Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing with no thermo

Options
  • 14-04-2013 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

:mad:

Just put on my first Coopers Brew with the entire kit. Stuck the thermometer strip on the side of the fermenter and have filled up to the 20ltr mark with a combo of 17l spring water (from room temps) and 3 ltr of boiling water.

But checked the thermo just there and nothing is happening on it- I presume it should glow up to tell you the temps of the brew in the fermenter. Well mine isn't glowing anything so I can't get an accurate reading. Haven't added yeast yet till I can.

If I put the fermenter in a room that is 17-23c for an hour or two before adding the yeast I presume I'll be okay to add it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Deleted double posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RATM wrote: »
    :mad:

Just put on my first Coopers Brew with the entire kit. Stuck the thermometer strip on the side of the fermenter and have filled up to the 20ltr mark with a combo of 17l spring water (from room temps) and 3 ltr of boiling water.

But checked the thermo just there and nothing is happening on it- I presume it should glow up to tell you the temps of the brew in the fermenter. Well mine isn't glowing anything so I can't get an accurate reading. Haven't added yeast yet till I can.

If I put the fermenter in a room that is 17-23c for an hour or two before adding the yeast I presume I'll be okay to add it ?

Mmmm tricky one there, I'm terrible at following a recipe myself but by my estimations 17 room temp + 3 boiling should be good...another measurement Ive used is to stand in the room in a t-shirt, if it doesn't feel cold at all then it's about 20°, if there's a little bite but you could easily potter about itd be about 17°.if you feel like you should not be in your t-shirt then it's defo below 15°

...I'd say lash it in now (assuming you've aerated the hell out of it with you paddle!) and throw a sleeping bag around it , maybe about 12 pm put a hot water bottle up against it (if you start to feel a chill in the t-shirt)..this should get things going.if it works it should start generating it's own bit if heat within a day our so...(then you can put on a jumper)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Went ahead and added the yeast as I found a thermo in the drawer. The room is at 23c so the brew should be more or less the same. Must get myself a water proof thermo to replace those useless strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I find if you rub the strip a few times with your finger it 'recharges' the strip.

Advertisement