Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Gel

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good hair gel for a one year old??
    I don't want anything that will look too heavy or caked on, I keep his hair quite short but it is also quite fine so it will often be sticking up when he wakes up but won't go down when brushed.
    I don't mind if it goes on wet looking as long as it dries to be invisible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good hair gel for a one year old??
    I don't want anything that will look too heavy or caked on, I keep his hair quite short but it is also quite fine so it will often be sticking up when he wakes up but won't go down when brushed.
    I don't mind if it goes on wet looking as long as it dries to be invisible.

We put a bit of my husbands brylcreme hair gel in...his hair is a bit thicker than your guy"s though so it seems to become invisible when it dries.

Have you tried wetting the comb when you brush? some days that works for us, but others we need the gel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'd be interested in this, particularly any non-chemical, not so harsh ones. My 8 1/2mth old has loads of hair, some quite long and it is absolutely out of control as the hairs are so fine. He looks like a mad scientist most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Yeah somedays water works but other not.
    I had a good fine mist spray that I used to get out of the Avon but now they have stopped trading in Ireland & I've run out so I'm looking for a replacement!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I use a tiny bit of V05 wax on my 3year old's hair if it's just standing up. Had to buy him his own as his Daddy hasn't had hair control problems for nearly 10 years! :P

That said, it was standing up this morning and he wouldn't let me near it. Said he liked it looking like a hedgehog. What can you say to that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I can't believe I'm the first to ask - why on earth would you want to use gel on a 1 year old?
    I would either wet the hair lightly, or just leave it sticking up.

At that age I wouldn't want to put anything on their scalp, maybe that's just me

• Advertisement

I do use water when I can get away with it & I wouldn't bring my son out with his hair sticking up for the same reasons I wouldn't bring him out with stains on his clothes.
    Good grooming is just as good a life skill to teach a child as good manners, sharing, safety etc.

dub_skav wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm the first to ask - why on earth would you want to use gel on a 1 year old?
    I would either wet the hair lightly, or just leave it sticking up.

At that age I wouldn't want to put anything on their scalp, maybe that's just me

It doesn't go on their scalp...it goes on the ends of their hair....boys should be just as groomed as girls when going out...but you can't put a hairband/clip/ponytail in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I think it's an adorable conversation and forgot about the probs boys must have :)
    Glad to see its not just the one yr old girls who have problems with their hair and issues like whether to get it cut or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And here was me thinking that messy hair is adorable. But apparently I'm just depriving my son of essential life skills. No beauty pageants for my little darlings then.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And here was me thinking that messy hair is adorable. But apparently I'm just depriving my son of essential life skills. No beauty pageants for my little darlings then.

You think messy hair is adorable I prefer my son's short & neat, each to their own!!!

• Advertisement

I have no problem with anybody's preferences or using hair gel if you want to but I don't think that some messy hair will exactly impact their personal grooming skills.

Well we'll just have to agreed to disagree then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I do use water when I can get away with it & I wouldn't bring my son out with his hair sticking up for the same reasons I wouldn't bring him out with stains on his clothes.
    Good grooming is just as good a life skill to teach a child as good manners, sharing, safety etc.

Neatness is one thing, but hair gel on a one year old is not good manners, safety or sharing. When you take it that far it's vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

pwurple wrote: »
    Neatness is one thing, but hair gel on a one year old is not good manners, safety or sharing. When you take it that far it's vanity.

She didn't say it was? She said good grooming is an important life skill as are good manners, safety or sharing.
    I don't care either way about the gel - I don't see what harm it could possibly do and I don't see why a tip on a nice brand should spark another daft debate. She just asked for a recommendation - not an argument...

Sorry if I'm being over sensitive but I just hate that u can't ask something on boards any more without a debate starting when u actually just wanted a recommendation. I realise that it's a public board and by saying anything at all u out urself open to that but I just think its a shame that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

a tiny amount of your usual baby oil rubbed between your hands and smoothed gently over his head should work to remove static and calm things down, no safety issue issues either :)
    if that didn't work i'd try a spray-on leave in conditioner, again a tiny amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

dee_mc wrote: »
    a tiny amount of your usual baby oil rubbed between your hands and smoothed gently over his head should work to remove static and calm things down, no safety issue issues either :)
    if that didn't work i'd try a spray-on leave in conditioner, again a tiny amount.
    Yeah my sister used leave in conditioner on her kids as they had crazy curly hair :) you could probably get a kids one I'm sure! Might be worth a try :)

Why does every thread have to descend into a debate about life lessons...its a bit of hair gel on their hair....its not sending them to a beautician for eye brow threading and a make over just a simple bit of discreet hair gel to tidy their appearance.

Not sure about the baby oil as his hair is quite fine & would look greasy if I put oil in it, even the smallest amount.
    I might try & find a water based leave in conditioner though that might do the trick, thanks for the suggestion ;-)

Why does every thread have to descend into a debate about life lessons...its a bit of hair gel on their hair....its not sending them to a beautician for eye brow threading and a make over just a simple bit of discreet hair gel to tidy their appearance.
    When it's suggested that those of us who let children out of the house with messy hair don't care about personal grooming.

I suggest a haircut if it's untidy.

I use a leave in conditioner in my 2 year old's hair if it's getting tangled. 1 part ordinary conditioner to 4 parts water in a spray bottle.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    When it's suggested that those of us who let children out of the house with messy hair don't care about personal grooming.

No one suggested that but you....

'And here was me thinking that messy hair is adorable. But apparently I'm just depriving my son of essential life skills. No beauty pageants for my little darlings then.'

Hope the conditioner works MS

I suggest a haircut if it's untidy.

Every morning? Lol :D

Every morning? Lol :D
    Might need a lawnmower if it grows that fast. :D

Might need a lawnmower if it grows that fast. :D

Or maybe just the hair gel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I think the teenage years are soon enough for hair gel, earrings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

He's 1, either wet the hair a bit or leave it

Ok people seriously....it's a tiny bit of hair gel, I've said I don't want anything too heavy, I've said I want it to dry invisible (ie. water based), I'm not letting the child play with broken glass here so a bit of perspective would go far.

As for just getting his hair cut it's that inbetween cuts stage that the sticking up really occurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My little one has very curly hair that can be hard to brush so I often use a spray in, leave in conditioner. The one I have is Johnson and Johnson, I just got it in the supermarket with all the baby shampoos.

Didn't know Johnson & Johnson did a leave in conditioner must keep an eye out for it when I go shopping, thanks!

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone was looking for something similar I found exactly what I was looking for in Mr. Price for just €1.49.
    It's a light weight mist spray gel so it's really light & it dries invisible.
    It's also water based for those worrying about scalp care ;-)

Advertisement