Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unprepared Irish arrivals adding to welfare strain

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

I don't understand why these nimrods come over here and drink themselves into oblivion. It's embarrassing the lack of respect they have for this country and even themselves

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

danotroy wrote: »
    I will put my hands up and say that i was a bit foolish arriving over here expecting things to be better than they are. I listened to the talks reeled out at all the expos about jobs sponsership opportunities and shortage of skills, but i think alot of this has to do with people who return to ireland after two years on the olde WHV and make it look like they lived like kings out here. But in reality its hard work as the cost of living is high and the whv isnt a great option if you are seeking serious work (i know its primarily a holiday visa but it is a stepping stone to a proper visa). I havent found it too bad over here though. if you work hard and make connections you can get onto the path you are looking for. Stay away from the elephant and wheelbarrow and if your asked to a bbq or a childs footy game or even to watch your boss play cricket GO

Hi, can I ask about this; I thought the Aussies were very strict about the type of work that could be taken up with the WHV. How do you get from a WHV to a proper visa? Is it a matter of taking up work there and applying for a work permit? I avoided the WHV previously because I thought I wouldn't be able to get serious work or get a proper visa. Thanks.

I don't understand why these nimrods come over here and drink themselves into oblivion. It's embarrassing the lack of respect they have for this country and even themselves

I couldn't agree more. Any longer period of time that I've spent abroad, I've done well to abondon the Irish connection. Those fools ruin our reputation. Probably my favourite experience of this was, when staying in a really top hotel in Rome, the hotel staff at the counter told my family 'you're the quietest Irish people we've ever met. All the Irish who stay here get really drunk and loud or violent'. I couldn't understand how uncultured people could afford an expensive, top hotel like that, there's a lot to see when you're sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Hi, can I ask about this; I thought the Aussies were very strict about the type of work that could be taken up with the WHV. How do you get from a WHV to a proper visa? Is it a matter of taking up work there and applying for a work permit? I avoided the WHV previously because I thought I wouldn't be able to get serious work or get a proper visa. Thanks.

On a WHV you can work any job as there are no restrictions on what "type" of job you can do. e.g you could practice as a doctor if your skills and experience were recognised and a short term contact was available, as you are only allowed to work with one employer for 6 months. The 6 month rule is very limiting on a professional level. Working as a Tradesman is much easier on a WHV as it is less formal as you can do your white card get hired work hard and get offered sponsorship in some lucky cases. However if you are a young professional just out of college firms are very unlikely to hire you on a whv as they know you have only 6 months with them but short contacts can be an option. On seek (job seekers website) many employers state you must have full working rights to apply for any job. In essence if your on a WHV you have to make a good case for a company to hire you and that is pretty hard to do when you may not have any contacts in the industry. However if I was 29/30 and had 5-6 years’ experience behind you in your industry and you establish that there are a substantial amount of jobs advertised that you are qualified for and you have nothing to lose a WHV is a good option as it allows you to come to Australia for 2 years if you do farm work and try and secure a job that will offer you sponsorship over here rather than trying from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Anytime I'm asked advice about Australia I always play it down a little bit and always emphasize how expensive it is, and how hard it is to get work. No one walks into a job off the plane, its a myth.

The great thing about Australia is that the opportunity is here, you have choices, options, prospects, you just have to go out and work hard and you will get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Mackman wrote: »
    No one walks into a job off the plane, its a .

Not to sound big headed or anything but when I arrived in Melbourne in 2011 I had something like 8 interviews lined up after one week. If you are experienced in your field and there is demand for that work you can almost walk into a job off a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Not to sound big headed or anything but when I arrived in Melbourne in 2011 I had something like 8 interviews lined up after one week. If you are experienced in your field and there is demand for that work you can almost walk into a job off a plane.

Me too, even had a few offers for 'up in d mines' before I left home.

All depends on what you do and that was a year and a half ago now. The same demand doesnt exist any more really.

Opening a huge can of worms here but its different with hospotality I do not mean to offend. I have worked in it for 10 years and I think it is an unskilled job in respect of formal training. The experience I have would let me walk into the type of hospotality job I want. When i went looking for a better job in March of last year and did my research i had many offers good offers from good bars but i dont see my future in hosptality.

I do agree though if you have the right experience in the right field you can make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

I couldn't agree more. Any longer period of time that I've spent abroad, I've done well to abondon the Irish connection. Those fools ruin our reputation. Probably my favourite experience of this was, when staying in a really top hotel in Rome, the hotel staff at the counter told my family 'you're the quietest Irish people we've ever met. All the Irish who stay here get really drunk and loud or violent'. I couldn't understand how uncultured people could afford an expensive, top hotel like that, there's a lot to see when you're sober.

How exactly do you abondon the Irish connection? Would have thought your Irish accent would give it away? Unless you try and sound like the locals!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . , I couldn't understand how uncultured people could afford an expensive, top hotel like that . . .
    It's not cluture that makes you rich, NewsMeQuick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Itoa wrote: »
    How exactly do you abondon the Irish connection? Would have thought your Irish accent would give it away? Unless you try and sound like the locals!
    I reckon he means distancing yourself from situations from drunken mob behaviour around cultural centres like Irish pubs etc....

No need for reprogramming, just need for awareness that when you're in a drunken group away from home that the rules are the same for you as for the locals.

Well Rome itself is pretty cultural, yeah. It's not the best place for a 'drinking holiday'.

Thanks for the info. Danotroy. I'll keep that in mind. I just discovered something, if anyone is interested in a WHV but want to get around the work limitations, you may like to read this:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

NewsMeQuick: Are you serious? Getting round the 6 month work by getting sponsored?

That was 2 years old that post. Things have changed a lot recently in regards to sponsorship.....might want to have a look at a few of the recent sponsorship threads and see

Dats_rite wrote: »
    NewsMeQuick: Are you serious? Getting round the 6 month work by getting sponsored?

That was 2 years old that post. Things have changed a lot recently in regards to sponsorship.....might want to have a look at a few of the recent sponsorship threads and see

nothing has changed yet has it i thought july was when it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

The amount of people being sponsored has definitely gone down, that's what I mean has changed from 2 years ago.

In the post they were talking about loads of people getting sponsored, a lot different now 2 years on.

in my limited experience from the guys i know from the hostel I stayed in for a good while anyone who is a tradesman and was serious about sponsored are all sponsored or on bridging visa to get sponsored.

Dats_rite wrote: »

No, I think you misunderstood me, that's not what I meant.

Advertisement