Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drumediting - not midi

• 15-04-2013 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Any one willing to advise on best practise on drum editing ?

I know protools has a handy edit process, but any overall tips ?

do you quantise shells only or hi hats / overheads ? i find hi hats suffer time wise in keeping them tight and find it very difficult to edit and quantise them smoothly .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Can you post a snippet with what you are having issues with at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

pro tools multitrack beat detective will pull everything into place together. id never edit a drumkit track by track. group everything so you dont mess with phase relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

hmm, cymbals are miced, shells are midi samples - i can render the midi tracks to wav tracks

i have two over head mic cymbal tracks , plus one hihat close mic , and one ride close mic
    no shells in any of these - only tiny clicks of roland pad hits

snare midi track
    same for kick and toms
    i also have a midi stero shell only overhead track and midi stereo shell only room track

there would be no phase relationship between the mic'd and the rendered midi tracks .
    but would be to each others format

jeez , maybe i should go back to all midi tracks and forget live cymbals .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

Convert everything to audio, then try doing the multitrack editing with everything in.
    Not sure how well it'll work, but only one way to find out.
    Otherwise, quantize your cymbal tracks first.
    Then just move your midi notes around to lock in with the quantized cymbals.

Logic's phase-locked swipe comping and Flex Editing is brilliant for editing live drums, and the groove template feature is handy for stuff like locking the bass into the kick too. Sample re-enforcement is also very easy.

Always better to just get a tight take mind you.

fitz wrote: »
    Always better to just get a tight take mind you.

steady on , there's no need for that :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I generally just quantize the kick drums. Cutting across the whole kit on each kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Pocketing as the Nashville boys call it is pushing or pulling a kit closer to the beat in a musical fashion.

Broad Rules of thumb in my experience is don't have anything ahead of the beat - I personally don't like the feel of anything landing early.

Keep things within about 12 miliseconds window from grid - that is anything later than that may benefit from a pull or push.

Sometimes flams between snares and kicks can be hidden by just moving the kick after having moved the kit as good as possible .

Less than ideal - but can be a track saver.

I also find that when I feel I'm playing bass well with a good drum track I'm actually behind that beat . Another thing to look at in search of groove .

i noticed my bass playing sits behind the drum track timing as well , funny that

what im finding is cleaning up the hi hats is near impossible .

so , i made the click in the cans louder and the hats mics loudder , , this seems to help get a tighter take .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i noticed my bass playing sits behind the drum track timing as well , funny that

what im finding is cleaning up the hi hats is near impossible .

so , i made the click in the cans louder and the hats mics loudder , , this seems to help get a tighter take .

Really would be great to get a loop/section of the stems to help here! :)

What about this... if you have a gate on the snare.... take it off and allow the bleed from OH/Hats etc.. Then start moving the snare track out of phase very slowly. You might find the hats and snare both become more present (at the cost of maybe some punch / definition) - but then you can just add a snare over the top via midi/audio trigger?

Really hard to help though without some examples! :)

Advertisement