still knocking about they were always a good night

johnnydeep wrote: »
    doubt there would be nay rebel songs in the phoenix. are poitin still knocking about they were always a good night

I think a Trad session is the best that the OP can expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Session?? On a Thursday??

I don't know Dundalk but if it's anything like Drogheda you'll be doing well to find a pub open on a Thursday night let alone a session of any description.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Session?? On a Thursday??

I don't know Dundalk but if it's anything like Drogheda you'll be doing well to find a pub open on a Thursday night let alone a session of any description.

To be fair, Dundalk has the added benefit of DKIT over Drogheda which means that Thursday night (whilst maybe not wholly favourable to non students) has quite a good scene of a Thursday evening.

Notwithstanding that, there's also a few locals that are quite pleasant for a quiet pint of a Thursday too.

*starts Dundalk -vs- Drogheda over who can drink more* :pac:

T
    *starts Dundalk -vs- Drogheda over who can drink more* :pac:

We can :pac: *

*Even though I'm not from the town, I consider myself more than a blow in!!

Advertisement