Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3: Episode 3 *** Have NOT read the books/SPOILERS ***MOD Note Post#1

• 15-04-2013 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Now we're starting to get going :) Still jumping about from scene to scene. Its getting to the stage where I'm watching each episode twice to keep up.
    The song at the end was unusual when it came in blaring, was not expecting that but it worked very well with the final scene.
    Was actually beginning to like Jamie toward the end.

Got to love the scenes with Tyrion, from dragging the chair around, to the brothel scene and then wanting to know what happened with the whores :)

Daenares obviously has a plan, she'd never give one of her dragons away.
    The 7 days before the next one is going to be a long wait again!!

MOD note to all: Please refrain from posting references to the books in these threads, there is really no need, as I have said before if the show needs the books to be referenced to explain something then they didn't do their job in the writing dept. Also as I have said before book readers found to be posting spoilers in the guise of speculation will be given lengthy bans. I have my eye on at least 4 people here, so fair warning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

'Apologies, but you're one ugly fcuker and I'd rather not see you no more':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Blay wrote: »

That was a great line but the best of the episode was when Bronn said to Podrick as they left him in the whore house...."pace yourself boy" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

wow that was a shocker ending! :D

I couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

lafors wrote: »
    Daenares obviously has a plan, she'd never give one of her dragons away.

Well she seems rather interested in the obedience of her new soldiers. My guess is, she will just order them to kill yer man and take her dragon back.

Or it could be just as simple as calling for him, he roasts his captors and flies to her. I mean, he's a dragon...........he CAN fly. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I actually feel sorry for Jamie Lannister... I never thought I would type those words.

THe table scene was also worth watching - such tension and silent comedy!

• Advertisement

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    I actually feel sorry for Jamie Lannister... I never thought I would type those words.

It's worth bearing in mind that this is the same person who pushed a child out of a window.

Yes, he did a good thing in attempting to stop the rape but he just did what he always does.....talk. He assumed the attempt would cost him nothing. Just words. Had he known it would cost him his hand......would he have done it?

Would he f*ck. :P

Having said that, I found it quite shocking. It's also robbed us of a great sword wielding character. Yes, I know we have plenty......but he did it with such wit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Podraig the legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Wow I'm gutted for Jaime, he won't be using a sword again anytime soon. It took awhile to sink in that for a knight to lose a hand is probably as bad as death. I seriously hope he and Brienne enact some vengeance on the Bolton lord.

Loved the rock outro, great juxtaposition with what just happened to Jaime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did GOT always do the different song ending, from ep1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great episode! The scene with pod after the brothel is hillarious :D

Theres an issue with downloaded episodes that the ending song kicks in 2 minutes too early so out of nowhere just as jamie has the knife put upto his eye the music just kicks in out of nowhere, was a major wtf moment for me but when i looked it up it appears to be happening to alot of people. :pac:

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Great episode! The scene with pod after the brothel is hillarious :D

Theres an issue with downloaded episodes that the ending song kicks in 2 minutes too early so out of nowhere just as jamie has the knife put upto his eye the music just kicks in out of nowhere, was a major wtf moment for me but when i looked it up it appears to be happening to alot of people. :pac:

Didn't have that. Need to find yourself a higher class source of episodes my good friend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just when you think the episode is winding down, bam!
    You almost think he would have been ok if he kept his mouth shut....

I think the music over the end credits works really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

klose wrote: »
    Theres an issue with downloaded episodes that the ending song kicks in 2 minutes too early so out of nowhere just as jamie has the knife put upto his eye the music just kicks in out of nowhere, was a major wtf moment for me but when i looked it up it appears to be happening to alot of people.
    You need to find a proper version. ;)

The bit with the chairs at the start was hilarious.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just re-watching it now, Varys's facial expressions while Littlefinger is talking during the small council meeting are hysterical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Blay wrote: »
    Or seconds later watch your head (bump) :D classic.
    The dragon girl :) seems planing something thou,giving away best dragon doesn't sit right,probably gonna fry the fella once the soldiers are hers :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Re-watching this season's episodes is definitely a must, there's so much going on.

I figured out something about Dany and the slave master upon my second viewing of this episode that may come into play:
    Dany gives water to the man being crucified who whispers something inaudible to her which she later reveals was "let me die" meaning she can speak the local language (presuming most slaves aren't multi-lingual that is) and has understood everything the slaver has said to her including the many insults :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Bald wise-cracking man on fire in 3...2...1...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

robby^5 wrote: »
    Re-watching this season's episodes is definitely a must, there's so much going on.

I figured out something about Dany and the slave master upon my second viewing of this episode that may come into play:
    Dany gives water to the man being crucified who whispers something inaudible to her which she later reveals was "let me die" meaning she can speak the local language (presuming most slaves aren't multi-lingual that is) and has understood everything the slaver has said to her including the many insults :D

Jaw still on the floor after that ending!

Yes I thought that too about Dany during the episode, the way she was looking at him when he was speaking to her I just got the feeling that she knew exactly what he was saying. I was expecting her to say something back in the local language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After that ending, I couldn't help but think of Arrested Development...
    J Walter Weatherman: and that's why we don't sass-mouth our captors.
    :D

I'd love to say that the ending took me by surprise, but thanks to thoughtless eyebrow-wiggling and hint-dropping in what I thought were safe threads around here, I knew it was coming. Very very annoying because otherwise it's a massive moment for that character. The fight on the bridge & Jamie's chat with Brienne earlier now seem like foreshadowing; what little Jamie had to boast of is now taken from him. It could also change the dynamics in the family Lannister. Jamie's a cripple now, and doubtless will return to the family a broken, changed man (I suspect Cersei will want nothing to do with him). That leaves Tyrion, will will feel no desire to cosy up to those who have effectively disowned him.

I spoke the other week about the complete lack of decent human beings, and to be fair, Danaerys is beginning to show her chops in that respect. Clearly she wants power & the throne, but unlike others wants to reduce the suffering & casualties. She may yet have to compromise and get her hands dirty, but she seems like the real deal at this stage.

As for the translating - was there ever any doubt that she couldn't speak the lingo? It's a classic twist on those kind of scenes: the diplomatic discussions, the secret & snide comments politely translated then - whoops - turns out the person you were talking about could speak the foreign language after-all!

Everything else was just filler really, bar perhaps Tyrion's scenes. I'm wondering - is Master of Coin supposed to be a demotion, or a humiliating role? I'm confused on that score because seems to me like Tyrion now has all the power, albeit discreetly. I can't imagine though that Tywin & Cersei would have knowingly done that. The scene when Padraig returned from the whorehouse was hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I thought Jamie & Tyrion get on well enough? I'm sure Jamie will find his niche

I got the 'damaged' episode aswell, ruined the climax really.

Danaerys is giving your man the Dragon but obviously she is the only one that can control them plus she has an obedient army, she could just take control of the whole place with the whisper of a command! I reckon she understood alot of what he was saying aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I hate being up to date on series like this. Give me the completed box set any day. How the freak am I supposed to wait a week after ending an episode like that?!?!?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm wondering - is Master of Coin supposed to be a demotion, or a humiliating role? I'm confused on that score because seems to me like Tyrion now has all the power, albeit discreetly. I can't imagine though that Tywin & Cersei would have knowingly done that. The scene when Padraig returned from the whorehouse was hilarious :D

I doubt it's a demotion. It would be like a CFO or minister of finance nowadays which is a prestigious role. After Tyrion's role in battle and his performance as the hand of the king I imagine Tywin sees that Tyrion has skills and is useful despite hating him and seeing him as an embarrassment.

Loved that episode. Tyrion and Bronn are brilliant as usual and the parts with Padraig were excellent. I can't see Daenerys giving up a dragon. She'll probably get her army then double cross yer man and kill him. What an ending as well. I always liked Jaime. He's a bit up his own arse (when he's not up his sister's arse) so it'll be interesting to see how this will affect him. As someone said above, a knight losing his sword hand is probably worse than death. Will his father disown him like he has Tyrion? Will he just wallow in his own misery or will he adapt and make himself useful in other ways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

brokenarms wrote: »
    Vago hoat did a nice little number on him at the end alright.

Only a book reader would call him that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I always like Jaime. He's a bit up his own arse (when he's not up his sister's arse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He's a bit up his own arse (when he's not up his sister's arse)
    I was going to thank your post for this comment but, as someone who might be known for having read the books, thought people might misinterpret it as a "you're on the right track" kinda thing. It's not. That's just funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

theteal wrote: »
    I hate being up to date on series like this. Give me the completed box set any day. How the freak am I supposed to wait a week after ending an episode like that?!?!?!

Has to be done, but might not get a good reception in this thread though :P

200px-AStormOfSwords.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I doubt it's a demotion. It would be like a CFO or minister of finance nowadays which is a prestigious role. After Tyrion's role in battle and his performance as the hand of the king I imagine Tywin sees that Tyrion has skills and is useful despite hating him and seeing him as an embarrassment.

Just seems passing strange that they would give Tyrion such a secretive & arguably powerful role, particularly when they were making efforts to push him to the fringes earlier. Equally strange that Littlefinger accepted the decision without quarrel. As you say, it's the equivalent of being the Minister of Finance, which depending on your viewpoint is one of the most powerful jobs in government.
    Loved that episode. Tyrion and Bronn are brilliant as usual and the parts with Padraig were excellent. I can't see Daenerys giving up a dragon. She'll probably get her army then double cross yer man and kill him.

I suspect this is her playing the long game & teaching the slavers a lesson - maybe even with the aim of 'liberating' the city; get the army legitimately so they'll swear allegiance to her, then burn the slavers to the ground with the dragon used in the trade. She definitely has a moral streak in her & certainly imagine her taking some form of vengeance on Mr. Charming of the slavers.

What an ending as well. I always liked Jaime. He's a bit up his own arse (when he's not up his sister's arse) so it'll be interesting to see how this will affect him. As someone said above, a knight losing his sword hand is probably worse than death. Will his father disown him like he has Tyrion? Will he just wallow in his own misery or will he adapt and make himself useful in other ways?

Just to clarify with those more eagle-eyed: that was his sword hand, yeah? I suppose it's possible he's ambidextrous, but hard to see how it won't change him in some form or another. He has already shown a grudging admiration and liking for Brienne, so I'd say there's more to come on that front (not romantically or anything, but she may be the key to his development)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surprising ending alright.

Dany understood the language as was proven when her new slave girl said something and Dany didn't even hesitate in agreeing and repeating it so that was nice to find out.

Anyone else notice Littlefinger speaking with an Irish accent when talking about Ros with Tyrion?

And just wondering what happened Arya's wolf? It ran off in the first season didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Love that everyone in here has decided it's Podraig and not Podrick like he must have some Irish connection after his prowess in the bedroom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Equally strange that Littlefinger accepted the decision without quarrel.

Suspicious until it was answered in the same episode. Littlefinger brought the kingdom to the verge of financial ruin with calamitous debt, and he left Tyrion holding the bag when things fall apart. Meanwhile he's off to bigger and better things as the acting lord of the Vale, and he'll be too busy trying to consolidate his power there to spend all his time in King's Landing performing that role.

To be fair, Robert's reckless spending and Joffrey's war were what was ultimately responsible for their debts, but Littlefinger enabled them and made it appear that he was helping the Kingdom produce more revenue than it really was through his brilliant management, when in fact he was just letting the kingdom run itself into the ground.
    Everything else was just filler really, bar perhaps Tyrion's scenes. I'm wondering - is Master of Coin supposed to be a demotion, or a humiliating role? I'm confused on that score because seems to me like Tyrion now has all the power, albeit discreetly. I can't imagine though that Tywin & Cersei would have knowingly done that.

They are aristocrats, and they think the people who actually balance their accounts are just bean counters who are beneath the people who actually have the money. Upper classes looked down on people who had to actually work and do something useful to earn a living, even successful merchants who in some cases amassed larger fortunes than them.

He has some power, but most of the decisions about how the money actually gets spent won't be up to him. Despite the disrespect, Tywin has shown he's willing to make use of the people under him, and recognizes that Tyrion has some degree of "low cunning" even if he doesn't think he has the nobility that a member of his household should have. So he's giving him a job that is important but not very befitting of a lord. Cersei may be too out of touch to even recognize that it is important.
    Podraig the legend!

I think giving back the payment was just part of the gift, arranged in advance to make him feel good. Really, they wouldn't have the authority to decline payment, since a big part of that would be going to Littlefinger, not solely to them. Littlefinger owed Tyrion a favor and Tyrion owed Podrick a favor, so they had Littlefinger set that up for Podrick as a way of settling both debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Finally we arrive at Tyrion and Littlefinger's Battle of the Dodgy Accents. One of my favourite parts of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

CastorTroy wrote:
    And just wondering what happened Arya's wolf? It ran off in the first season didn't it?
    snow_dogs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Great episode/ jaw nearly hit the floor at the end, as a non book reader I try to stay as uneducated as possible so each episode is a surprise but that can be tough to do in this forum and on the web in general. However its a long time since I've watched season 1 and 2 so my memory is a bit hazy....

Just a few questions for those who haven't read the books, is little finger going off to try and seduce the sister who was breastfeeding the 12 yr old from season 1? Also who rescued Alfie greyjoy in the forest? Is the red witch going off to try and kill / shag one of stanis's sons r brothers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd like to apologise for any ****-acting on behalf of book readers everywhere.

The hand thing was incredible to read in the books and must've been for anyone who didn't have it spoiled.

If in doubt, either don't post it or spoiler it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

allybhoy wrote: »
    Great episode/ jaw nearly hit the floor at the end, as a non book reader I try to stay as uneducated as possible so each episode is a surprise but that can be tough to do in this forum and on the web in general. However its a long time since I've watched season 1 and 2 so my memory is a bit hazy....

Just a few questions for those who haven't read the books, is little finger going off to try and seduce the sister who was breastfeeding the 12 yr old from season 1? Also who rescued Alfie greyjoy in the forest? Is the red witch going off to try and kill / shag one of stanis's sons r brothers?

Yeah, littlefinger is going to marry Catlyn's mental sister. All I know about that guy is that Theon's sister sent him. I don't think we've heard anything else about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, littlefinger is going to marry Catlyn's mental sister. All I know about that guy is that Theon's sister sent him. I don't think we've heard anything else about him.

He can turn invisible and get made fun of by Robert Sheehan. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    He can turn invisible and get made fun of by Robert Sheehan. :)

And has quite a sweet singing voice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Was it just me or did Dany say the slave said "Valar Marghulis"? which was the word that Jaquen got Arya to learn last season? I could be wrong, maybe the two words just sounded similar...

DL Saint wrote: »
    Was it just me or did Dany say the slave said "Valar Marghulis"? which was the word that Jaquen got Arya to learn last season? I could be wrong, maybe the two words just sounded similar...

The girl who was doing the translation said it to Daenerys and it is what Jaqen H'ghar said to Arya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

DL Saint wrote: »

Yeah you are right.

• Advertisement

As the phrase will probably be explained. That spoiler probably shouldn't be in this thread, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

As the phrase will probably be explained. That spoiler probably shouldn't be in this thread, imo

Yeah you're right I will remove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was explained in the episode - the translator said "Valar Morghulis" and Dany answered "Yes, All Men Must Die, but we are not men".

s.welstead wrote: »
    Love that everyone in here has decided it's Podraig and not Podrick like he must have some Irish connection after his prowess in the bedroom ;)

In fairness it is a thread for those who haven't read the book & 'Padraig' is more natural a spelling than the apparently Americanized Podrick, at least it would be on this side of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

IAmericanized

It's not "Americanised" (nice "Z" usage by the way ;)) - it's Westerosi.

There are all kind of familiar sounding names, just slightly off from the norm of our world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Surprising ending alright.

Dany understood the language as was proven when her new slave girl said something and Dany didn't even hesitate in agreeing and repeating it so that was nice to find out.

Different language, it's a High Valyrian expression - it's basically Latin in Westeros.
    Anyone else notice Littlefinger speaking with an Irish accent when talking about Ros with Tyrion?

Littlefinger's accent is all over the place. I'm not even sure if it's consistent between episodes in the same season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

3tx1jg.jpg karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

After that ending, I couldn't help but think of Arrested Development...
    J Walter Weatherman: and that's why we don't sass-mouth our captors.

Arrested Westeros is going to have a field day with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Who did the music over the end credits? They sounded Northern Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MOD Note added to Post #1 please take a moment to read

• Advertisement
Advertisement