Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont vs Munster buildup thread **read post one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Munster by more than 10
    James out would be a huge positive for Munster, not Clermont. He's a brilliant player. People just keep judging him on a few very poor performances which isn't right. The RDS Quarter-Final was three seasons ago, it's not really relevant.

Apparently Clermont are in negotiations with the ERC to get Mike Delany registered.

Well if that list of injuries turns out to be accurate our chances are gone :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

budhabob wrote: »
    How does that work? What would the basis of the argument be? (I know we'd just be speculating but just curious).

The only argument I can think of is two outhalfs are injured: James and Skrela. IMO only for the frontrow would that argument hold sway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster by 1-10
    Our two leagues are a million miles apart.

It's a wonder French clubs don't win the HC more often. I don't buy into they don't want to.

We've 2 French HEC and 2 Amlin semi-finalists in Europe this year, they clearly do want to win it. Even in the Amlin you saw Stade and Biarritz really going for it to win their SFs.

Has to be said that after the Clermont/Toulouse game things are looking fairly ominous for Munster. If Munster managed to win it would be, imo, their best ever win in Europe.

Munster by more than 10
    I'd like Clermont to be at full strength, but only provided that we are as well. Like last year, the winner of this tie will go on to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The only argument I can think of is two outhalfs are injured: James and Skrela. IMO only for the frontrow would that argument hold sway.

Given Rado started the quarter final, I don't think they've a leg to stand on. Parra has also played outhalf for club and country. I think they might start with Rado and have James on the bench if he's 80%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'd like Clermont to be at full strength, but only provided that we are as well. Like last year, the winner of this tie will go on to win it.

Toulon v Clermont in Dublin will be more or less a 50/50 game

Saracens v Munster in Dublin would be a very close call

Toulon v Munster the same

Saracens v Clermont in Dublin and you would favor Clermont

So I don't know how you can say that the winner of this semi will go on to win it in such a matter of fact way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster by 1-10
    Squad Update: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11862.php

Archer out while DOC, POM, Downey, Earls and Howlett are doubts. Sherry didn't train today because of tonsilitis.

I'd imagine there's a fair attempt at so-called mind games here, would expect most of those to play.

Munster by more than 10
    trouttrout wrote: »
    Toulon v Clermont in Dublin will be more or less a 50/50 game

Saracens v Munster in Dublin would be a very close call

Toulon v Munster the same

Saracens v Clermont in Dublin and you would favor Clermont

So I don't know how you can say that the winner of this semi will go on to win it in such a matter of fact way

I know where you are coming from, Sarries/Toulon will be a much tougher nut to crack than Ulster, I'd still back the winner of our semi, we'd have home advantage, and Clermont are good enough to beat the pick of the other 2.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clermont by 1-10
    I know where you are coming from, Sarries/Toulon will be a much tougher nut to crack than Ulster, I'd still back the winner of our semi, we'd have home advantage, and Clermont are good enough to beat the pick of the other 2.
    Not so sure about that.

If we'd have turned up we'd have beaten Saracens IMO.

Unfortunately we bottled it on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clermont by 1-10
    Squad Update: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11862.php

Archer out while DOC, POM, Downey, Earls and Howlett are doubts. Sherry didn't train today because of tonsilitis.

All smoke and mirrors I reckon. They'll all be fit (bar Archer) come Saturday.

Munster would have a good chance against Saracens (Ulster really let themselves down in the quarters IMO) but not Toulon. RCT have too much quality across the park and at some stage they're not going to **** up a final. Their depth on the bench is insane and would have a massive impact in the last 20 that we would struggle to match.

For the hell of it, my composite side:
    Sheridan, Sherry, Hayman, Botha, POC, Lobbe, Armitage, POM;
    Michalak, Wilkinson, Wulf, Giteau, Basteraud, Palisson, Zebo

Orioli, Jenkins, Botha, Ryan, Rossouw, Murray, ROG/Keatley, Earls

It's my dream lineup! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Quint2010 wrote: »
    All smoke and mirrors I reckon. They'll all be fit (bar Archer) come Saturday.

It sounds like Dougie wont make it.

Munster by more than 10
    Munster would have a good chance against Saracens (Ulster really let themselves down in the quarters IMO) but not Toulon. RCT have too much quality across the park and at some stage they're not going to **** up a final. Their depth on the bench is insane and would have a massive impact in the last 20 that we would struggle to match.

Orioli, Jenkins, Botha, Roussouw, Masoe, Murray, ROG/Keatley, Mermoz

Interesting, I'd still go with us to beat them in the Aviva, anywhere else I agree they'd be favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Clermont by 1-10

Orioli, Jenkins, Botha, Roussouw, Masoe, Murray, ROG/Keatley, Mermoz

Murray would definitely start ahead of Michalak, I also think Ryan and Earls would make the squad, don't think I would have Botha in the squad though.

Murray would definitely start ahead of Michalak, I also think Ryan and Earls would make the squad, don't think I would have Botha in the squad though.

Michalak has been outstanding at nine for Toulon this season, it would be a close run thing.

Yikes, forgot about Ryan and Earls.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    A bit of S Barnes preview of the game:

Munster will have to engulf their opponents at the breakdown (risking much in the process), dominate the line outs and kick their goals. Conor Murray is perhaps playing for a Lions place. A masterful performance in Montpellier would clinch it. The same might just be said for both Peter O'Mahony and Simon Zebo, perhaps Donncha Ryan too. Victory in Clermont could throw all Warren Gatland's preconceptions overboard. Such is the size of the challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Good point by Barnes, if Munster are to win you feel they're going to have to flood the breakdown and dominate that area, doing so is likely to leave space elsewhere so if they dont slow Clermonts ball down there's no better side in Europe at exploiting space. Refereeing will be hugely important too, against Quins the ref (Garces?) allowed Munster compete for the ball at the breakdown, whether Barnes allows as much competition will be a crucial factor.

Munster by more than 10
    shuffol wrote: »
    Good point by Barnes, if Munster are to win you feel they're going to have to flood the breakdown and dominate that area, doing so is likely to leave space elsewhere so if they dont slow Clermonts ball down there's no better side in Europe at exploiting space. Refereeing will be hugely important too, against Quins the ref (Garces?) allowed Munster compete for the ball at the breakdown, whether Barnes allows as much competition will be a crucial factor.

It's Owens who is the ref,,, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It's Owens who is the ref,,, unfortunately.

My bad, Owens can vary, gave the defending side plenty of leeway in the Munster-Leinster game but can be very quick to call ruck at other times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Munster by more than 10
    shuffol wrote: »
    My bad, Owens can vary, gave the defending side plenty of leeway in the Munster-Leinster game but can be very quick to call ruck at other times.

Owens was pure crap for both teams , he is going downhill lately wants more to have a bit of banter and a laugh more than ref the games , twitter has gone to his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Stuart Barnes writing Munster off, it's in the bag for ye lads.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12062_8665269,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Munster by more than 10
    The knot in my stomach grows bigger with every passing day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont by 1-10
    AngeGal wrote: »
    Stuart Barnes writing Munster off, it's in the bag for ye lads.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12062_8665269,00.html

If Munster's cheerleader-in-chief can't see how a win is possible, things are definitely looking grim...

Munster by more than 10
    The knot in my stomach grows bigger with every passing day.

Yep, biggest game of the year for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Limerick's Live 95fm are in Fla's on Thursday evening previewing the game.

BIh4Q5FCEAAybYb.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Interesting and good news for Munster - will Skrela play at 10 then?

little173 wrote: »
    Interesting and good news for Munster - will Skrela play at 10 then?

The same article says Brock James could make his return. Otherwise it will be Skrela or Rado.

It was a joke even trying to register him. Radoslavjevic will start at 10, I'd say. He started the QF with Skrela on the bench. Parra has played 10 at club and international level.

• Advertisement

Munster by more than 10
    Buer wrote: »
    It was a joke even trying to register him. Radoslavjevic will start at 10, I'd say. He started the QF with Skrela on the bench. Parra has played 10 at club and international level.

Absolutely, these moneybag teams with sugardaddys think they can do what they like.

Absolutely, these moneybag teams with sugardaddys think they can do what they like.

They were just chancing their arm. Prob knew he wouldn't be allowed to be registered. Nothing to do with Clermont "thinking they can do what they want"

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Cheers - Just shows what ridiculous strength in depth they have!

Nothing wrong with trying to get him registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Clermont by 1-10

This post shows ignorance of Clermont, as a club they are not like that at all, a real family club with great values that have gotten to the top through long term planning and hard work along with a bit of cash(but they aren't a money bag club). Great and loyal fan base as well. Not all French teams are like are moneybag teams you know. I have a lot of time for Clermont

Also nothing wrong with at least trying to get him registered, Munster would have done the same.

Not the point I was trying to make at all. It's a joke because it never stood a chance at all. Read up on the history of Clermont and you'll see that they're club with a superb history and have never had a sugar daddy come in and buy them out. It was set up as a social team for the employees of the Michelin company and retains its links right to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Clermont by 1-10
    Oooohhhh, this isn't sitting well chez les Clermontois.
    Manager du club, Jean-Marc Lhermet, s’est contenté de détailler les faits:
    "L’ERC a son règlement et l’interprète. Il y avait dans cette situation précise un vide juridique. Nous ferons avec ces contraintes, Mike Delany ne pourra pas jouer en H Cup cette saison, le Munster, lui pourra utiliser Paul O’Connell ce week-end".

Club manager, Jean-Marc Lhermet, was happy to set out the facts:
    "The ERC have their rule and have interpreted it, but there's a legal gap in this situation. We'll work within these limitations, Mike Delaney won't be able to play in the H-Cup this season and Munster, they'll be able to play Paul O'Connell this weekend..."

The "legal gap" is that the ERC have two rules, one of which stated that all additional players had to be registered by 21st March, the other that new players must be registered on or before the Tuesday preceding the game. ERC decided the 21st March rule takes precedence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Who will be Munster's sub TH this weekend given Archer's injury?

An injury to Botha could spell trouble.

Who will be Munster's sub TH this weekend given Archer's injury?

An injury to Botha could spell trouble.

John Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not the point I was trying to make at all. It's a joke because it never stood a chance at all. Read up on the history of Clermont and you'll see that they're club with a superb history and have never had a sugar daddy come in and buy them out. It was set up as a social team for the employees of the Michelin company and retains its links right to this day.

If you're lucky enough to get a puncture on Rue Vaucanson, Aurélien Rougerie will change your tire for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Clermont by 1-10
    .ak wrote: »
    If you're lucky enough to get a puncture on Rue Vaucanson, Aurélien Rougerie will change your tire for you.

really??

Remember a few years ago one of the bridges near Donnybrook was inpassable due to snow and BoD and some other Leinster players pulled cars across the bridge for a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

really??

Remember a few years ago one of the bridges near Donnybrook was inpassable due to snow and BoD and some other Leinster players pulled cars across the bridge for a few hours

Sounds believable.

John Ryan

Jaysus that's a big ask, Botha will likely have to last 80 mins against two top quality LHs then. Du Preez and Ryan against Debaty and Kotze could spell trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Conor George reporting that Earls will be fit. That'd be a colossal boost for Munster.

Munster by more than 10
    wittycynic wrote: »
    Conor George reporting that Earls will be fit. That'd be a colossal boost for Munster.

He has no game time tho, I don't think he can be thrown straight in for what will be a really demanding game.

• Advertisement

Clermont's PR machine rolling along well...

BIhxIy2CAAAnCAT.jpg

He has no game time tho, I don't think he can be thrown straight in for what will be a really demanding game.

He goes straight in, Munster will have to take risks and need their best attacking players. If Howlett is out, Earls on the wing. If Howlett is fit, Earls at 13.

Munster by more than 10
    He goes straight in, Munster will have to take risks and need their best attacking players. If Howlett is out, Earls on the wing. If Howlett is fit, Earls at 13.

I think it would be madness putting both in, can't be match fit.

I think it would be madness putting both in, can't be match fit.

They wouldn't be available if they weren't match fit. Medical staff know what they're doing

trouttrout wrote: »
    They wouldn't be available if they weren't match fit. Medical staff know what they're doing

How could Earls possibly be 'match fit'? When was the last time he played?

Now perhaps he's fit, but it takes a very special player (BOD or POC) to come straight back from an injury and slot back into the white heat of an away HEC semi. There's no way he's match fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement