Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast Shooting Club Spring Open 2013

• 15-04-2013 8:30am
    Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

Thanks to all the people at ECSC, it was an interesting competition yesterday. The wind was... fun. It's the first time I've ever used the sound of a wind flag as a wind indicator.

143904080.gif

:eek: :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was not over myself, but i spoke to a couple of lads last night who were at the midlands yesterday. Average low wind speed of 25mph, up to highs of 39mph. Then the occasional "gust" that was beyond even that.

That's a 14mph (average) pick up, and let off. Seriously hard day to shoot in. I shot in 20-24 mph and was looking at 1.5 inches of drift (full value wind). in the gif it seems to be just that.

What was the hold/adjustments? I'd say i was huge. Scores probably reflected this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

My first two shots were in the 4-ring downwind. Relying on the flag making a particular noise for my wind condition, since I couldn't see any in position, was less than perfect, and at one point I got a 7 on a gust I didn't see or hear. Scores definitely reflected the conditions, but I think it was more shootable than the results showed. Right up until my last card of course, where it was totally unreadable, and entirely frustrating. :p

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Cass wrote: »
    What was the hold/adjustments? I'd say i was huge.

If I remember the adjustments I made I think it was about 25 clicks which is roughly 5 rings worth which is about an inch and a half give or take a bit.

The lull-to-gust difference for me was roughly from 9.0 on one side of the diagram to 9.0 on the other which is about an inch and a quarter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Small tip for all novices.

When the wind flag blows away, and the pole falls over - don't fire. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement