Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Pollution - Stargazing

Options
  • 14-04-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to do some stargazing during the summer months.

Where would be a good place to do this, somewhere with limited light pollution.

Im currently living in Lucan, Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I daresay there are lots of good dark sky areas in Ireland but I haven't seen any better than Donegal.I moved out here from Belfast mostly for the dark skies

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to do some stargazing during the summer months.

Where would be a good place to do this, somewhere with limited light pollution.

Im currently living in Lucan, Dublin

Check some older thread, I think the Dublin astronomers regularly visit Sugarloaf in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

The Dublin Stargazers meet at the Sugarloaf, Portmarnock and in Trooperstown.

The next meetup is on the 27th April in Portmarnock.

Trooperstown is quite good for somewhere closeish to Dublin.

Stargazing sessions are sometimes organised on www.irishastronomy.org.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

I suppose it also depends on where/what in the sky you want to observe. Better to have the light pollution behind you when you're observing. SO if you were observing something in the southern sky then you wouldn't observe across the city lights of Dublin for example. It's surprising what you can see in the sky even in a city. Get into the shadow of a building and look up. And give you're eyes time to adjust to the relative darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

thanks for the replies all

• Advertisement
Advertisement