Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are nails wear and tear?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 9:26pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's people's opinions on this?

Situation is guy moves in late 2012, just after the house has been internally insulated. Was asked not to put up nails as the walls have literally just been installed (he denies hearing this, nothing in writing). Now walls have big bails, with holes obviously.

Chalk is down to experience and write everything down next time? Or can this constitute damage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Im no expert but wear and tear would be a scuff mark on the paint work or dirty carpets.

Nail holes in a wall is avoidable damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No way is that wear and tear, whether the client was told about the insulation or not.

Either he makes good the damage or he loses his deposit to do the repairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

it is not wear and tear but he has the right to. put it right. give him the optionof repairing same and he does not repair, get it repaired and deductl cost of repair

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thank you all for your input! Now to deal with the housemate with the fan heater addiction....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

good luck with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd rather deal with the hammer-happy nail guy than the housemate with the heating/electricity junkie - best of luck!

And I'm with the others on nails being over and above normal wear and tear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

convert wrote: »
    I'd rather deal with the hammer-happy nail guy than the housemate with the heating/electricity junkie - best of luck!

And I'm with the others on nails being over and above normal wear and tear.

Any idea how I should deal with it?? Our bills are ridiculous. €270 is a good bill for a small bungalow with no TV/dishwasher/tumble dryer. Our only big expense is her heater. I really want to ask her to move out. I get blasted with heat any time her bedroom door is open. I tried to talk about it today and she blamed the nail guy for being home all day. Even though he at most would use a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I live in a small bungalow without a TV/dishwasher, and even running an electric fencer for about 20 acres and a tumble dryer (about twice a week), and having lights on 24/7 (night light) and using a laptop quite a bit, my bill still doesn't reach 200 euro per 2 months!

Is she using a heater in her room, or does she just have the heating on constantly? If it's the former, then you could try suggesting that she has to pay extra because she's running something that uses a lot of power and it's only for her benefit. It may also be an idea to show her the dial on the meter to give an indication of how many units it actually uses. If she's just boosting the heating, ask her if she'll pay extra each time she uses it - and that it's impacting negatively on you and your housemate because the house is too warm.

That said, we tried that with our power junkie, and we were accused of bullying her and that it was her 'right' to have the house as hot as she wanted - of course, we had no 'right' to having the house at a regular temperature :rolleyes: She refused to pay any extra, continued to boost the heating or leave it on constantly, and actually stopped paying bills/rent altogether (thankfully bills were in landlord's name), but eventually moved out a few months later....

Depending on your type of accommodation (rented v owned; who signed the lease, etc.) I would seriously consider asking her to move out as people like her never see anything wrong with what they're doing and don't think it's fair that they should have to contribute more to the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dory wrote: »
    Any idea how I should deal with it?? Our bills are ridiculous. €270 is a good bill for a small bungalow with no TV/dishwasher/tumble dryer. Our only big expense is her heater. I really want to ask her to move out. I get blasted with heat any time her bedroom door is open. I tried to talk about it today and she blamed the nail guy for being home all day. Even though he at most would use a laptop.

Explain to her that fan heaters are just about the most energy draining appliance you can run, and that while she is more than welcome to use one if she wishes, she will be paying proportionally more of the electric bill to cover it. If she doesn't like that then tell her that her choices are to lose the heater or move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Simpler get one of the socket adaptors that tells you how much power the appliance is using. Let her see the cost of running it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement