Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont vs Munster buildup thread **read post one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Munster by more than 10
    Teferi wrote: »
    You ability to read only what you want to read is impressive.

Most people weren't arguing anything less than a clumsy challenge. This does not mean it wasn't reckless and showed a complete lack of his duty of care.

I let the professionals decide these matters. It's easy for armchair punters to be shouting this and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This will be close.

The good thing about Munster being such underdogs is that you know they'll at least turn up on the day.

Claremont to win provided their nerve holds and they let their quality show.

It's there to be bottled though. Pity it's in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Rightwing wrote: »
    I let the professionals decide these matters. It's easy for armchair punters to be shouting this and that.

Ah yes, the "but shure isn't everyone on de internet only gob****es" defence.

Evidence of how weak your argument is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Munster by more than 10
    If the reports that POC is not to be cited turn out to be accurate, Munster will have been handed a massive and grossly unfair boost. I think I'm going to find myself cheering for Clermont.

Off with ya then, hear its lovely down them parts this time of year

Munster by more than 10

Well when I read that 'Munster have been handed a massively unfair and gross advantage and they'll be shouting for Clermont' on the back of that, I do come to the conclusion that there is truth in that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Clermont by 1-10

if you read the rules, and watch the replays

things dont really add up

there are external factors coming into play here that got him off, thats the gripe i have anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont by 1-10
    Well when I read that 'Munster have been handed a massively unfair and gross advantage and they'll be shouting for Clermont' on the back of that, I do come to the conclusion that there is truth in that.

Actually, it was "a massive and grossly unfair boost."

Is it a massive boost? Yes. Grossly unfair? Yes.

TBH it's been the reaction of many of the Munster fans on boards to the O'Connell incident that has left more of a sour taste than the incident itself.

Allez les jaunards!

Munster by more than 10
    Actually, it was "a massive and grossly unfair boost."

Is it a massive boost? Yes. Grossly unfair? Yes.

TBH it's been the reaction of many of the Munster fans on boards to the O'Connell incident that has left more of a sour taste than the incident itself.

Allez les jaunards!

Massive boost - yes.
    Grossly unfair - no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

To be fair there has been a lot of nonsense about POC spouted all over these boards and a lot of insinuation that he didn't care whether he injured DK etc, which is patently rubbish. Given that relatively few posters have treated the matter in a calm and reasoned manner, it's not totally surprising that someone would disregard the opinions of forumites en mass.

For what it's worth I believe he should have been cited and faced something approaching the six week ban that was meted out to John Hayes for a not too dissimilar incident a number of years ago.

With that said I don't think that conclusion is obvious, unproblematic, or as straight forward as some posters seem to believe. The citing and disciplinary processes aren't as simple as: someone caused an ugly injury, quick bring the banhammer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

POC is lucky imho. Great that he's available for the semi-final but there should at least have been a hearing. The differing opinions on here about the incident back that up. POC should at least been requested to explain his actions in a formal setting, had he then not been suspended following a hearing I think people would be more accepting. As it is, I disagree with what's happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Another thread about to go up in smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Clermont by 1-10
    We need a dedicated "POC-gate" thread to prevent this one from being poisoned too

phog wrote: »

Do you have to judge everything phog? If you don't like a post, just report it.

Munster by more than 10
    phog wrote: »

Just wait to see the freaking out that will happen if we manage to win the game

twinytwo wrote: »

Jackass will close his account! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

win the game with a POC dropgoal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

POC is playing. Get over it. This thread isn't for debating the incident and if it was citable or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster by more than 10
    This game can't come quick enough. Already feeling it in my stomach. I'll be a nervous wreak in a couple of weeks :p

This game can't come quick enough. Already feeling it in my stomach. I'll be a nervous wreak in a couple of weeks :p

Nothing like being a supporter of a team who will be written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Munster by 1-10
    I think Munster will turn up with a big performance...but calling this is tough, it will be a close 2-3 win for Munster or a close loss by the same margin.

Going for a Munster win and Zebo, POC, POM and Tommy O'Donnell to be at the forefront

• Advertisement

Clermont by 1-10
    Right, back to the game so.

People have been queuing overnight in Clermont to get tickets:
    130415-billeterrie-2.jpg

You'd suspect that these are not the sort of guys to be selling them on to Munster fans... A great occasion in prospect.

Munster by more than 10

If we win it has to go down as our greatest victory in the HC ever. That said we cant afford to fall off in the last 20, similar to what happened against leinster and let them back in the game.

If we win it has to go down as our greatest victory in the HC ever.

Toulouse in 2000? I mean John Hayes got a try, a groundbreaking moment of the professional era! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Munster by 1-10
    It would be an absolutely incredible victory if Munster pull it off - like most, I can't see it happening, but it would be great if they did.

As someone said before, I've mixed feelings going into this one given the games between Leinster and Clermont in the past few years. Bit of a soft spot for Clermont and their fans. Either way, as long as it's a decent game I'll be happy, but Munster winning would be by far a more impressive victory and I'd be delighted for ye.

Best of luck lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Munster by 1-10
    Cant wait for Round 2.

331126.jpg

Ding Ding

Munster by 1-10
    Cudmore to get a yellow must be short enough odds

i fancy O'Connell to get the boot in. oops

Clermont by 1-10
    Toulouse in 2000? I mean John Hayes got a try, a groundbreaking moment of the professional era! :P

I mean this as a compliment to the 2000 side rather than a slight on the current lads, but they were far superior to the 2013 side. And that was not a vintage Toulouse outfit.

No, if Munster pull this off, it will eclipse pretty much anything that's gone before. You could almost say it would stand alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Jamie Cudmore ‏@JNCudmore 3h How long for a kick in the head these days ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

sounds like Monsieur Cudmore didnt fancy round two with Paulie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

ssaye wrote: »
    Jamie Cudmore ‏@JNCudmore 3h How long for a kick in the head these days ?!

What a prick! Hopefully he gets sent off again after another ass whoopin :D

*EDIT RE INFRACTION*
    We were all thinking it, I just said it s'all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

POC will need to be a bit more measured against Clermont. Hines and Cudmore are going to do everything in their power to get under his skin. He's normally very restrained but it was clear at the weekend that he let things get to him. Cullen wound him up completely for giving away a penalty with some unsavoury pats on the head. POC could be seen mouthing at him and was a bit unhinged for the remainder of the game. Cudmore and Hines are at least as good as Cullen at getting to someone. POC will need to play with some controlled mayhem which is well within his capabilities.

Munster by more than 10
    Cant wait for Round 2.

331126.jpg

Ding Ding

was there really a round 1 though? cudmore just got his ass whooped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Buer wrote: »
    POC will need to be a bit more measured against Clermont. Hines and Cudmore are going to do everything in their power to get under his skin. He's normally very restrained but it was clear at the weekend that he let things get to him. Cullen wound him up completely for giving away a penalty with some unsavoury pats on the head. POC could be seen mouthing at him and was a bit unhinged for the remainder of the game. Cudmore and Hines are at least as good as Cullen at getting to someone. POC will need to play with some controlled mayhem which is well within his capabilities.

There are many things to be worried about against Clermont, POC's temperament is certainly not one of them

Munster by 1-10
    Rnd 2:
    any excuse for a bit of Queensberry Rules!
    Nathan Hines v Donnacha Ryan has a nice ring 2 it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clermont by 1-10
    trouttrout wrote: »
    There are many things to be worried about against Clermont, POC's temperament is certainly not one of them

Owens appeared to lose patience with him on Saturday. Do we know who the ref is for this?

I'd be more concerned about Cudmore or Hines doing something silly in an attempt to wind up POC then about him retaliating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

trouttrout wrote: »

I would have thought so also but I would have said precisely the same ahead of the Leinster game after which he had conceded a penalty under his own posts, had his team marched back 10m and been involved in an incident that was touch and go for a citing. POC has been known to get exasperated in the past (normally when Poite has been involved). It happens. Hines is an utter nightmare to play against. Cudmore will say anything to get under his skin.

POC being on fire is essential to Munster standing a chance. Allow himself to be distracted and that chance disappears.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In case anyone missed the warning in the other threads, any discussion of the incident between PoC's shin/foot and Dave Kearney's head from Saturday night will result in a ban, as this is the third warning I will ban anyone discussing it on here till after the semi-final.

Munster by more than 10
    Are we good enough to beat Clermont? Yes we are. Get the tactics right and we'll trouble them, I've absolutely no doubt about that.

Do people from boards ever meet up for away matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Our backrow seems fairly nailed on, POM TOD and Cawlin, but i'd say the bench spot is still up for grabs. I wouldn't mind seeing Dave O'C in there. Nothing against Butler, i think he's a fine player, but I think Dave has that extra physicality this year that could be great coming off the bench with 10/15 to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

BBDBB wrote: »
    sounds like Monsieur Cudmore didnt fancy round two with Paulie :pac:

I never understand comments like this.

**mod edit Lieboulous comments removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I am dying for this game.

Yes, there's a good chance you lads are going to be mauled into the ground but there's also a chance that you come good and swipe a win from ASM.

Look at the defence on Saturday from the red.

27 Phases and it took BOD to get through.

With the likes of Zebo out wide and hopefully Keatley and O'Gara paired up 10/11 We could see some nice fast play with points earned off the boot.

Best of luck :)

Munster by more than 10
    MugMugs wrote: »
    I am dying for this game.

Yes, there's a good chance you lads are going to be mauled into the ground but there's also a chance that you come good and swipe a win from ASM.

Look at the defence on Saturday from the red.

27 Phases and it took BOD to get through.

With the likes of Zebo out wide and hopefully Keatley and O'Gara paired up 10/11 We could see some nice fast play with points earned off the boot.

Best of luck :)

Tbf i nearly cried when he came up to the ball, you could see he was going to go straight for the post, and all my shouting at the tv wouldnt make botha move to the left:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Clermont will go after ROG in a big way if he starts. Similar to the way Cudmore took Boss out in last years game, I fully expect them to shake his bones hard and repeatedly. In all honesty I fully expect Clermont to be especially 'hard' against them as they will have seen the way Munster played against us and wont stand for half the messing that the Leinster team did. Munster are a dirty/niggly team but getting into an arm wrestle with Clermont wouldn't be a great idea.

I'd love to see Munster win but think Clermont will win by 14+

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Munster by more than 10
    Munster to win *

* I have almost zero interest in rugby but I like voting in polls :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Munster by 1-10
    Can't see us winning tbqh.....Clermont are very very very good. If we have everyone possible available, then we do have a very slight chance. It will require heroic defence, an extremely solid set-piece and absolutely no mistakes, taking points at every available opportunity.

Even then, the odds are stacked against us. Clermont have so much depth, so many good players...pace, power, skill, a strong set-piece. Out-half would seem to be their only discernible weakness, we have to get at whoever starts there and hope he has an off-game.

But I'm dreading seeing the likes of Rougerie, Fofana, etc. running at ROG's channel.

I was going to say "still, stranger things have happened..." but no, they haven't. If we win away in France against this Clermont side, with this particular team...it will be the greatest result in Munster's history, bar none. I really really hope we can do it. POC leading a furious pack, Murray sweeping the ball wide for some Zebo magic...you never know.

(I am a Sunderland fan, after last weekend, I believe in miracles)

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Can't see us winning tbqh.....Clermont are very very very good. If we have everyone possible available, then we do have a very slight chance. It will require heroic defence, an extremely solid set-piece and absolutely no mistakes, taking points at every available opportunity.

Even then, the odds are stacked against us. Clermont have so much depth, so many good players...pace, power, skill, a strong set-piece. Out-half would seem to be their only discernible weakness, we have to get at whoever starts there and hope he has an off-game.

But I'm dreading seeing the likes of Rougerie, Fofana, etc. running at ROG's channel.

I was going to say "still, stranger things have happened..." but no, they haven't. If we win away in France against this Clermont side, with this particular team...it will be the greatest result in Munster's history, bar none. I really really hope we can do it. POC leading a furious pack, Murray sweeping the ball wide for some Zebo magic...you never know.

(I am a Sunderland fan, after last weekend, I believe in miracles)

Good post, we need to starve them of possession for long periods.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clermont by 1-10
    Is ROG even sure to be playing? No chance of Keatley at 10?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clermont by 1-10
    I'd be quite worried about Clermont's bench actually. Sheer aggression can get you quite far but its quite taxing. I don't think Quins had anywhere near the same kind of bench to take advantage of a tiring Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Imagine if we actually won .. There would anarchy in France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be quite worried about Clermont's bench actually. Sheer aggression can get you quite far but its quite taxing. I don't think Quins had anywhere near the same kind of bench to take advantage of a tiring Munster.

Their bench is almost as scary as their starting 15 in most cases.

I'd say Munster tactics will be attempt to suppress them once they get a few points on the board.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement