Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Although those bags might be waterproof, they don't look to comfortable to me compared to a proper rucksack (see previous thread on what to look for in one of those).

Personally, I'd go for a traditional rucksack plus a suitably sized waterproof liner such as one of these ... http://www.podsacs.com/accessories_rucksac_liner.html unless you have some very specific requirements.

I used one of these on the Maamturks Challenge at the weekend, and if it can keep my stuff dry in those conditions, it can cope with anything.

Alternatively, there's always the low-tech solution of a suitably sized black plastic bin bag as a rucksack liner .. worked for me for years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Thanks Alun, do you have a link to the thread you mentioned??

jimmer123 wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, do you have a link to the thread you mentioned??
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056912074

Or just search for "rucksack" in this forum, plenty of other threads on the topic, as you'd expect.

EDIT: I should add that if you're looking for "waterproof", as in "contents will not get wet if I drop it into a river for several minutes" then possibly there are products specifically made for this purpose. I'm thinking of bags designed for carrying kit in canoes / kayaks etc.

I seen the dry bags for canoes / kayaks.

Say I did use a rucksack with a dry bag inside would the rucksack not just take on water and weigh me down when it rained as they are not waterproof or is that not the case?

Most rucksacks these days are made from lightweight synthetic materials so they wouldn't really get waterlogged and heavy, no, but they're not waterproof. The older ones that were made from heavier, canvas like materials would do though.

Also most modern sacks have some kind of rain cover that stows away in a pocket at the bottom of the bag, but these aren't perfect either ... fiddly to put on and off, obscure the external pockets when they're on, and in high winds can easily become detached and flail about like a parachute / spinnaker.

• Advertisement

Ok cool thanks for the good advice I appreciate it

Advertisement