Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont vs Munster buildup thread **read post one

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lelantos wrote: »
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day

touché!

Vosloo has also been ruled out, a potential backrow now is Bonnaire, Lapandry and Chouly. Vosloo is an excellent player, Lapandry is more of a traditional openside IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Clermont by 1-10
    Best of luck, Munster. Really rooting for ye....we were considered really up against it in Bordeaux last year and look what happened - we're tearing home from the RDS to scream at telly. G'wan Munster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont by 1-10
    Vosloo is a big loss, Lapandry is excellent but doesn't have the same physicality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Vosloo has also been ruled out, a potential backrow now is Bonnaire, Lapandry and Chouly. Vosloo is an excellent player, Lapandry is more of a traditional openside IIRC.

I'm not sure if people realise what a massive boost that is. Vosloo is someone like Jennings. When he performs, Clermont perform. Vosloo is a more powerful and canny operator than Lapandry who is a more willowy type; he's a good line out option but a little light and I don't think he's suited to the all out madness that this game will be in the trenches whilst Vosloo would relish it.

With Chouly having been carrying a knock all week their back row is looking a lot less dominant all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Vosloo out is massive. The ASM fans I've talked to reckon he's their SOB actually. When Clermont were stuttering in the first few against Montpellier in the Q4 he grabbed the game by the scruff and literally turned it upside down and shook it like a bully would fishing for loose change of his victim.

I had a dream last night that Munster would win. If they do, you can all buy me a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

.ak wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that Munster would win. If they do, you can all buy me a pint.

F*ck the pint. You can have a nice bottle of 12 year old Glenfiddich on me if Munster win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Keith Earls is fit & expected to start.

The balance is tipping in Munster's favour...

• Advertisement

P.S I'm obviously clairvoyant.

To get the juices flowing...

glenfiddich_12yo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Keith Earls is fit & expected to start.

Interesting. Earls has often struggled against big, physical wingers in the past. With his lack of game time, I genuinely wonder if it's the right call as he cannot be match fit. He's a great winger but Nalaga/Sivivatu would have no qualms about running right down his throat. Malzieu had great success with it previously so it won't be an untested tactic for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 12m
    MunXV:Jones; Earls,Laulala,Downey, Zebo;ROG, Murray;Kilcoyne,Sherry,Botha;D Ryan,POC capt; O’Mahony,O’Donnell, Coughlan.#MarchToMontpellier

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 11m
    Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley, J Murphy. #MarchToMontpellier

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    MunXV:Jones; Earls,Laulala,Downey, Zebo;ROG, Murray;Kilcoyne,Sherry,Botha;D Ryan,POC capt; O’Mahony,O’Donnell, Coughlan.#MarchToMontpellier

Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley, J Murphy. #MarchToMontpellier

As expected I think, now start a match thread someone!

Sabre0001 wrote: »

A 24-man squad?

Anyway, a big ask if John Ryan is asked to participate in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Clermont by 1-10
    Otacon wrote: »
    A 24-man squad?

Anyway, a big ask if John Ryan is asked to participate in any way.

Probably there is doubts about someone's fitness (possibly earls) so an extra was named.

Will this be Earls first start at 14?

When we win this game, will ROG be mentioned as a bolter for the Lions?

When we win this game, will ROG be mentioned as a bolter for the Lions?

Let me sleep on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Clermont by 1-10
    Probably the last chance I'll be on here till kick-off. Best of luck lads, I'll be rooting for ya

• Advertisement

Munster:
    F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; R O’Gara, C Murray;
    D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D Ryan, P O’Connell capt; P O’Mahony, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan.

Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley.

with DOCII and Johne Murphy travelling as cover.

Great to see Earls back!

Good team, weak bench, Munster must win it within the first 60 or else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Clermont team from: http://www.asm-rugby.com/130426-composition-asm.html

1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili , 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire ©, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne. Substitutes: 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci or thomas.

No Rougerie, King in for him.

Few injuries for them aswell, though still a strong 22.

Bardy is a big tough, physical fcuker so won't take too much away, but Vosloo is a loss.

As expected I think, now start a match thread someone!

Just writing one now, should be done by 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont by 1-10
    1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili , 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire ©, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne. Substitutes: 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci or thomas Skrela.

FYP there.

Bardy's propensity to give away penalties might be exploited by Munster.

Strikes me that that Clermont team is slightly lacking that unquantifiable term 'leadership'?

Only Hines and Bonnaire I would particularly class as leaders, and particularly in the backs, where Parra can be flaky and James too, Rougerie is a big loss.

King is experienced, and will need to step up.

Has he played much for them this season does anyone know?

FYP there.

Bardy's propensity to give away penalties might be exploited by Munster.

Ah, was wondering who Thomas was! Good old Google translate strikes again!

Bonnaire is the cornerstone to that team. If he plays well, the rest will follow. Can't remember who the nominated European players of the year are, but if Bonnaire is on the short list I'd be nominating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster by more than 10
    Strikes me that that Clermont team is slightly lacking that unquantifiable term 'leadership'?

Only Hines and Bonnaire I would particularly class as leaders, and particularly in the backs, where Parra can be flaky and James too, Rougerie is a big loss.

King is experienced, and will need to step up.

Has he played much for them this season does anyone know?

This has got very interesting. I think Munster are a more balanced XV than ASM, if the totems play well and dont let the likes of Bonnaire and James into the game then it could be a momentum thing. Cudmore and Hines will probably get themselves in trouble at some point, Im expecting a hugely physical game from Downey, he loves a good battle royal

I hate to admit it but Im dying to flee the RDS tomorrow (with the result in the bag) and get a good perch for this one. Fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster by 1-10
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    This has got very interesting. I think Munster are a more balanced XV than ASM, if the totems play well and dont let the likes of Bonnaire and James into the game then it could be a momentum thing. Cudmore and Hines will probably get themselves in trouble at some point, Im expecting a hugely physical game from Downey, he loves a good battle royal

I hate to admit it but Im dying to flee the RDS tomorrow (with the result in the bag) and get a good perch for this one. Fascinating.

I don't know. Looking at those line-ups I think Clermont have the edge pretty much everywhere except the second row. And they most certainly have the edge on the bench. The difference in the second rows isn't huge either. I can't see Munster dominating the line-out like they did against Quins. What platform is going to get them the scores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster by more than 10
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't know. Looking at those line-ups I think Clermont have the edge pretty much everywhere except the second row. And they most certainly have the edge on the bench. The difference in the second rows isn't huge either. I can't see Munster dominating the line-out like they did against Quins. What platform is going to get them the scores?

Agree with all that certainly, I even think Clermont have the edge in 9 out of the 15 positions, theres just something about the balance of Munster on paper that I like, less disturbance to their natural shape perhaps.

Platform wise I dont think they will boss the scrums, I think they will get 50/50 on the lineouts, I think O'Gara and Murray have it in them to pin them back in ways they are not used to and give them good positions to phase cleverly in the Clermont half, and to make the most of indiscipline by Clermont. However I think Munster could give them a huge shock in the dark arts at the ruck. Beyond that a titanic defence and a bit of good luck! Wouldnt be the first time..........

Match day thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement