Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-design around an existing (open-source) appliction.

• 15-04-2013 2:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭

I use an online application for my personal language-learning, it's well known, open-source and released into the Public Domain.

While it's useful, it's also a very 'clunky' design, and I want to re-design / re-house it in a better format, using the existing features, and possibly adding a few more, such as a user system (register, sign in, access material), and just a better overall user-interface.

The software:
    http://lwt.sourceforge.net

Online demo: http://lwt.sourceforge.net/testdb/
    user: lwt
    pass: lwt

From a brief look at the code; could this be re-housed in HTML5/CSS3 (possibly Twitter Bootstrap, or another framework)?

Without getting into specifics - what would I be looking at 'roughly' in terms of time/price, if I were to hire a developer? Design prototypes are already done, and just need implementation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

roughly, depending on quotes i've seen around your looking from anywhere between €300 and €10K LOL

without talking about money, unless someone has knowledge of lwt they would have to go through all the code on the pages, see what php code refers to, the good thing is u can backup your database so that should be easy enough to move.

If you want user access to all of site bar say home page that will be handy enough as u can use a bolt on script if you want it fully integrated it might be a little more difficult.

So if you're anyway internet minded it would prob take about a week to learn the code then possibility another week to do the redesign.

So somebody could come along and do it for you for €300 but you would probably get a p!$$ poor job, Or if you go to a High end company they could charge you up to 10K.

PM me if you want a more detailed breakdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

IrishExpat wrote: »
    From a brief look at the code; could this be re-housed in HTML5/CSS3 (possibly Twitter Bootstrap, or another framework)?

What code did you briefly look at? Because generated code doesn't equate to source code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

smash wrote: »
    What code did you briefly look at? Because generated code doesn't equate to source code.

Update:

I´m running it locally on a local server (XAMPP) and as I´m stronger on front-end devlopment, I´ve basically stripped down the source code (you can download the package), and wrapped the php tags in HTML divs and classes, using the Twitter Bootstrap framework for the elements and layout.

I´d be ashamed to show to code to a real programmer, it´s hacked to pieces (chunks taken out) - but it runs quite well locally.

This is a pure MVP, and I´m lucky to have a designer on hand to help with the usability. It looks nothing like the original application now. So if I see it as a viable product to sell on (even to language schools), I´ll look into hiring a real developer to re-do it.

Screenshots to come.

An update:

The second iteration, static wireframe, which we're now converting to a more functional HTML/CSS/jQuery prototype.

lang_app.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Im confused.

Are you looking for feedback on a wireframe? Or are you still looking for guidance on costs?

• Advertisement

Im confused.

Are you looking for feedback on a wireframe? Or are you still looking for guidance on costs?

The latter.

I have now successfully outsourced it to oDesk.

Horses for courses.

Advertisement