Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont vs Munster buildup thread **read post one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Munster by more than 10
    That's a blow, although probably expected. Doubts still over Earls and POM.

Assuming everyone else is fit:
    Killer, Sherry, Botha, D Ryan, POC, POM, TOD, Coughlan;
    Murray, ROG, Zebo, Downey, Laulala, Zebo, Jones

Varley, du Preez, J Ryan, Holland, Butler, Sheridan, Keatley, Hurley

Zebo is some player.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Munster by more than 10
    ssaye wrote: »
    Sinéad Kissane ‏@sineadkissane 1h Doug Howlett & Donncha O'Callaghan ruled out of Munster's H Cup semi. Munster waiting on fitness of Keith Earls & Peter O'Mahony

Hopefully POM will make it. All the others it was sort of expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

POM would be a huge loss. Hopefully no more for you

#rugbyunited

Plus Dublin would be mental that weekend if both finals are Irish teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

who_me wrote: »
    Zebo is some player.... ;)

Well he appears everywhere during a game, don't see why he can't play on both wings. Bit of a nightmare for the jersey makers though.

According to a regional newspaper Brock James trained today. Rougerie, Nalaga and Skrela took no part.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    Seems like this semi could be ruined with injuries. At least will be balance itself out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Doing media doesn't always mean you will play but you never know

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/326695745853980672/photo/1

It's very possible we've seen the last of Howlett in a Munster jersey. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

It's very possible we've seen the last of Howlett in a Munster jersey. :(

It's possible, I am surprised that no announcement has been made either way on his future, surely a decision has been made by now

Munster by more than 10
    V good signing, shrewd Kidney. Poor decision making him captain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

That's a blow, although probably expected. Doubts still over Earls and POM.

Assuming everyone else is fit:
    Killer, Sherry, Botha, D Ryan, POC, POM, TOD, Coughlan;
    Murray, ROG, Earls, Downey, Laulala, Zebo, Jones

Varley, du Preez, J Ryan, Holland, Butler, Sheridan, Keatley, Hurley

Not a bench for impact - to be used in emergencies only.

Digby Ioane is available, any chance he'd like to try & fill Dougie's boots?

Lelantos wrote: »
    Digby Ioane is available, any chance he'd like to try & fill Dougie's boots?

Haven't seen him play for a while but definitely a great player on form.He'll be 28 in July so we'd be getting him in his prime. Would he give up his Wallaby career though? I can envisage him going to Japan and then coming back to Oz afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Id say he would be looking for mega bucks, and will end up in Japan/France.

Haven't seen him play for a while but definitely a great player on form.He'll be 28 in July so we'd be getting him in his prime. Would he give up his Wallaby career though? I can envisage him going to Japan and then coming back to Oz afterwards.
    Something isn't quite right there, McKenzie said he was going nowhere, then Ioane came out & said he was off, he couldn't trust anyone & has to look after himself financially. So France or Japan may be more appealing financially, but maybe an English speaking country with great weather holds an appeal to him too :)

Munster by more than 10
    Just as I had thought, Clermont won't be underestimating us:

A year ago they left it to late as Leinster edged them out 19-15 in Bordeaux and Bonnaire insists they have taken events from that day on board as they target a first final appearance.
    "We made a few mistakes in defence that we could have avoided," admitted Bonnaire, who has managed something not even the likes of Wesley Fofana or Sitiveni Sivivatu have achieved in collecting three back-to-back Heineken man of the match awards against the Scarlets, Exeter Chiefs and Leinster.
    "We will have to be better and try to not be behind by one point two minutes from the end of the game. On that exact point we still lacked a bit of experience and we must be more constant during 80 minutes.
    "And I don't see us as being big favourites for this game - Munster also have a pretty good side - and in these kind of knock-out games it's always 50/50.
    "We will probably have more fans in the stadium but their fans travel a lot and we fully expect a huge battle with massive desire. I think we have the team to reach the final and since the start of the season we have been able to make beautiful performances and prove it."
    It will be Clermont's 15th tournament clash with an Irish team - eight against Leinster, two against Ulster Rugby and four previous contests against Munster - and Bonnaire is wary of their never-say-die attitude.
    "We often play Irish teams so we can better study their strategies," he said. "All Irish teams play the same kind of game and they're always hard to beat because of their high level of determination.
    "We will have to be patient to build a victory and be strong on the basics. We know they are very strong in the front lines and if we cannot match them in this area it will be tough.
    "There is a very healthy concurrence between all the players. We all get along very well and you can see that out on the pitch. And, unlike previous years, we do not have injuries to key players and that has helped us to be mentally and physically fresh."

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clermont by 1-10
    To be fair, I've never seen a team talk down their opposition in a press conference.

"Aye, that Munster side will be grand. Should beat them handy enough".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster by more than 10
    The more I read coming from the Clermont camp, the more you can see they really believe that this is their year. Real belief and skill to back it up are hard things to beat.

Munster by more than 10
    The more I read coming from the Clermont camp, the more you can see they really believe that this is their year. Real belief and skill to back it up are hard things to beat.

No doubt about that, but at the same time we've nothing to lose. Few expect us to win, and fewer thought we'd even get to the semi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clermont by 1-10
    Rightwing wrote: »
    No doubt about that, but at the same time we've nothing to lose. Few expect us to win, and fewer thought we'd even get to the semi.

I doubt fewer people thought Munster would beat Quins then will beat Clermont.

I'm unsure whether bad weather is better for Munster or not. The Clermont backs can obviously cut loose in good conditions but the team is quite big and physical too.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    Podge_irl wrote: »

I'm unsure whether bad weather is better for Munster or not. The Clermont backs can obviously cut loose in good conditions but the team is quite big and physical too.

I mean a few months back, was looking like we wouldn't even get out of the group.

I agree about weather, not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Munster by more than 10

Clermont are unquestionably a better team than Quins, but equally our form before the Quins game was dire. Our two previous away games were hammerings by Glasgow and Treviso; and even more worringly was some of the headless rugby we were playing.

Clermont is the bigger mountain to climb, but after the QF there's a faint hope Munster have found some form again and can at least put in a performance. Before the QF you really didn't know what would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster by more than 10

Don't get me wrong, we'll still have the beating of them :D

Munster by more than 10
    Don't get me wrong, we'll still have the beating of them :D

Fair play, so many doom and gloomers around you'd think we shouldn't even turn up.

A prediction competition, let's see who is closest, i'll keep a record of them.

I'll go: 19-23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Clermont by 1-10
    I just thought of this...

Clermont by 1-10
    Sorry if its extremely tasteless, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'll be very much rooting for Munster!

Munster by more than 10
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Sorry if its extremely tasteless, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'll be very much rooting for Munster!

Bit of humour is no harm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Fair play, so many doom and gloomers around you'd think we shouldn't even turn up.

A prediction competition, let's see who is closest, i'll keep a record of them.

I'll go: 19-23

I'll go:
    Clermont 18 - 19 Munster

25-6 in favour of Clermont

but the Munster performance will be better than the scoreline suggests. I don't see where Munster are going to score tries and that will ultimately be their downfall. I can see them hanging in for 50/60 minutes but Clermont's strength of replacements will tell and they'll get 8-10 points towards the end to give the scoreline a lop-sided look.

I'd love to be hopelessly wrong but I honestly can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster by 1-10
    My guess is Clermont by 7-10. I don't think they're going to rip Munster to shreds but I just can't see Munster winning it.

Clermont by 1-10
    I think Clermont by about 8, but I think they'll be in control for most of the game.

Munster by more than 10
    I think Clermont by about 8, but I think they'll be in control for most of the game.

Put down the exact score - may include a prize for the winner (if it's munster!)

rightwing: 19-23
    mrpdap: 18-19
    thomond2006: 25-06
    podge_irl: 23-16

Clermont by 1-10
    Lets say Clermont 23-16 Munster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had €50 on them :)

I've just put another €50 on them now, 6/1 are seriously great odds.

My reasons for the bet are
    • Great odds
    • Once off rugby
    • Clermont coming off a big game last weekend
    • Rougerie and James massive losses
    • Breakdown is completely different in HEC and T14
    • Rabo Ref which means breakdown will suit us
    • Blind faith :)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clermont by 1-10
    Clermont 25 - 12 Munster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

19-14 to Munster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Howlett and DOC out. :( Is Rougerie and James defo out? I really was hoping that we'd have two full strength sides competing.

Come to think of it, it was a miracle that both Leinster and Clermont had full strength sides in the semi last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Howlett a massive loss on the wing in terms of defence . Is Earls fit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Howlett a massive loss on the wing in terms of defence . Is Earls fit ?

He trained so hopefully he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Head says Clermont, but as an AB supporter well used to unpleasant surprises in knockout tournaments, there's no reason Munster can't win. If they let Clermont get an early lead, though, I'd say it's game over. Stifling defence, frenetic breakdown work, and taking any points on offer should be the order of the day for Munster.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    .ak wrote: »
    Howlett and DOC out. :( Is Rougerie and James defo out? I really was hoping that we'd have two full strength sides competing.

Come to think of it, it was a miracle that both Leinster and Clermont had full strength sides in the semi last year.

Not confirmed yet, but hope they are now, like yourself I too was hoping for 2 fully fit squads.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Head says Clermont, but as an AB supporter well used to unpleasant surprises in knockout tournaments, there's no reason Munster can't win. If they let Clermont get an early lead, though, I'd say it's game over. Stifling defence, frenetic breakdown work, and taking any points on offer should be the order of the day for Munster.

I have images of ROG knocking over everything . No pressure on Munster , Clermonts game to lose

Munster by more than 10
    Guess the exact score, and we'll see who is closest. 4-4 so far:

rightwing: 19-23
    mrpdap: 18-19
    thomond2006: 25-06
    podge_irl: 23-16
    awec: 25-12
    clareman: 14-19
    schools rugby 18-19
    grimebox: 36-9

18-19 - Munster to edge it

Clermont by 1-10
    36-9...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

if pom is missing, who should we stick in there? stander would be ideal but we cant...it really is important that earls and pom make it or we'll have to play denis hurley on sivivatu and butler in a backrow that looks vulnerable at this level

donfers wrote: »
    if pom is missing, who should we stick in there? stander would be ideal but we cant...it really is important that earls and pom make it or we'll have to play denis hurley on sivivatu and butler in a backrow that looks vulnerable at this level

If POM is out then Butler is next in line. DOCII would probably come onto the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Munster by more than 10
    Munster by 2, CA to get a case of the YIPS when they discover they are not at home and there is a f uck load of RED in the stadium . :pac: Cuddy to get a yellow or Red, and Byrne to drop balls all day .

Munster by more than 10
    duckysauce wrote: »
    Munster by 2, CA to get a case of the YIPS when they discover they are not at home and there is a f uck load of RED in the stadium . :pac: Cuddy to get a yellow or Red, and Byrne to drop balls all day .

Put all that down on an accum & and you'll get some odds :)

what's your exact scoreline forecast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Clermont by 1-10
    39-16..... sorry lads, I'm rooting for you but Clermont are just so good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement