Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU Degree: Jobs of the future?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi, I am strongly considering retaining & doing a degree with the Open University [BSc (Hons)] in computing & IT (more expensive than college but allows me to still work and allows me complete quicker than night school).

The two pathways I am interested in are Software Development or Computer Science (& possibly Digital technologies), the degree's are identical except the second stage where you focus on:

Software Development: Object-oriented Java programming (M250) and Software development with Java (M256).
    Computer Science: Object-oriented Java programming (M250) and Algorithms, data structures and computability (M269).
    Digital technologies: Communication and information technologies (T215)

The reason Digital technologies interests me is that this module you are "learning about the core principles upon which new technologies are built." and preparing yourself to move with future technologies. Which specialties in your opinion would best prepare me for the workplace? Is it best to specialize in Java, or go more loose and learn about other languages later?

Notes that all 3 pathways include the above modules in smaller modules, they only focus on what I have listed above.

If you want to check out the 3 pathways the links are
    Software development: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q62-12.htm
    Computer Science: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q62-9.htm
    Digital technologies: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q62-10.htm
    many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

Without reading the details, the Computer Science one sounds more rounded than the 'Java' course.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

You do relise it is 3843 sterling a year and that night time study in a Irish college is only 3200 so its significantly more expensive.

Actually I take that back, it roughly the same, as its over three years than the 4 x 3200 in a IT here so it the same roughly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd wonder how much weight that would hold -v- going the traditional route of full/part time college. Full time you'll be getting industry experience with internships and part time you'd generally be expected to be doing some work in IT or similar. If you're studying that way and not working in IT/Technology, what would your employment prospects realistically be upon completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

I'd wonder how much weight that would hold -v- going the traditional route of full/part time college. Full time you'll be getting industry experience with internships and part time you'd generally be expected to be doing some work in IT or similar. If you're studying that way and not working in IT/Technology, what would your employment prospects realistically be upon completion?

Quite honestly as good as any I believe, I mentor students for a large multinational as well as interview, not all full time degrees have a work experience component so some parttime students are doing an additional six months work, the fact a person can manage a full time job, achieve a degree and maintain a social and family life tells me more about that person in terms of time skills and their ability to prioritise that puts them ahead of a twenty three year old with nothing else to do bar go to college full time.

Basically the lack of work experiece is a non issue for us, at the end of the day your hiring a graduate for a specific role, one which they may not have encountered before in any shape of fashion and six months of changing laptops, monitors or pulling in cable will not ready them for it in any fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

The OU operate an Hons degree similar to a UK Three Year Hons Degree.

It's self passed study and I think you can spend upto seven years doing it.

They have Level 1,2 and 3 obviously to match years 1,2 and 3 in a UK degree. You have to get 120 points at each level. The OU don't use the ECTS system but 1 ECTS credit is aprox 2 OU points. You can get an open degree i.e. you study what ever you want at each level get the 360 points and you get an un named degree. For a named degree they have a prescribed path with particular subjects.

They do give credit for previous study at an IT or Uni. Must be within the last I think 12 years.

They have an office in Dublin so when need to contact them you don't have to ring the UK. They also have regular advice days in Dublin and I think in other cities here.

The tutorials are usualy in Dublin but I've seen one in Limerick.

The materials they give you are very good. Well for MST 121 - Using Maths and for the M250 course above they are very good.

The module web site is excellent. The study planner alone that matches the material is fantastic, simple idea but most IT's in Ireland don't do it because it would mean having to do the job properly and plan the course properly.

It is expensive. Currently GB£ 1250 per 30 point module. Pro rata for 15 or 60 points. That's €1450. They will give you a loan but be careful. In the South it has to be repaid before the end of the module. For the M250 I'll start paying in Nov and finish in June. From experience of the MST 121 it comes quick and fast adding another bill every month.

I'm using the OU to fill in some gaps and will then simply do 4th year in a normal IT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement