Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things allowed for junior cert

Options
  • 15-04-2013 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, im just wondering what are we allowed to bring with us to the junior cert e.g. bags, coats, pencil case etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

JohnAD wrote: »
    Hi, im just wondering what are we allowed to bring with us to the junior cert e.g. bags, coats, pencil case etc

Pencil case and your school uniform
    Trust me there is no way of cheating, lol
    Nothing else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depending on your supervisor, you may be allowed bring quiet sweets or food/drink. No rustling sweet papers, smelly foods, bottles of fizzy drinks etc..

Obviously anyone with diabetes or a similar condition will be allowed what they need.

Under no circumstances bring a phone into the centre. It's really not worth the hassle it could get you into (on or off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I've heard you have to leave your bags(if you do bring one) outside the examination room, like at the hall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes.
    Again, it depends on the centre and the supervisor. If it's a large room, they might be happy enough with the bags at one end of the room away from the candidates, if not, they might prefer them outside.

Best arrive with as little 'luggage' as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

spurious wrote: »
    Yes.
    Again, it depends on the centre and the supervisor. If it's a large room, they might be happy enough with the bags at one end of the room away from the candidates, if not, they might prefer them outside.

Best arrive with as little 'luggage' as possible.

Hi spurious No point in starting new thread. When do french Spanish Irish aurals take place

• Advertisement

For Junior Cert.?
    The tests were to be held at any time between 21 January and 22 March, 2013.
    The optional mark sheets have to be back this week.

edit** I beg your pardon, I thought you meant the optional orals.
    Aren't the aurals done during the exam time in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yep aurals take place on same day as corresponding written exam.
    Having worked in a number of schools I would suggest bringing pens, a pencil, sharpener, eraser, highlighter and ruler, all in a transparent plastic bag (think Ryanair flight restrictions!) so that it's clear to the examiner you have no cheat notes etc and also so you won't annoy other students by rummaging in the murky depths of a pencil case :)
    Don't use tipp ex in an exam, just bracket off any mistakes and put one line through the text (no need to completely obliterate)
    Most schools will allocate an area for bags and jackets etc outside of the exam centre, as per SEC guidelines.
    See link below for full list of items you can't bring into exam hall (no list of items you can bring!)
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=gy

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

spurious wrote: »
    For Junior Cert.?
    The tests were to be held at any time between 21 January and 22 March, 2013.
    The optional mark sheets have to be back this week.

edit** I beg your pardon, I thought you meant the optional orals.
    Aren't the aurals done during the exam time in June?

Ok. I thought they were in May. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnAD

Do guys have any tips on how to do well in the junior certificate espercially.in geography like what could.come up and any effective study methods

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

JohnAD wrote: »
    Do guys have any tips on how to do well in the junior certificate espercially.in geography like what could.come up and any effective study methods

I can't advise you for geography in particular, but general advice: practice answering questions from past papers (you should time yourself to see if you can write effective answers in the time allocated per question in the exam), use marking schemes at www.examinations.ie to check your answers.
    Probably the biggest mistake I see junior cert students making is to write down exactly what they know about x, y or z, instead of just answering the question that is asked! I know this sounds really obvious, but pay attention to the number of marks allocated for the specific question you're answering, give the number of points you are instructed to give, there's a limited number of marks available and no bonus points :)
    Make sure you are familiar with how the questions are phrased in each subject, and make sure you understand what's called for: for example, the difference between being asked to (1) explain, (2) describe, (3) list, (4) compare and contract, (5) differentiate between, etc etc.
    As you study, make a note of sections you're not sure of, then check with the teacher or a friend who is good at the particular subject: once you've ticked these areas off your list you'll feel more confident.
    Best of luck in the Junior Cert!

• Advertisement
Advertisement