Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To get another dog?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have a great 2 year old Beagle, lots of energy and very affectionate, he is a real part of the pack and is just starting to calm down after the crazy Beagle puppy years. He is a good walker and loves going for long walks in the woods and swims nearly everyday.

He is alone during the day while we are at work but has access to the house and a big fenced in back garden approx 1/4 acre. We worry that he is lonely during the day though and are thinking of getting him a girlfriend to keep him company.

Does anyone have any experience of introducing another beagle to an established pack ?

Is it better to bring in a puppy or an older dog?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated , we just want our little guy to be happy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How many dogs so you have since you've mentioned a 'pack' ?!

Anyhoos if you get a pup what will you do regarding exercise - obviously the pup won't be able for long walks until its around 12 months... Will you walk them separately or together and maybe add an extra walk in with just the older dog? This is a question I've been asking myself lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Getting a 2nd dog was the best thing I ever did - for both of my dogs. They simply adore each other and it's a great comfort to know they keep each other company all day rather than leaving one alone all day as I used to do.

People ask me is it much extra work and I honestly say "about 10% extra" as I walk and feed them at the same time - helps if you have a 2nd person to walk the 2nd dog (depending on size of course)....ESP when it comes to lifting poohs!

The most important thing is pairing them though and enduring they're compatible - you should try and get a behaviourist if possible to look at the potential match(es).

And needless to say.....if you can rescue a pup/dog instead of going to a breeder that would be wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

Getting a 2nd dog was the best thing I ever did - for both of my dogs. They simply adore each other and it's a great comfort to know they keep each other company all day rather than leaving one alone all day as I used to do.

People ask me is it much extra work and I honestly say "about 10% extra" as I walk and feed them at the same time - helps if you have a 2nd person to walk the 2nd dog (depending on size of course)....ESP when it comes to lifting poohs!

The most important thing is pairing them though and enduring they're compatible - you should try and get a behaviourist if possible to look at the potential match(es).

And needless to say.....if you can rescue a pup/dog instead of going to a breeder that would be wonderful.
    I'd agree with this.
    Even though my dogs aren't left on their own in the house that much, they are obviously still great company for each other, even when we are there.

In regards to time I think the extra time spent on walks, training etc is so worth it. We wouldn't take them on separate walks every time. It depends on how long we are waking for and where we are walking.
    One of mine is still a pup, so she can't go for longer walks yet.

I'd recommend a female as you already have a male. Might be easier to get an older dog if you are not in the house during the days, pups would take up quite a lot of time.

Advertisement