Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRAMORE--"The South-East's PREMIER tourist resort"!

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

i heard tramore being described as such on radio this morning....
    sure, tramore has potential, but at this stage it would be hard to agree with the statement. It's been a long time since tramore was a top-class destination for tourists in ireland..

in fact i would go as far as to say that Dungarvan and west waterford (lismore/ardmore) is promoting itself better and would now be regarded as THE place to visit in co waterford.

ANY THOUGHTS???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any thoughts? Yes I am thinking you don't really have anything useful to say. Someone is trying to promote Tramore (if being a bit creative) and you are trying to knock it down. Are you from Dungarvan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore is much nicer than Dungarvan anyway and has much more to do. You have to remember that the council looked after west Waterford and neglected Tramore.

Was it not Lismore, or somewhere else in county Waterford, that only just launched a town map and made a song and dance about it in the local media? Tramore has had a ****ty basic one for years but now has a much better and much more comprehensive map in the past five years plus various other guides.

Lismore is an absolutely gorgeous town, don't get me wrong and Tramore could learn a lot from them. But Tramore is the resort and has many absolutely gorgeous villages and towns surrounding it. Tramore is the heart of the South East offering a lot within the town but shouldn't forget the gorgeous surroundings which are not pushed enough.

The premier part is just marketing a tag line.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

Sully wrote: »
    Tramore is much nicer than Dungarvan
    :pac::pac::pac:;) Thats some lie . You must live there Sully , to come out with a statement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

West Waterford does promote itself better. I flew from Waterford Airport a few weeks ago and read some of the literature that's there for arriving tourists. Tramore gets about one line and after that it's all about the attractions of Lismore, Cappoquin and Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

by resort i presume they mean beach area so Lismore is irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

Tramore is actually better than dungarvan it has the biggest beach in waterford. it has a few surf clubs and is near the adventure centre in dunmore east to name a few activities. tramore is also near waterford city where there are trains and bus services including jj kavanagh bus services from tramore to dublin. Theres not a lot of activites down in dungarvan as far as i know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    West Waterford does promote itself better. I flew from Waterford Airport a few weeks ago and read some of the literature that's there for arriving tourists. Tramore gets about one line and after that it's all about the attractions of Lismore, Cappoquin and Dungarvan.

Well there is also a 20 page booklet on Tramore at the Airport along with all the other tourist information on the region, plus a new leaflet on Things To Do going there tomorrow. Not sure what literature you read where it only covered Tramore briefly? Failte Ireland I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Not that day there wasn't. I was delayed for 3 hours so I read anything that was there. Anyway if there normally is then great.

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    Not that day there wasn't. I was delayed for 3 hours so I read anything that was there. Anyway if there normally is then great.

I left out a good few back in May, so will check it again tomorrow and more frequently. Good to see there being taken! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It is just a marketing statement, Tramore has a lot going for it, but to me it is aimed at a particular market ( Chip shop and amusements).

It needs to know does it want to continue to aim for that market or does it want to go for a different market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The toilets in Newtown Cove were locked on the Sunday of the last heatwave. Absolutely disgusting.

7upfree wrote: »
    The toilets in Newtown Cove were locked on the Sunday of the last heatwave. Absolutely disgusting.

The toilets in Tramore have been a bit of a fiasco for a long time over lack of funding to open them on the prom, so don't expect much different at Newtown Cove! The club now opens and closes them, but there not always there. The club membership is €20 - go and join and maybe they will be able to keep them open, clean them, toilet paper and so on along with the overall funding for maintaining and improving the area.

The toilets in Tramore have been a bit of a fiasco for a long time over lack of funding to open them on the prom, so don't expect much different at Newtown Cove! The club now opens and closes them, but there not always there. The club membership is €20 - go and join and maybe they will be able to keep them open, clean them, toilet paper and so on along with the overall funding for maintaining and improving the area.

Are they not the council's responsibility? They say they have no budget for it? Unfortunately this is not unique to Tramore. We sell Ireland as a tourist destination then tell people to sod off. I don't think anyone would have a problem paying 50c or so per use. As long as they were manned, presentable, and above all - clean.

Remember - not all visitors to Newtown Cove go there to swim.

Tramore is much nicer than Dungarvan anyway and has much more to do. You have to remember that the council looked after west Waterford and neglected Tramore.

1. It IS a premier resort. One of the best beaches in the country - if not Europe.

2. Tramore has indeed been neglected by the West, as is the city now, with three County TDs.

3. In fairness, Dungarvan is beautiful. Tramore cannot compete.

Are they not the council's responsibility? They say they have no budget for it? Unfortunately this is not unique to Tramore. We sell Ireland as a tourist destination then tell people to sod off. I don't think anyone would have a problem paying 50c or so per use. As long as they were manned, presentable, and above all - clean.

Remember - not all visitors to Newtown Cove go there to swim.

They are, but the council appear to have handed it over to the club to look after. I agree, a pay as you go toilet (which is common in Europe) would be a good idea.
    1. It IS a premier resort. One of the best beaches in the country - if not Europe.

I never said it wasn't.
    2. Tramore has indeed been neglected by the West, as is the city now, with three County TDs.

Tramore isn't neglected as such by the TDs, but more (in my view) by the county council. Dungarvan / West Waterford appears to get a lot more funding than Tramore for man years.
    3. In fairness, Dungarvan is beautiful. Tramore cannot compete.

Ill agree to disagree. :)

I never said it wasn't.
    The premier part is just marketing a tag line.

?

?

It is marketing. I don't disagree with it, but its just a marketing tagline. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The way I see it, the problem is two fold.

There may very well be a market not fully tapped into because of a lack of up-market four/five star hotels with leisure facilities and stuff to do for kids. Such a hotel was shot down on the outskirts of Tramore over planning and due to its location. It would have been developed by a local businessman.

There is often a suggestion that Tramores major problem is the amusements. I disagree. The park has seen major improvement in the last few years and is now completely fenced in with limited exits. The fencing and the park itself is kept in good shape - clean, tidy and secure. The food stalls that people felt were tacky are now in the perimeter of the park. You have indoor arcades directly across and you had a small hotel at the top which didn't do to badly. This area is thronged and is one of the busiest areas with many families, kids and teenagers who actively seek to come to Tramore purely for this. The arcades and amusements remain very popular with tourists, at least with Irish travelers. I can see this being a local but also working directly with tourists details. I frequently get contacted on the Discover Tramore Facebook (with over 5,500 fans) and by email about the park. The only complaint is about the price overall of a stay in Tramore including a visit to the park!!

The lower promenade has actually become much more improved since the councils recent investment and despite my reservations and concerns at the start, I think it has been a generally good job well done. The area is much improved and it attracts a different type of crowd lately that wish to be away from the park. There are three cafes with outdoor seating and a popular chip shop. The businesses keep the area clean and tidy, emptying bins into larger ones when its busy. Yesterday, they even got some live music to add to the atmosphere. One of the cafes is also the home to Ireland's oldest active surf club, T-Bay. There is also two Surf Shops on the lower promenade and three other surf schools.

The beach is long enough to accommodate those who want to be near the park and those who want to be away from the park. In fact, its so long you can park your gear well away from the crowds and still get good sun, good sand and head out for a swim without having to hear the hustle and bustle of the crowds or the park.

Accommodation wise - the Majestic & the Grand Hotel have recently seen the inside renovated. The Majestic had its outside painted more recently. O'Shea's I don't know for certain when they did improvements. These are three star graded hotels and while not everybody's cup of tea because of the star rating, they remain very popular with both families and tour buses to say the least. There all very well established hotels, very popular and generally kept busy. They all have live music and The Grand has plenty of entertainment to keep the kids happy including Free Kids Discos. These hotels are needed and they cater for large numbers annually.

Aside from hotels, Tramore has numerous award winning family fun B&Bs that cater for the European & American (and the Irish to some degree) tourists who want to be away from the town center, in quiet surrounds, and somewhere completely different than a hotel. There are numerous very good quality and high standard 4 star B&Bs, in addition to the numerous very well catered 3 star B&Bs. The standards set for these B&Bs to reach is very high, despite the Irish theory that suggests otherwise. I'm not dismissing the standard of holiday homes/apartments and caravan parks - I am focusing on the hotels and B&Bs for this conversation as its more relevant.

So, I feel that Tramore is catering for a range of clientele. A four star hotel may add to this, but its not the stumbling block.

Advertisement