Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont vs Munster buildup thread **read post one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Good man that's really clever well done. Didn't know your wit was as good as your as points.

Play nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Clermont by 1-10
    .ak wrote: »
    Play nice...[/QUOTE
    Came out wrong sorry, removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Munster by more than 10
    V disappointed to see Owens is the ref. He's a real homer for H cup games. Last thing we needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rightwing wrote: »
    V disappointed to see Owens is the ref. He's a real homer for H cup games. Last thing we needed.

If we lose I can't see it being because of Owens. With a bit if luck and hard work from Munster we may snatch a win but at this moment in time it's Clermont's game to lose. Seems like we won't have Dougie back for it either so hopefully Earls makes it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's a bonus for Munster to have Owens as referee. They have huge experience with him. He's a Pro12 referee for a start so they encounter him a few times every season. The homer stuff is completely unfounded also. 7 ERC games refereed this season, 3 away wins. He's a top referee that Munster are very familiar with.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    phog wrote: »
    If we lose I can't see it being because of Owens. With a bit if luck and hard work from Munster we may snatch a win but at this moment in time it's Clermont's game to lose. Seems like we won't have Dougie back for it either so hopefully Earls makes it back.

Neither Earls nor Howlett will be in the team, bench at best.

We can't be giving away silly penalties like we did v Leinster, unless Brock James is the kicker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Neither Earls nor Howlett will be in the team, bench at best.

We can't be giving away silly penalties like we did v Leinster, unless Brock James is the kicker!

Been a long time since James had the Heebie-jeebies. Plus, Parra will be most likely knocking them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls has to start if fit.

Munster by more than 10
    Earls has to start if fit.

Don't think so, how long has he been out for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Munster by more than 10
    .ak wrote: »
    Been a long time since James had the Heebie-jeebies. Plus, Parra will be most likely knocking them over.

Any update on his injury , Brock and Rougerie out will be big loses for CA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Munster by more than 10

Massive hand off from Fofana yesterday , incredible player. Downey and LALA will have to be on top form.

Best 12 in the world at the moment, how do Munster deal with a player like that?!

énorme indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster by 1-10
    Fofana isn't even that big, no idea where the power comes from. Great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Clermont by 1-10
    danthefan wrote: »

The fact that he is so strong and yet not that big makes him an even more elusive target. On most of his breaks, he seems to stay going on the outside rather than cutting in and yet he still cannot be stopped. His tries against England in the 6N and Toulouse today, with the space he creates, are like something from the amateur era.

Good strength and conditioning (coaches) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Clermont by 1-10
    wonderful skill set

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clermont by 1-10
    Fofana is just ridiculous. An absolute class player and easily the best centre in Europe.

Clermont by 1-10
    fofana is 5ft 10 and weighs 88kg ...skill over bulk anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Munster by more than 10
    Best 12 in the world at the moment, how do Munster deal with a player like that?!

énorme indeed

downeytackle3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster by more than 10
    Our two leagues are a million miles apart.

It's a wonder French clubs don't win the HC more often. I don't buy into they don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

backgreen wrote: »
    fofana is 5ft 10 and weighs 88kg ...skill over bulk anytime

-- and speed

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

It's a wonder French clubs don't win the HC more often. I don't buy into they don't want to.

-- the top14 here is a fantastic chamionship
    (it makes for great weekends :pac::pac: )

Clermont by 1-10

the french have increased their salary cap to 10 million for next season,the national championship is the priority for all french clubs,but i think a lot more H cups will go there in future

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I think the instinctiveness he has to transfer the ball between hands while going full tilt to prepare himself for hand-off is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's not that they don't want to but the T14 is their bread and butter. There's huge history and prestige associated with it in France and it's what brings in the fans and money. Only the top sides have the squads to compete on two fronts given how intense and physical the T14 can be. That has only been the case in the last several years also when teams have started to spend big.

Take Brive back in 1997, when the tournament was still in its infancy, out of the equation and Toulouse are the only French side to have managed to win the HEC. Brive didn't manage to make the QF of the French Championship that season either.

It's remarkable that only one side has won the HEC from France in the past 15 years.

Munster by more than 10

We have a huge advantage over them, and I don't blame them for wanting the structure changed. Rabo teams can target these H Cup matches, that makes us far more dangerous in 1 off games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Clermont by 1-10
    We have a huge advantage over them, and I don't blame them for wanting the structure changed. Rabo teams can target these H Cup matches, that makes us far more dangerous in 1 off games.

Plus having only 4 competitive teams means the talent is a lot more focused. Imagine we had 14 teams. I shudder to imagine what state Irish rugby would be in if that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster by 1-10
    Talk about a good fend....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Grimebox wrote: »
    Plus having only 4 competitive teams means the talent is a lot more focused. Imagine we had 14 teams. I shudder to imagine what state Irish rugby would be in if that was the case

Do we get the 65 million population too?

• Advertisement

Clermont by 1-10
    Tox56 wrote: »
    Do we get the 65 million population too?

Ireland has a large pool of senior rugby players in comparison to other countries if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find the infograph. I seem to remember we are on par with NZ and England in terms of player pool size.

Clermont by 1-10
    Ireland has a large pool of senior rugby players in comparison to other countries if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find the infograph. I seem to remember we are on par with NZ and England in terms of player pool size.

Those numbers include tag players apparently.

Also, we're way off England who have about 1,000,000 senior males.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/09/2103/rugby-world-cup-daily-player-numbers-around-the-world

Clermont by 1-10
    Tag players :eek: Technically I am a senior player available to be selected if thats the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Clermont by 1-10
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Those numbers include tag players apparently.

Also, we're way off England who have about 1,000,000 senior males.

The Irish numbers do, some of the other unions don't

Each union is done on their own set of criteria.

Clermont by 1-10
    The Irish numbers do, some of the other unions don't

Each union is done on their own set of criteria.

Yeah I know, I didn't explain that clearly. For that reason the numbers just aren't comparable though.

• Advertisement

Clermont by 1-10
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I didn't explain that clearly. For that reason the numbers just aren't comparable though.

However England are counting "Total players" is clearly vastly different to everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

However England are counting "Total players" is clearly vastly different to everyone else

I do remember in one set of figures I was given for Ireland that rugby playing secondary schools were counted also,,this included all pupils in the school, whether they actually played the game or not.

Munster by more than 10
    backgreen wrote: »
    the french have increased their salary cap to 10 million for next season,the national championship is the priority for all french clubs,but i think a lot more H cups will go there in future

What's the English budget ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Clermont by 1-10
    What's the English budget ?

The Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR), the umbrella body representing France's leading clubs, has announced that the Top 14 salary cap will rise to €10m (£8.6m) as of next season.

The new figure is a €500,000 increase on the present limit but crucially youth players will no longer be included in the salary cap unless they earn in excess of €50,000 (£43,000) a year in a move designed to encourage the development of fresh talent. The latter ceiling will be reviewed on an annual basis but the actual salary cap, that was raised from €8.7m to €9.5m this season, will be remain in place for the next three campaigns.

That trend look likely to continue with the English Premiership salary cap currently set at £4.26m rising to a maximum of £4.5m with the continuation of the 'Academy Credits' that reward clubs for bring through their own talent. In addition, they are allowed to nominate one 'Excluded Player' whose salary can be discounted.

Welsh rugby has suffered the most as a result of French rugby's financial dominance with centre Jamie Roberts just the latest of a long line of internationals to opt for a cross-Channel switch with Racing Metro his expected destination. The cash-strapped four Welsh regions introduced a £3.5m salary cap this season to cover players registered for European squads with development and academy costs falling outside of this remit.

Clermont by 1-10
    Stupid question, what exactly is the salary cap? €10m maximum budget a club can spend on players' salary in total?

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    Stupid question, what exactly is the salary cap? €10m maximum budget a club can spend on players' salary in total?

Ya, that's my understanding of it. It's a little bit worrying that the French are getting so powerful with their sugar daddys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Clermont by 1-10
    Fofana was quiet against Ireland. Didn't get much ball. Munster will somehow have to reproduce those conditions to have a chance. But the Clermont forwards are kinda formidable too. It's hard even to find a fantasy route to victory.

Munster by more than 10
    Ardillaun wrote: »
    Fofana was quiet against Ireland. Didn't get much ball. Munster will somehow have to reproduce those conditions to have a chance. But the Clermont forwards are kinda formidable too. It's hard even to find a fantasy route to victory.

But they have a history of blowing up and choking, hence they have so little silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster by 1-10

How much of that was Ireland keeping him quiet and how much was the crazy coaching selections and decisions?

Clermont by 1-10
    Fofana was played out of position on the wing by that crazy french coach..
    12/13 and he's dynamite

Squad Update: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11862.php

Archer out while DOC, POM, Downey, Earls and Howlett are doubts. Sherry didn't train today because of tonsilitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Munster by more than 10
    Squad Update: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11862.php

Archer out while DOC, POM, Downey, Earls and Howlett are doubts. Sherry didn't train today because of tonsilitis.

Jesus, the impossible gets harder!!!! POM would be the HUGE loss to us.

Munster by more than 10
    That's disastrous news. We'll still probably have some bemoaning Clermont's luck if James is out.

That's disastrous news. We'll still probably have some bemoaning Clermont's luck if James is out.

James out would be a huge positive for Munster, not Clermont. He's a brilliant player. People just keep judging him on a few very poor performances which isn't right. The RDS Quarter-Final was three seasons ago, it's not really relevant.

Apparently Clermont are in negotiations with the ERC to get Mike Delany registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Munster by more than 10
    James out would be a huge positive for Munster, not Clermont. He's a brilliant player. People just keep judging him on a few very poor performances which isn't right. The RDS Quarter-Final was three seasons ago, it's not really relevant.

Apparently Clermont are in negotiations with the ERC to get Mike Delany registered.

How does that work? What would the basis of the argument be? (I know we'd just be speculating but just curious).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement