Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTR Bipods?

• 15-04-2013 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

All,
    The rifle and rail are home, the scope is in the mail, and so to will the rings, shortly. (Savage 12, Nightforce NXS-NP-R2 12-42x56mm, NF Picatinny 20MOA rail, and steel NF rings)

Now all that is left is to get to the range.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I imagine I will have to get a bipod and was wondering which ye have or would recommend. I doubt my Harris bipods are going to be up to the task of long distance shooting.

Also, at what distance does the bipod become a necessity? Do you ever shoot long distance off of a bag?

Slan

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

the harris will do for the time being, but you really need to go for a dedicated FTR bipod to better manage recoil, battery, etc.

Three years ago there was a choice of one or two. Now there are dozens. They are getting lighter, and better.

The beautiful thing with the Savage/Nightforce combo is it is well under weight. If memory serves it runs around 15 pounds. meaning you can have any choice of any bipod and still be under weight.

The first one i'd suggest simply because it adds a good bit of weight, and is stable as a rock is the Sinclair FTR bipod. Mark III. 2.2 lb, rock solid, easily adjustable, cheapest at $220 or so.

You then have your choice of;
    • Bigfoot (Fito Force)
    • Dolphin mark II
    • Third Eye Tactical
    • Censhot
    • Evo

They range in price from $200 - $500. They also range in weight from 400 grams to 1.25 kg. As said i would look strongly at the Sinclair. You want to be close to the weight limit of 18.18 lbs. Any of the lighter ones will leave you at 16 - 16.25 lbs. A little too light.

FISMA wrote: »
    Also, at what distance does the bipod become a necessity?
    For competitive reasons - every distance. For general plinking and informal shooting a bag would do you fine. Its the difference between hitting the target accurate, precisely, and repetitively, and just hitting a target.
    Do you ever shoot long distance off of a bag?

Slan
    Personally no. Even when hunting i use a Harris attached to the rifle. Others may, but from a target point of view i want a rock solid front rest that can not only handle, but help manage the recoil. A bag by it's nature is not solid, and prone to side way sagging, and not holding the exact same height/shape for each shot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Quick question to those in the know, is there a limit for bipod width?
    What would be min and max height? (measured from under forend)
    We are just designing a FTR ultra light bipod . Hope to be able to offer a very light bit stiff version.
    Heavy is easy.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Quick question to those in the know, is there a limit for bipod width?
    No. None i'm aware of. Minimum foot base should be 14"+
    What would be min and max height? (measured from under forend)
    No lower than 4". No higher than 8-9".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks Cass.
    We'll aim for around 50cm max width.
    edi

50cm foot base with 10cm (4") minimum height should work fine. Then just work out your projected foot base for the 8 or 9 inch maximum height, and once it remains no less than 25cm (14") it'll be good.

Anyway, no need for me to tell you. You now better than i.

• Advertisement

We will try to have a constant footprint. Don't like it getting narrower just when you would need width at the higher rifle position.
    edi

Advertisement