Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss is starting to win the battle

• 14-04-2013 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all, as title suggests moss is starting to win battle with grass in my lawn.
    What is best solution to fix this.
    Total green area is 3,000 sq metres so cost would be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yikes. I just put down some lawn sand and it's working a treat. But it's a typical suburban postage stamp garden. No idea about an economic approach to land that big, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Same problem all over from what I can see.
    I'm going to have a go at building a detatcher for behind the mower, it should help pull up the dead tatch and moss for the mower to lift.

It's a problem with larger lawns, the cost of treating can be prohibitant.

I had already got lawn fertiliser when I read I should have got one with sulphur added as this aparrently helps kill off moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

I put on 7/6/17+s on today.grass doesn't grow to fast and has 8% sulphur ,good for killing moss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No chance of letting the moss win then? I'm a big fan of the moss lawn rather than grass. Soft enough to roll around on, green, beautiful and never needs mowing. Much lower maintenance than grass. Moss for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

You need to apply ferrous sulfate with some lawn fertiliser, then rake the moss out as it blackens over the next weeks, but better wait until there is some growth.
    Both ferrous sulfate and fertiliser can be bought in a good garden centre separately and mix yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Make sure you keep ferrous sulphate (sulphate of iron) well away from paths and tarmac!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Avns1s wrote: »
    Make sure you keep ferrous sulphate (sulphate of iron) well away from paths and tarmac!!

+1 on this, stains concrete and tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

rent out a hollow tine aertator & scarifier

You can get ones that attach onto your ride on lawn mower

To solve your moss problem you will need to improve our soil conditions - better drainage

After this process you should lightly re seed the lawn

And never cut it too short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

rent out a hollow tine aertator & scarifier

You can get ones that attach onto your ride on lawn mower

To solve your moss problem you will need to improve our soil conditions - better drainage

After this process you should lightly re seed the lawn

And never cut it too short

Not always so on the drainage..
    My lawn is dry and hard...
    Last summer/autumn was just too wet/damp for too long and moss just sprung up where it haddent been seen before..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

bbam wrote: »
    Not always so on the drainage..
    My lawn is dry and hard...
    Last summer/autumn was just too wet/damp for too long and moss just sprung up where it haddent been seen before..

I agree. I did a good workover on the lawn last October and it still ended up full of moss. That wouldn't usually happen. That's why I resorted to lawn sand this spring. It's worked a treat, very thorough and quick and the grass has greened up nicely too. But good maintanence is the best way to keep it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Avns1s wrote: »

Thank you, I was completely baffled as to why the man holes on my septic tank had gone orange.

Do you know if it damages the concrete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Colm R wrote: »
    Thank you, I was completely baffled as to why the man holes on my septic tank had gone orange.

Do you know if it damages the concrete?

I don't know that it will damage the concrete but it will leave a permanent rust stain on it. Hence, do not let it near anything other than your area of garden that is supposed to be grassed.

Advertisement