Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made garden pond from Horse through

Options
  • 14-04-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

So today while in a car boot sale I came across a shubunkin in a small bowl felt sorry for him so brought him home and put him in a spare 60ltr tank I have.

I know this is not ideal eitheir so I was thinking I have a horse through connected to a shed in my back garden and I was thinking maybe I could make a pond out of this it is about 3 foot high and 5 foot wide so pretty big.

But my question is can this be done and if so what would I need
    example would I need a special filter etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If it's metal, it wouldn't be ideal as it could leach back into the water and wouldn't be good in the longer term. Plastic would be better. You could also line it with pond liner. It wouldn't be expensive to do something of that size.

It would need to be filtered. Pond filters are expensive items. The pump and the filter units are separate. The pump sits under the water and the filter outside the pond. Lidl or Aldi have them from time to time so it would be worth keeping an eye on them as they're more likely to have them this time of year coming into pond season. Otherwise you could look for something second-hand on Adverts or Donedeal.

Make sure you also put a net over it to keep predators at bay. I learned the hard way when a heron nearly cleaned out my pond after the first week of stocking it.

As you said, A 60l tank isn't ideal, but it's way better than 99% of goldfish will ever experience unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

It is actually made of concrete looks a bit similar to this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5QEdjPJH8-C5uGKiOMHdQk9mw0Eb85EqxxEUQyOCgZdggJX4V

Was planning on using a pond liner for it and net
    cheers for the tip on filter and pump will check adverts now.

Oh and it is a troff not a through sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

Trough!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I have a small trough similar to this which had a small hole in the bottom. Its approx 110ltrs.

I just have a UV filter pump in it similar to the all-in-one hozelock systems. I find it keeps the water clear and cycles the water very well. In the future I would opt for an external filter (even just for upkeep). You trough is bigger and will benefit from a good filter unit.

I used aquarium silicone to thread the cables through the hole and to seal it.
    I did not line the sides with lining, I like the natural look. Gravel and some pond soil in the base. Pond weed all year and lillies in summer. Plants are a great shelter from the sun. Have 3 fish which have grown massive over the last few years, never need to be fed as the system is almost maintenance free. Very happy. Troughs are great, even for a small garden.

Also, I used concrete slabs to keep in about 15cms off the ground, which helps it from freezing in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

kaerobe wrote: »
    Gravel and some pond soil in the base. Pond weed all year and lillies in summer. Plants are a great shelter from the sun.

What kind of lily do you have? I'm looking for a small-ish one as I have a tank outside and want some nice flowering plants for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement