Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPI- what difference between phones?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

In another thread ppi was mentioned in relation to display in phones etc.

I was trying to compare 2 phones- one has ppi of 330 and the other 233.

Would this be very noticeable when using the phone? I don't fully understand how big the difference needs to be to make a noticeable difference. Maybe someone here could explain it better to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's the pixel density http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

It's the amount of dots per inch, the more dots, the more vivid the image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Ok understand it bit better.

Would 100 ppi be classed as a big difference?

Would it need to be more/less to be noticeable to the eye?

The picture being displayed on your phone is made up of tiny dots of colour (the same as your tv). The higher the ppi the better the resolution (ie going from standard definition on a tv to HD). 300 ppi means for every inch there are 300 pixels (dots of colour).
    What ppi is your current phone?
    I'll give a couple of examples of ppi. Iphone 3GS-165 ppi, Iphone 4 is 330 ppi, iphone 5 is 326 ppi.
    330 is at the high end of ppi but 233 is still pretty good. If you put both phones beside each other, you would probably notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

My current is 330

The phone I'm thinking about buying is 233 so I'm a little concerned that it would be a step backwards. If the difference was small I wouldn't mind, I'd just be concerned it was a big jump

Advertisement